Another Windows 7 x64 freeze after the 1.0.508 update

Experiencing a hard freeze on two of my systems after the 1.0.58.  These are a hard freeze with the mouse, keyboard and desktop screen froze. Requires pressing the power button to shut down.  Problem does not correct itself if let to wait it out.   

The latest system was my laptop which has had two hard freezes and one soft freeze.  With the soft freeze the keyboard and mouse were still functional and I was able to crtl - alt- del to Task Manager for a reboot.  The shutdown / Restart button was un-responsive during the soft freeze as well as the desktop icons.  The screen was responsive when opening Task Manager.  The logs from the laptop are attached.  This laptop has.....

Dual boot with Windows 7 Home x64 and Windows 8.1 x64.  The 1.0.58 upgrade has not been done with the Windows 8.1 install.  Windows Security Essential is my AV.

The 1.0.508 update was done today on the laptop and the soft freeze problem occurred when I tried shutting the system down after that update.  The two hard freezes then happened later as I used the laptop. The were no previous problems with this laptop.

My other system is a home built desktop that dual boots Windows 7 Pro x64 and Windows 10 Home x64.  This was updated to 1.0.58 when that update was first released.  In the last two weeks I have experienced two hard freezes that required pressing the power button to shutdown. I had no problem previous to this.   In Windows 10 I have yet to experience any problems with 1.0.58 so I'm guessing it is a Windows 7 issue.  Again Microsoft Security Essentials / Defender is used on the desktop system.   I will submit logs if the problem occurs again on the desktop.

Thanks for your review!

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab
    Repair menu_arrows.png

7. Click the Gather Logs button
    Advanced_arrows.png

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    Advanced Gather Logs_arrows.png

9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Advanced Gather Logs completed_arrows.png

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

Please try disabling the Ransomware Protection component to see if this makes any difference.  To do so, right-click on the Malwarebytes tray icon and click Ransomware Protection: Enabled and select Yes if prompted by User Account Control.  If you are unable to do so because of the freezing, please try booting into Safe Mode and open Malwarebytes and navigate to Settings>Protection and under Startup Options disable the option Start Malwarebytes at Windows startup then reboot and let your system start normally, then when you are ready, launch Malwarebytes manually and try disabling the option for Ransomware Protection, either via the right-click context menu for the Malwarebytes tray or in the main Malwarebytes UI via the switch next to Ransomware Protection under Real-Time Protection in the upper right side of the main Dashboard tab or by turning it off under Settings>Protection.

Once you have Ransomware Protection disabled, please test to see if the issue is now resolved and let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Edited by exile360

Thanks for the advice.  Per this thread I have disabled both Ransomware and Web Protection in Windows 7 so I will see how it goes.  So far no problems.

An update .......  I did spend some time with the laptop doing the Windows 8.1 Microsoft Updates along with the Malwarebytes 1.0.508 update.  No problems at all with this operating system using Windows Defender as the AV.   Web Protection and Ransomware protection is enabled as well.

Yep, I don't think there are any issues on 8.1, at least as long as you aren't using Avast, AVG or ESET as your AV.

It's also worth testing to see which specific protection module is causing the issues on your Windows 7 system so I'd advise trying to enable either Web Protection or Ransomware Protection to determine which one is causing the issues and leave the one that isn't causing the problems enabled that way you have as much active protection as possible.

It may also be a good idea to install the Malwarebytes browser extension beta if you use Chrome (or any other Chromium based browser such as Vivaldi or SRWare Iron) or Firefox as it will at least protect your web browser when surfing if you have to keep Web Protection disabled and it also blocks some items that Web Protection does not including ads and many tracking servers to guard your privacy.  It also has new behavior based blocking for protecting against new and unknown tech support scam sites and phishing sites and also includes blocking for clickbait sites and links and it's fully compatible with the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes 3 so even when this issue is resolved you may continue to use the browser extension to enhance your protection and privacy on the web.  You can find out more and download the extension at the following links:

Chrome
Firefox

I am having similar issues with a client using MB on windows 7 and so far it has not had the issue with MB disabled. The issue did start after upgrading MB to component package 1.0.508. this computer has been running MB for years and the only other time it had an issue was when that buggy update was released that was using up all the memory on computers. Hard to know how wide spread this is. As most my clients are on windows 10 at this point or on Linux.

mbst-grab-results.zip

Yes, the issue is with CU 1.0.508 and we're still awaiting a patch/fix from the Developers.  It doesn't affect all users (even on Windows 7) but it does seem to be pretty common.  There appear to be a few issues that have returned in this release that were previously patched so I suspect some change was made that may have reverted some of the previously patched issues causing them to show up again in this latest release.  On the positive side that means that it is very likely that the Developers will be able to track down the cause of these issues quickly, assuming my hypothesis is accurate.

