Another Windows 7 x64 freeze after the 1.0.508 update

In answer to Arbrich - there are 4 Dell systems in my family - no-one using Dropbox. All with Win 7 and MBAM Premium and Avast Free. Two Precisions Win 7 32bit - one has frozen twice since 12th December the other one several times even though they are virtually identical setups. One Latitude 3000 series Win 7 64bit has frozen just the once despite being in constant use. The other newer Latitude 6000 series Win 7 64bit has never frozen in that time! As you say - a very strange problem. My problems started the day after all laptops received the December Windows Update and I really thought that was connected with the problem but I notice on this forum that others experienced the same problems before the Windows Update.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been experiencing the same lockup problem for weeks.

Windows 7 /64 and did not install the December windows updates.

I spent hours and hours trying to figure out the problem I thought for sure it was hardware related and wasted my time cleaning the fans, updating my video drivers, testing and even changing my RAM, using temp and voltage monitors, etc, etc.

3 days ago I thought it might be Malwarebytes because I tried everything else and (no offense) the last major problems I have had was due to your program. (The malformed update last January, the VSS conflict, High CPU usage)

So anyway, I came to the forum a few days ago and saw the problem and I have now gone 3 days without a lockup.  Longer than I have gone since about 3 weeks ago. ( I turned off everything).

I think you are doing a disservice to your customers by not doing anything about it.  I think it's a lot more than 1% and I feel bad about all the people who may not have figured out it's Malwarebytes causing it.  I think you should at least send out a email to all your customers or push out an "update" that rolls everyone back to a previous component update.  I only lost hours of my time, I almost wasted money getting another power supply, video card, or RAM.

There is no shame in having a problem only in not being upfront with your customers.

Hope you can deal with this quickly.  I must have done over 15 hard resets over the last few weeks and it really bothered me to do so on such an otherwise stable and important computer.

Regards,

Dave

1 hour ago, Dave_H said:

I have been experiencing the same lockup problem for weeks.

Windows 7 /64 and did not install the December windows updates.

I spent hours and hours trying to figure out the problem I thought for sure it was hardware related and wasted my time cleaning the fans, updating my video drivers, testing and even changing my RAM, using temp and voltage monitors, etc, etc.

3 days ago I thought it might be Malwarebytes because I tried everything else and (no offense) the last major problems I have had was due to your program. (The malformed update last January, the VSS conflict, High CPU usage)

So anyway, I came to the forum a few days ago and saw the problem and I have now gone 3 days without a lockup.  Longer than I have gone since about 3 weeks ago. ( I turned off everything).

I think you are doing a disservice to your customers by not doing anything about it.  I think it's a lot more than 1% and I feel bad about all the people who may not have figured out it's Malwarebytes causing it.  I think you should at least send out a email to all your customers or push out an "update" that rolls everyone back to a previous component update.  I only lost hours of my time, I almost wasted money getting another power supply, video card, or RAM.

There is no shame in having a problem only in not being upfront with your customers.

Hope you can deal with this quickly.  I must have done over 15 hard resets over the last few weeks and it really bothered me to do so on such an otherwise stable and important computer.

Regards,

Dave

I hear you. I went as long as a week with no lock ups then it happened 4 or 5 times in an hour. I finally uninstalled MWB 3 days ago. Have had no lock up since.No more hard resets,

I also tried many things before I realized it was MWB.

The service offers great protection but all the troublesome issues are frustrating. As a remember there was an issue a few months back where all 16GB of RAM kept filling to Max. I found out, after much troubleshooting that is was MWB. which they corrected with an update. I hope they crack this one soon.

Out of curiosity, is anyone having this problem on a non-Dell PC?  All of the ones I’ve personally encountered so far have been Dells (around 8 or 9 machines, various models).  Although not all Dells are doing it either.

Based on reading everyone’s experiences, combined with my own, the common thread I am seeing across the board is:

Dell PC, Windows7, Samsung SSD, Firefox, and some version of Office

Does anyone have a machine experiencing freezes without one of those things?  Please let me know.

