MB 4.0.1: New Interface

siliconman01

Thanks for the feedback, @siliconman01!

For anyone reading this topic, here is a breakdown for some of the main user interface changes.

Detection History
Quarantine, exclusions (renamed to "Allow List") and quarantine history can be found here.

detection_history.gif.37081aabfc7b5472db9f44fc3d6e7d1c.gif

Scanner
Threat Scan, Hyper Scan (renamed to "Quick Scan"), Custom Scan, Scan Scheduler and Reports can be found here.

scanner.gif.815bd611368e2999e778511356567f9d.gif

Settings
Configuration settings have been split into three main categories: General, Notifications and Security.

settings.gif.cdf02697154a8692a9a0d74399c34dc9.gif

Real-Time Protection
New pages have been added that break down detection details for each of the Real-Time Protection modules.

real_time_protection.gif.c32e58b129b4f1f5d2f119f72c77ee13.gif

In-Progress Scanner Page
A new animation has been added to the in-progress scan page. Additional scan statistics have been added to the results as well.

threat_scan.gif.8015f225bbdd89ee8f4d3bc3d46b0658.gif

Allow List
Exclusions has been renamed to "Allow List", with new graphics and exclusion type selection page added.

allow_list.gif.126b2f4ad2a09c879b7ee1ea060d5188.gif

Hi,

I installed MB4 Beta, as a test, to have a look at it. Installation over 3.8.3 without any problem.

I like the new interface very much, find it quite easy to use.

Made 2 scans (quick & threat) and both completed a little bit faster than with the previous version. No FP up to now.

(Win10 1903 - Build 18362.295)

Edited by throkr
typo

One question: where / how can I see if the update package component is up to date (the main UI of previous versions had a line in the bottom right corner showing this information) ?

I know these updates happen every hour (I configured this setting this way) and I can find the details under the "about" tab but that doesn't really tell me if I have the latest package ...

Thanks for your time. 🙂

Guys, since I posted elsewhere I thought it only fair I post here too.  What's up with the cartoon robot?  This isn't something I would expect from a serious security program.  Who are you targeting?  Teenagers?  It certainly doesn't instil any sense of comfort in me (or others).

Thanks for considering.

Edited by Krusty
Correct Spelling Error

@Krusty this is not a problem with the new GUI for the new release of MBv4beta . I myself I like the new GUI of the MB version 4 beta and if you look at the Malwarebytes’s website then you’ll see the almost the same and I like this on MB website too :) and the Malwarebytes designer team are still working hard on the GUI . hope this to helps

28 minutes ago, Gt-truth said:

@Krusty this is not a problem with the new GUI for the new release of MBv4beta . I myself I like the new GUI of the MB version 4 beta and if you look at the Malwarebytes’s website then you’ll see the almost the same and I like this on MB website too :) and the Malwarebytes designer team are still working hard on the GUI . hope this to helps

Thanks @Gt-truth, but no this does not help at all. The new GUI aside from the robot is fine, but including the robot makes the whole program look like a kids toy and not a serious anti-malware removal tool.  If MalwareBytes want to be taken seriously by adults then the robot should go.

Come on guys.  What's with the cartoon figures?  Just leave it blank like the other tabs.  Otherwise, looks good...clean and concise.  Also, like MB promised sooooo long ago, to allow the users to clear history.  Do not see it from the screenshots.  I have to do it manually.

"Simple Elegance"

Robert

Kudo's to the designers that work hard on the new GUI. Some like it and some don't, can't satisfy everyone. To me it's what's under the hood that counts. :)

I like Zero (that's the robot's name), personally.  I think he makes Malwarebytes stand out more, especially these days where nearly every app (including security apps) look virtually identical with flat, featureless UIs and solid color controls with no dimension, shading or gradients, and with tons of blank space making them look more like boring websites than applications (I know this is by design and is precisely the look they're all going for because 'modern' and 'cloud' and 'mobile' and 'scaling', but as a design language I personally think it just sucks and it's too often hard to tell the difference between information in such UIs and their controls, but maybe that's just me).  In contrast, having Zero there breaks things up a bit and adds a little flavor and style to it without obstructing the flow or usability of the application/UI and I personally find it reassuring seeing him standing there like a silent sentry guarding my system against any would-be threats and attackers.  His appearance on the Dashboard is very muted and low-key and I think it works fine and helps communicate the purpose of Malwarebytes to use advanced future-looking technology to provide powerful defense against online threats (the clouds obviously represent the web, the domed city represents our systems, and Zero standing, shield in hand, represents Malwarebytes standing guard with his thumb raised to reassure us that everything is good because he's got our backs).

It's a shame that the scroll bar issue, which I was told when the beta of v3 was released, would be fixed, still persists in this new version.  It would be nice too, if the promised feature to be able to select individual threats was also implemented, particularly when even rogue antimalware software has this feature.

I think these two things, are much more important that a UI redesign.

14 minutes ago, roger_m said:

It's a shame that the scroll bar issue, which I was told when the beta of v3 was released, would be fixed, still persists in this new version.  It would be nice too, if the promised feature to be able to select individual threats was also implemented, particularly when even rogue antimalware software has this feature.

Hello @roger_m:

Since your member account post history will no longer show,  would you kindly document the issues here and perhaps staff can look into those while MB4 is in early Beta testing.

Thank you.

46 minutes ago, 1PW said:

Hello @roger_m:

Since your member account post history will no longer show,  would you kindly document the issues here and perhaps staff can look into those while MB4 is in early Beta testing.

Thank you.

Thanks for the reply.  When you click above or blow the bar in the scrollbar, instead of the usual Windows behaviour of moving up a down page, the bar moves to where the mouse pointer is.

The second issue, is that there no way to select threats individually.  There no option to be able to select or deselect every file and registry key belonging to a particular threat, other than manually clicking on every individual files and registry key that belongs to a particular threat.  This is a serious limitation.  Due to the very aggressive detection of PUPs, there are often programs detected, that I don't want to quarantine.