Another Windows 7 x64 freeze after the 1.0.508 update

• Root Admin
19 minutes ago, ergonql said:

Hello,

To test the issue I have to stop a workstation for at least one day which is not so easy. However the issue has for sure to do with some sort of incompatibility of Malwarebytes with Acronis 2019 as all the Windows 7 workstations without Acronis are working properly. This issue appeared since MB 3.7 and nothing changed with the latest MB release (4.049). However it seems the case also some Windows 10 workstations are now being affected (always with Acronis 2019) and it seems there are some incompatibility issues with Acronis Active Protection.

I am sure that if you setup a W7 PC with Acronis 2019 you will for sure experience the issue as this is occuring (even if sometimes not at every reboot) almost on 100% of our PCs with Acronis.

Kind regards

Davide

It is quite possible. I have not tested the Acronis version as I already have Malwarebytes for security protection. I have used Acronis now for many years and I use it for backup software not security software as that is not their forte. However our QA team is aware of your concerns and I'm sure they are working on it and hopefully can find a solution soon.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

It is quite possible. I have not tested the Acronis version as I already have Malwarebytes for security protection. I have used Acronis now for many years and I use it for backup software not security software as that is not their forte. However our QA team is aware of your concerns and I'm sure they are working on it and hopefully can find a solution soon.

We also use Acronis only for backup purposes but their latest releases include also this "active protection" to further strengthen especially the security of the Acronis backup. This for sure appears not compatible with MB (almost any version since 3.7) on W7 PCs. On W10 PCs in general it was OK but recently on one or two workstations I had to uninstall MB (4.049) as MB looked stuck / using a very high amount of ram and Acronis Active Protection was at the same time deactivated.

Still going strong on 1.0.527 with CP update off. I will continue to hold as i have not had a single issue for just on a year now.

Whatever you guys did in 1.0.527 you got it right 100% though i am using a layered approach with Avast Premier/premium which is up to date in all categorys for peace of mind.

I would just like to add that starting December my W10 x64 had ~2 BSOD's and more important huge stutters/sometimes permanent freezes that are a result of huge disk activity and memory hard faults once I caught it with resmon open.

I suspected bad components since I just went from a 1700 to a 2700x and changed from a RX 480 to a 5700 so I returned everything to stock on my BIOS settings and isolated things out but I still get these stupid huge stutters/freezes that can yield 10-20 seconds without any input, then a stutter of mouse input then continued freezes.

Thought it might be when my memory usage runs high, like 12-13/16gb

I disabled

1. Steam downloads when playing games since I noticed a lockup when it was downloading dota 2 in the background (suspected bad ssd but it's fine, checks out on health tools)

2. Windows Defender after catching some things with disk i/o mspeng.exe so I disabled that via gpo (rolls eyes)

3. Issue persists and now I caught mbam.exe or some other malwarebytes executable with the disk activity during a lockup and this thread and searching otherwise... makes me think Malwarebytes is the little bugger that's causing all this crap to happen.

Not pleased but I know being unhappy like BIll or whoever it was recommending Norton (LOL I'll never use Norton and will always laugh at someone that recommends something like McAfee or Norton), doesn't help or serve any purpose on online forums.

Is this an acknowledged issue that has a known cause? Malwarebytes has only been good over the years and this is a pretty bad flaw that is a huge stink. If this persists/repeats over the next 3-4 months I'll have to start to reconsider my opinion of the team maybe getting a little bloated as the company I work for has become LOL

I'll report back if that doesn't solve the issues, feel free to ping me or dm me. Hopefully quitting malwarebytes every session will prove to resolve the issue. Also in one sense, hopefully not.