9 hours ago, Darkdirk said:

Out of curiosity, is anyone having this problem on a non-Dell PC?  All of the ones I’ve personally encountered so far have been Dells (around 8 or 9 machines, various models).  Although not all Dells are doing it either.

Based on reading everyone’s experiences, combined with my own, the common thread I am seeing across the board is:

Dell PC, Windows7, Samsung SSD, Firefox, and some version of Office

Does anyone have a machine experiencing freezes without one of those things?  Please let me know.

Yes, as some of the computers are custom built. I have not found anything that seems similar with hardware to this issue. As some are on intel some are on amd cpus. Some are on older cpus some are on newer. Its all over the place on the hardware part. On software installed most of my clients use MB for AV exclusively.

5 minutes ago, Telliege said:

Yes, as some of the computers are custom built. I have not found anything that seems similar with hardware to this issue. As some are on intel some are on amd cpus. Some are on older cpus some are on newer. Its all over the place on the hardware part. On software installed most of my clients use MB for AV exclusively.

Agreed.  Seeing the same thing (though my clients generally run an AV and MB).

As I posted in this thread with my logs, I had this issue a couple of weeks ago, disabled Ransomware Protection and had no lockups until just now, literally 10 minutes after new years... I disabled web protection as well to see if that fixes it but the issue is becoming excessively annoying!

Ok, thanks everyone for all the input about potential hardware similarities.  I guess there are none.  Still though, there has to be SOME reason that this doesn’t happen on all PCs.  And I t’s slowly driving me mad.  At this point I have two PCs out of about a dozen that have so far been unaffected, and for the life of me I have no idea why.

7 hours ago, NikK said:

As I posted in this thread with my logs, I had this issue a couple of weeks ago, disabled Ransomware Protection and had no lockups until just now, literally 10 minutes after new years... I disabled web protection as well to see if that fixes it but the issue is becoming excessively annoying!

I think disabling both will fix it.  I haven’t had a single freeze up on any PC since doing that.

As I look at this closer, I am begining to thing that the windows 7 computers that are not freezing are actually being slowed down by the same bug. I have now check a few computers working and a lot smoother operation (slight pauses when opening web browser (More then it use to be.)etc.) with normal task disabling ransom web protection. Has anyone else notice this or checked non crashing windows 7 computers for performance?

I was one of the 1st to report on this update:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/240242-component-update-10508-issue/

What you suggest is consistent with my testing... with Avast installed alongside MBAM,  the AvastSVC would slowly consume system resources until nothing new could launch, but the system didn't lock up. With Avast uninstalled/completely disabled, the system would lock up HARD. Others, using something other than Avast, have reported similar observations.

I've been running since that thread stopped getting any updates with 'Web Protection' disabled. I haven't had any new lock ups, but I HAVE seen some odd network behavior which I was able to resolve by disabling (Intel) NIC 'green' features. Haven't tried re-enabling MBAM WP,  but figured I'd mention it as a possibility since so many others are now affected & nothing new seems to be happening.

Will eventually test myself.

Another theory I have is that is seems to be worse on Networks where there are more Windows 7 systems. I am not sure if this is causing too much network chatter between them as I had one network that after the machine's froze they created network storms that took out the entire network until they were unplugged. My test systems continue to run without issue.

If anyone has a way to emulate a user on a system or created traffic with a script that may be helpful for my test systems. All of this started after the December Windows Update.

I called Microsoft and they wanted $500 to open a case to determine what they broke. I had choice words for them as they basically retreat to Windows 7 is no longer supported.

All the system we were able to roll back have NO issues. The system we could not roll back continue to freeze intermittently.

I never installed the December windows update, in fact I'm a few months behind.

DecUpdate.jpg.92cf8bcab6a288b179edfcd5a80203f7.jpg

Also, this system is not a Dell, it's self built with a ASUS P8Z77-V PRO motherboard.

