Another Windows 7 x64 freeze after the 1.0.508 update

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, bashbish said:

Does anyone know if this is reported to MWB staff ?

I do not see any of their staff on this topic.

I can confirm. MBAM staff are aware. 

Web Protection disabled only = Still had issue

Web Protection and Ransomware disabled = No issue since. It's been 2 days now.

I may be able to shed some light on this after working with Dell on a rash of systems that we had affected after the December Windows Updates were released on 12/11/18.

This would make a good case for not releasing updates at the same time Microsoft does theirs.

We had a whole bunch of Windows 7 SP1 systems start locking up after the Windows updates. About 20 systems total on a few different networks. The commonality is that they all are running Intel NIC cards / drivers as well as MBAM and most of the were Dell Optiplex 9020s but a few were 7010, 9010 and even a 7040. We are getting network storms as well from a few of the  frozen PCs if they were not restarted which would take down the local LAN.  What a mess this has been. We have been fighting with this for the last few weeks.

On the systems that we could roll back (using System restore) the Windows Updated form December 2018 the freezing stopped
On the systems where system restore would not cooperate we manually rolled back the updates 1 at a time which does not always work so well. This sometime would work but we still have some of those systems locking up. We also tried re-installing the NIC drivers and updating them with no luck.

Our Dell contact found this Thread today.

We ended up doing the following on a test system that was freezing consistently:

We installed a new NIC card (Realtech Chipset) in the machine
Loaded driver and made sure it worked online
I disabled the Intel Integrated NIC from the Windows 7 OS
I then uninstalled the same Intel NIC card from the Windows 7 OS being sure to check the box for deleting the driver
I then restarted the machine and went into the BIOS and System Configuration and Integrated NIC and Disabled it and restarted the system.

Our test system has been running now for almost 6 days without issue with MBAM (Component 1.0.508) fully activated, etc..

It appears that what may be going on is a BAD Microsoft update along with possibly a BAD MBAM update on systems with Intel NIC/drivers to create this issue that many of us are facing. The lockups look like memory leaks and are tied in with the NIC interface and driver causing these really bad freeze situations that require a power cycle. 

We have only had this issue so far with Windows 7 SP1 64 bit systems to this point. 

I am hoping this helps the MBAM and Microsoft folks figure out what is going on.

Thanks

No Intel NIC here yet with component update 1.0.508 I cannot play more than about 5 minutes of any blu-ray disk with PowerDVD 16 before the PC locks completely (mouse cursor frozen too) with a small section of the sound looping through the speakers. Nothing except holding the power button in 5 seconds to cut the power allows recovery.

I've uninstalled Malwarebytes for now.

Hello Arbrich,

Thanks for the info. Please let us know if your test system has any future freezes. I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I have gone a week with no problems but PC eventually froze me out.  Starting today  I will quit MWB except for when I am doing web surfing unknown sites.

I appreciate the information Arbrich , but NIC in most of the machines that I have the issue do not have Intel chipsets in them. (so perhaps some other NIC have the same issue? ) Infact most of them with the issue are currently running Realtech .

I am beginning to wonder though if a clean uninstall with MB trouble shooter and reinstall helps or not? Has anyone tried that? I hate to Ginnie pig my clients. Myself most my computers anymore are running Linux or windows 10 and the one computer with windows 7 on it I cannot duplicate the issue on it.

Edited by Telliege

On 12/20/2018 at 12:54 PM, Porthos said:

I have 100's of clients and have had no issues.  It is not as widespread as some people think.

Out of curiosity Porthos, are your “100’s of clients” using Win7 and MBAM Premium?  And have you been specifically reaching out to each of them to ask if they’ve had any random freezes in the past month?

3 hours ago, Darkdirk said:

Out of curiosity Porthos, are your “100’s of clients” using Win7 and MBAM Premium?  And have you been specifically reaching out to each of them to ask if they’ve had any random freezes in the past month?

Only one is Win 7 the rest is Win 10. The one is having no issues. But I do concede there is an issue it seems with Win 7. I am glad my Win 10 clients have no issues as well as my one Win 7 client.

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Only one is Win 7 the rest is Win 10. The one is having no issues. But I do concede there is an issue it seems with Win 7. I am glad my Win 10 clients have no issues as well as my one Win 7 client.

Well I for one am glad to hear that you’re one Windows 7 client is issue-free and that your holiday has not been bulldozed by this frustrating 1990s-type problem (I mean seriously, when was the last time PCs just “freezing up” was an issue?)  But on behalf of those of us who have been seeing this on roughly half of Win7 clients, and patiently dealing with this crap for weeks with no apparent end in sight, I would like to respectfully say that yes, this is as widespread as people think.