Add me to the list of people hoping for a fix soon on this issue on a Windows 7 (64bit) system.  I had the same problems as well with the two most recent beta component updates, and really tried to avoid/postpone this "release" update after seeing that others were experiencing the same hard lockups I was with the betas (frozen system, no mouse or keyboard working, but no BSOD or auto-reboot either, so only resolution was reset button or power-off restart).  I moved back off the beta channel and onto the older release (stable version) for a couple of weeks and all was OK again.

I thought that I had read in the forums that this update was being "withheld" pending resolution of this, but my system finally self-updated to the 1.0.508 component version on Friday (Dec 14th), and I had my first full lockup upon resuming from standby today (Dec 16th). It's been better than the betas (they caused all sorts of lockups), but sadly not bug-free.

Wow I thought their be a reply to this thread by now so we know atleast their looking into it. (My files above as figure best if all in one thread.)

I can confirm that sense uninstalling MB the windows 7 computer has not crashed sense.

my log file you guys need is in the previous post above.

They are.  There are several threads about this issue already where the Support and QA guys have replied and they've been collecting logs and information from all of the threads (including this one) to provide to the testers and Developers for analysis.  I expect a patch release with a fix for this and the other issues that cropped up in build 508 to be available very soon, most likely within the next couple of weeks if not sooner.

I have also been experiencing this problem on a Windows 7 64 bit desktop starting on 12/12.  3.6.1.2711, 1.0.508, 1.0.8367.  I have wasted days running hardware tests to try to isolate why my desktop freezes within a few minutes of booting into Windows.  I finally guessed it was related to MB, turned off all realtime protections and was solid for ~12 hours, and then discovered this thread.  I have since re-enabled all but the Ransomware protection and the desktop seems stable.

Very disappointing that I recently upgraded to a paid account and this is what happens.

Yeah, I suspect that the reason this issue returned (it, along with several other known issues/bugs in this release were present and fixed several versions ago) was because of some kind of enhancement to the core service/protection component in Malwarebytes 3 and that either it ended up breaking the same part(s) of the code which caused the issues originally, or there was a problem with the build process when the Developers were compiling this release which reverted the patches/bugfixes for these issues causing them to re-emerge in this release.

Either way, I know that the team is actively working on these issues and I expect a fix/patch to be released very soon that will correct these issues.

Same issue just happened to me exactly as described in the original post. It also coincided with MB asking me to re-enable Real Time Protection an hour before the freeze, which caused MB to restart itself.

I will follow the advice about turning off the protection modules one by one but I hope a fix will arrive soon.

9 minutes ago, NikK said:

Same issue just happened to me exactly as described in the original post. It also coincided with MB asking me to re-enable Real Time Protection an hour before the freeze, which caused MB to restart itself.

I will follow the advice about turning off the protection modules one by one but I hope a fix will arrive soon.

Also added my logs in case it helps.

mbst-grab-results.zip

Exile 360.  Thank you for all of your input on this thread.  I too have had this issue since the "580 update" over a week ago.  For what it's worth I have a comment plus a couple questions for you: 1) I have the same issue stated by many only on my x64 machine.  My two x86 machines have not had a problem with the 580 update.  2)  Is there a way to "back down" to the component package version preceding 1.0.508?  3) One of the above posters mentioned "manually allowing" (or something similar) the component package update.  My three machines take all updates automatically as available.  Is there a setting to disable the automatic component package updates without affecting the 15 minute update package version?

Yes, you can download the version prior to this component update here and you may disable installing component updates/new program versions by turning off the two settings circled in the image below:

NoUpgrade.png.54f773ef257ece91c6b565e71518ba04.png

You'll still receive all database updates, just keep an eye on the forums here for when the next patch/version is released as it will certainly contain fixes for these issues.  There should be a new pinned topic at the top of this area once a new build/patch has been released which will no doubt list these issues as being addressed in it.

Exile360 .....  This may have no bearing on the issue at hand, but after a decade of MB premium use and auto updates I noticed on both my x64 and x86 machines this 580 update resulted in two MB icons on my Win 7 Pro task bar; on each machine.  One icon being normal and the other with a red exclamation point on it.  To my (fading) memory this was a first during any MB update process.  It may be a clue to the bug(s) within this update.  FWIW

If one of the icons vanishes as soon as you hover your mouse over it (no clicking necessary) then it's unrelated and just has to do with the fact that the tray's executable was replaced during the update/upgrade install (I often see this myself after installing a new version on my own system).  If you restart the system or log off/log on again the second icon shouldn't return (again, assuming it's the same issue I mentioned).

Not yet, the Developers are still working on it.  In the meantime you should test to determine which component of protection is causing the issue on your system as there are two separate issues with two different components so it could either be due to Web Protection or Ransomware Protection.  Once you've determined which, if it turns out to be Web Protection then I'd recommend keeping it disabled until a fix is available and installing the Malwarebytes browser extension beta to augment your browser security as mentioned in this post.  You may keep it installed once the issue with Web Protection has been corrected as it was designed to compliment the web filtering provided by Malwarebytes Premium.