Since turning off Everything in Malwarebytes I have now gone 8 days without it freezing with the system being on 24/7 since.  Before it was freezing up about once a day and it never went more than a day and a half without locking up.  Oddly, most of the time (more then 8 out of 10) it would freeze up overnight or early morning without the system being used.  It was random times and did not correspond to any of my scheduled tasks or daily images.

I do however have 3 security cameras attached and although they are not set to record overnight they are set for motion detection.  I also remember one time it locked up when I was resetting my modem and router because of ISP problems.  Now that you mention it, at home the other day my Wife said she had "funny network problems" where she could not get a wifi connection to our router.  At home we have 2 windows 7 systems networked together (not home grouped, networked).  The desktop has never frozen but I realized it's because I had the "update new component" feature turned off so it's not using 1.0.508 update.  That desktop is also almost identical to my office system, I did that on purpose to have a complete backup system in case of problems.  That may explain why I was so upset this system was having problems, I need this system working properly.

Dave

Looking back through this forum the first reports of freezing were on 7th December - patch Tuesday for WU was 11th December.

Someone may have answered this question but can we roll back to the previous problem free component version of MBAM 3.6.1.2711. Presumably we would have to uninstall completely first and re-install with that component version?

5 minutes ago, COBKA said:

Looking back through this forum the first reports of freezing were on 7th December - patch Tuesday for WU was 11th December.

Someone may have answered this question but can we roll back to the previous problem free component version of MBAM 3.6.1.2711. Presumably we would have to uninstall completely first and re-install with that component version?

Post #19 on the first page of this topic has a link to a 3'rd party site you can download a previous version from.

Dave

6 minutes ago, dcollins said:

If you would like to downgrade the previous version of Malwarebytes, you can download it here: https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/xq78v2de2k893g1h41upzbtqmsc6t375

You will want to go to Settings -> Application and make sure to disable the top option, "Automatically download and install application component updates"

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 2.49.14 PM.png

6 minutes ago, Dave_H said:

Post #19 on the first page of this topic has a link to a 3'rd party site you can download a previous version from.

Dave

Thank you both - that may be safer than continuing to run with Web Protection off

1 hour ago, COBKA said:

Thank you both - that may be safer than continuing to run with Web Protection off

YOu can always use the malwarebytes browser extension for web protection. So far whatever effecting malware bytes does not seem to effect the web extension plugin

Glad I found out about this issue before doing anything too drastic on my system! Freezing started about two weeks ago. Windows 7x64, custom built by Puget Systems, AV is MSE. I downloaded the MB support file but haven't run it yet - I will right after posting this.

I am seeing another issue that only occurs when my desktop freezes: all other devices in my house that connect to my network wirelessly are still connected to the network but with no internet access. I'm talking about 12 other devices: Android phones and tablets, iPhones and iPads, and 4 Windows 7x64 computers, all losing internet access as soon as my desktop freezes. BTW my desktop is the only device that freezes and is also the only device connected to my Asus router via ethernet. All the others connect wirelessly. I've been restarting the router, talking nice to the router, and even yelling at the router! Needless to say nothing helped.

In the meantime I have disabled both Ransomeware and web protection for now.

Thanks for the info and help here in the forum.

Jim

1 hour ago, arbrich said:

JMac001 - What Network card (chipset) is in your desktop that is hard wired to your router ?

arbrich:  I have two:

1. Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection
  2. Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

I was connected to the Intel while all this has been going on. The Realtek works well also but isn't as fast as the Intel.

Jim

Jim , (JMac001) if you are consistently locking up can you try removing the Intel driver and pulling out or disabling the Intel NIC card and then restart to see if it makes a difference. 

You need to delete the Intel NIC driver from the system (check the box to remove the driver under device manger when you right click to uninstall) 

Try running on the Realtek for a bit. I have a test system this worked on for me so far and am interested if same for someone else.

The issue you are having is very much the same as we have seen where network storm get created and no one can get out on the internet since the network is getting so clogged with chatter. 

Rich