11 hours ago, Darkdirk said:

Well I for one am glad to hear that you’re one Windows 7 client is issue-free and that your holiday has not been bulldozed by this frustrating 1990s-type problem (I mean seriously, when was the last time PCs just “freezing up” was an issue?)  But on behalf of those of us who have been seeing this on roughly half of Win7 clients, and patiently dealing with this crap for weeks with no apparent end in sight, I would like to respectfully say that yes, this is as widespread as people think.

Not to mention this is the 3rd time an MBAM update caused issues ( raising CPU usage to 90%, BSOD and now this).

Granted, the other 2 issues were resolved rather quickly.

I am very disappointed that Malwarebytes is not owning this from a communication standpoint and that it takes forum members to keep each other updated.  Thank goodness for forum member support!  I expected at a minimum that Malwarebytes would would be pinned something acknowledging that there is an issue, they are working on a solution, etc..  There is nothing here: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/41-malwarebytes-3-support-forum/

It is as if there is an internal policy that they can never let the public know they messed up.  I for one appreciate honesty and can be accepting of some rare issues as long as I see the ownership and the communication is out quickly.  I can't imagine how many individuals without knowledge of this forum have spent countless hours trying to identify the source of the issue, lost documents they were working on, re-installed the OS only to see the issue re-occur, etc.

There are Norton haters out there and I am not promoting Norton, but at least they will own an issue.  They will pin the issue here, in the case of Norton Security: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/norton-security

And an example of a thread with clear involvement from Staff supporting identification of issues leading towards resolution: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/hot-issues-and-fixes

This may be the 2nd or 3rd major issue I've witnessed with Malwarebytes and I can't think of a time where they owned the communication letting users know of the issue, that they are working on a fix, and finally that the fix was out.  If I am incorrect, feel free to point out an example I may have missed where they communicated quickly from beginning to end.

7 minutes ago, mkaz said:

This may be the 2nd or 3rd major issue I've witnessed with Malwarebytes

And you will continue to see this, because is it impossible to maintain perpetual compatibility between Malwarebytes and all Anti-viruses on the market. Soone or later an update from them will screw up the pseudo compatibility,

Additionally, Malwarebytes is made from pieces, software bought from different developers and just put together as "shields"  , so sooner or later one "shield" or another is going to conflict with another antivirus...

@loco, thanks for your perspective.  Is this case, my clients are running anything from MSE, Norton, ESET, Avast, and others so I do not believe it was an AV conflict, this time around.  Regardless who has developed what, isn't it the responsibility of Malwarebytes to FULLY test the integration of the modules thoroughly before release?  No excuse not to have a ton of various VM platforms with the appropriate test methods implemented over days, weeks, etc.  Would you agree?

2 hours ago, mkaz said:

No excuse not to have a ton of various VM platforms with the appropriate test methods implemented over days, weeks, etc.  Would you agree?

They do (I'm a former Malwarebytes employee so I have first-hand knowledge of this and even used to be a member of their QA team that handles the testing).  Unfortunately these issues cannot be replicated reliably on every system running the affected operating systems; I should know as I'm running Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1, fully patched and haven't had any of the issues being reported with this build by users running that same OS.  Unfortunately I don't know what all the variables are to reliably reproduce these issues, and I also know from past first-hand experience (and the reasons I personally never used VMs for testing, though that isn't true of the entire QA team) that VM testing is not a substitute for live OS testing, especially compared to testing in a 'used'/'lived-in' environment with a wide variety of software/hardware and a lot of 'miles' under its belt (I was almost always able to discover/repro issues members of QA who only tested on VMs were not, including many issues that ended up being reported by customers after release).

I also know for a fact that they test for compatibility with a multitude of AVs and that they document when any incompatibilities/issues are found and that every AV you named (as well as many others) are among those they test with.  I also know for a fact that some (though not all) of the issues being reported with this build do come down to AV incompatibility, particularly with regards to certain issues related to the Web Protection component.  In particular so far I've observed issues with AVG, Avast, Avira, ESET and Bitdefender, though they may not be the only ones, though I also know that not all users of those AVs are affected so there are likely other variables involved even in those cases.

The fact is I have seen virtually every single one of the issues being reported in this build in past releases of Malwarebytes 3, and every single one had been fixed prior to this release so I believe that something went wrong, either in the build process when compiling the build, or in the code when making changes by the Devs that caused several previous fixes/patches to regress, thus resulting in previously fixed issues reoccurring.  How and why this happened I do not know, but I suspect that answering those questions are also among the issues being investigated and worked on by the Devs because it wouldn't do them much good to fix all these issues yet again only to have to worry about them cropping up once more down the road at some point, so if I am right, they also need to track down the root cause of these regressions in the code and take whatever measures may be necessary to ensure it does not happen again.

Sorry for the lack of response so far. Our engineering teams have been working hard to try and replicate this issue so we can understand what's going on and get a solution in place. This issue looks to affect a very small subset of users (less than 1%), couple that with the nature of the issue (the entire machine locking up), and this is a very difficult issue for us to reproduce and understand exactly what's causing. That being said, even though it's only happening to a small number of users, we obviously still want to find a solution for those users who are impacted. As such, can you please follow the instructions below to gather some logs for us so we can try to understand what is happening:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Do not click on Start Repair
  3. Click on Advanced on the left side and then click Gather Logs
  4. This process will take a few minutes and once completed, it will put a zip file on your desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip
  5. Please upload that zip file in your response

There's a second set of logs that will help as well:

1. Download and extract the attached RUNME.zip
  2. Right click on RUNME.bat inside the extracted folder and choose Run as Administrator
  3. Choose Option 1 and press Enter
    1. This will enable driver verifier for our web protection module and turn on a complete memory dump instead of just a kernel memory dump
  4. Reboot 
  5. Turn on Web Protection, and use your computer as normal until it freezes again.
  6. Once the computer freezes, it should cause a blue screen.
  7. After rebooting, copy C:\Windows\memory.dmp to your desktop.
  8. Right click on memory.dmp on your desktop and choose Send to -> Compressed (Zipped) folder. This should create a file named memory.zip
  9. Upload the zip file to wetransfer.com and provide the link in your response
  10. Once completed, you can then redo steps 2, 3 and 4, but this time choose Option 2 to change things back to default

While we have logs from our users so far, getting logs from multiple users helps us see what similarities there are between these computers to understand what's going on. Thanks in advanced, and we will do our best to make sure we're staying more responsive.

RUNME.zip

IT Consultant here.  My phone has been ringing off the hook with PC's freezing for the last couple weeks -- turns out all of them were using Malwarebytes 3.6.1.  Machines freeze anywhere from 3 to 20 times per day. A reboot solves the issue temporarily.  Printing and QuickBooks over the network seems to lock it up as well.

I have uninstalled Malwarebytes and that solved the problem. Really thought Malwarebytes would have had a patch by now.  I've installed Malwarebytes  3.5.1 (older version) on some of the machines and they are stable so far, so its something bad since 3.5.1. 

I made the mistake of using their Support Tool to remove Malwarebytes and now it won't go away after reboot with 3.5.1 installed Ahhhhrg.

15 minutes ago, Silver-Bullet said:

IT Consultant here.  My phone has been ringing off the hook with PC's freezing for the last couple weeks -- turns out all of them were using Malwarebytes 3.6.1.  Machines freeze anywhere from 3 to 20 times per day. A reboot solves the issue temporarily.  Printing and QuickBooks over the network seems to lock it up as well.

I have uninstalled Malwarebytes and that solved the problem. Really thought Malwarebytes would have had a patch by now.  I've installed Malwarebytes  3.5.1 (older version) on some of the machines and they are stable so far, so its something bad since 3.5.1. 

I made the mistake of using their Support Tool to remove Malwarebytes and now it won't go away after reboot with 3.5.1 installed Ahhhhrg.

I had other problems after using Support Tool and I uninstalled from safe mode was the only way I could do it.

7 hours ago, dcollins said:

Sorry for the lack of response so far. Our engineering teams have been working hard to try and replicate this issue so we can understand what's going on and get a solution in place. This issue looks to affect a very small subset of users (less than 1%), couple that with the nature of the issue (the entire machine locking up), and this is a very difficult issue for us to reproduce and understand exactly what's causing. That being said, even though it's only happening to a small number of users, we obviously still want to find a solution for those users who are impacted. As such, can you please follow the instructions below to gather some logs for us so we can try to understand what is happening:

Its far more then 1% of your users experiencing this. Most are just not realizing its MB. Or yelling at their local IT which is then disabling what needs to be disabled so you never get the call or email. calls alone I am experiencing and others shows a far wider issue from this patch then your thinking. Windows 7 is still quite largely used especially in business.

As its not happening on my local computer here. I will see if I can get a clients computer I can work the above file on to help. This message really needed to be here a week ago though. As I have already had to make changes to keep my clients going. I cant have them crashing and locking up. =(.

Thanks for a response and please keep us updated. I really torn on what is happening here as I have always been a big on offering your product.

EDIT

I can confirm though that seems quickbooks 2007+ may be one of the issues crashing it as to many of the clients with issues have quickbooks. Nothing else seems to be similar and this is not issue with any other AV combination as the clients with issues use MB exclusively.

Edited by Telliege

Just to add it is affecting Win 7 32 bit machines as well. In my case Dell Precision Mobile Workstation. I have been struggling with this problem since the day after the December Windows Update and had assumed it was that causing the issue. Relieved but frustrated to come on this forum and find out the likely cause. Also seen the problem, but far less frequently, on Win 7 64 bit Dell laptop.

I notice today I am up to component update 1.0.8553 and seems like I'm having less issues or is that wishful thinking?

I cannot help with the attempts to duplicate the problem . I cannot afford the downtime.

What I can do is list my system hardware and main programs to provide info for common conflicts:

Windows 7 Home Premium/64
Corsair CX750M Power Supply
Intel I7-4771 LGA1150 CPU
Memory 16gb Gskill F-31600c9D-16XMR
Gigabyte GA-Z97x-UD5H Mother Board (Revision 1.0)
Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Black Pearl Case
3 Case Fans F&R Powered Directly by PSU

Sata Port 0 - Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256GB (operating system SSD) (6GBS)-
Sata Port 1 - Exterior Slot for 2 1/2" HDD or SSD
Sata Port 2 - Western Digital 4TB -WD4004FZWX-00GBG0 (media)
Sata Port 3 - Western Digital 4TB -WD4004FZWX-00GBG  (Back up)
Sata Port 4 -  Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256GB (clone of C drive)
Sata Port 5 - Samsung SSD 840 120GB-(Documents) with bitlocker
Gport 6 - Western Digital 6TB-  WD6001FZWX  add'l backups- Usually turned of from BIOS
Gport 7 - LG WH12LS39 BluRay DVD CD R/W (1.5GBS)

PCI:
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 (PCI-E x 1 ) Third Slot  

ASUS Wifi/Bluetooth Adapter (PCI-E x1) First slot

UGREEN SD Card Reader (USB3.0 Connected)

Regularly Used Programs:

Avast 18.8.2356 (build 18.8.4084.409)

VLC Media Player

Pot Player

MS Office 2007

Mozzila Firefox

Adobe Flash

Adobe Reader

15 hours ago, dcollins said:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Do not click on Start Repair
  3. Click on Advanced on the left side and then click Gather Logs
  4. This process will take a few minutes and once completed, it will put a zip file on your desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip
  5. Please upload that zip file in your response

There's a second set of logs that will help as well:

1. Download and extract the attached RUNME.zip
  2. Right click on RUNME.bat inside the extracted folder and choose Run as Administrator
  3. Choose Option 1 and press Enter
    1. This will enable driver verifier for our web protection module and turn on a complete memory dump instead of just a kernel memory dump
  4. Reboot 
  5. Turn on Web Protection, and use your computer as normal until it freezes again.
  6. Once the computer freezes, it should cause a blue screen.
  7. After rebooting, copy C:\Windows\memory.dmp to your desktop.
  8. Right click on memory.dmp on your desktop and choose Send to -> Compressed (Zipped) folder. This should create a file named memory.zip
  9. Upload the zip file to wetransfer.com and provide the link in your response
  10. Once completed, you can then redo steps 2, 3 and 4, but this time choose Option 2 to change things back to default

While we have logs from our users so far, getting logs from multiple users helps us see what similarities there are between these computers to understand what's going on. Thanks in advanced, and we will do our best to make sure we're staying more responsive.

RUNME.zip

Is anyone else who is having these issues also running DropBox? I am looking for anything that may hep us all with this.

It still looks like a memory leak to me caused by Windows Decemeber update in combination with MBAM update.

I am up to 2 test systems now. The one I replaced the network card on has not locked up in 8 days and counting now.

My newest test system I have another Dell Optiplex 9020 that I ran the December Windows update on and is on MBAM component 1.0.508
I am trying to get this one to fail so I can run the logs for you guys.

This is a very strange real problem and seems to manifest itself only with certain combinations of programs / drivers / etc....

It is very frustrating.