Another Windows 7 x64 freeze after the 1.0.508 update

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, bashbish said:

arbrich  ,  I ran the process you outlined. Let me get it right here. I should leave the CMD window open and active.   If so the file could be gigantic if there is no freeze for a couple of days. This is OK ??

Just as a guide I ran it for 2 hours before a freeze - the folder was just 200 MB in size by then but zipped up to about 38 MB so as you say 2 days may be a bit extreme!

6 hours ago, LiquidTension said:

Great, thank you very much!

One other useful piece of information would be the names of the network adapters present. To check:

• Press the Windows Key + R on your keyboard at the same time. Type devmgmt.msc and click OK.
  • Expand Network adapters.

Update.........

Well, the KB44713187 uninstall solution was short lived.   With-in 6 hours it hard froze again.  After uninstalling  KB44713187 the desktop was rebooted several times.  I ran the Support Tool and have attached my logs.

As noted in my original post this machine dual boots Windows 10 Home x64.  So far no problems with this hardware and that OS.  Windows 10 is running flawless. 

mbst-grab-results.zip

18 hours ago, LiquidTension said:

Thanks!

Unfortunately, it looks like there's an issue with your system's performance counters.

Processor performance object not found

This needs to be fixed in order to utilise the PSList tool ran by the batch file. To do so:

• Click the Windows Start 29Fou9c.jpg button. Type CMD in the search bar, right-click CMD and click AVOiBNU.jpg Run as administrator.
  • Copy and paste (right-click the Window + Paste) the following into the Command Prompt: lodctr /r
  • Press Enter on your keyboard. Wait for the command to complete.

Once done, please delete the extracted PSList folder and try the earlier instructions again.

Good Morning,

Followed your instructions and have attached the new output zip, I turned back on the web protection module, ran the .bat file, and within a couple of minutes a hard freeze.

Kind Regards, Chris....

PSList-Output.zip.zip

On 1/4/2019 at 7:02 PM, arbrich said:

We ended up doing the following on a test system that was freezing consistently: I had listed this earlier in this thread and we were at 6 days.

We uninstalled the December Windows updates 

We installed a new NIC card (Realtech Chipset) in the machine
Loaded driver and made sure it worked online
I disabled the Intel Integrated NIC from the Windows 7 OS
I then uninstalled the same Intel NIC card from the Windows 7 OS being sure to check the box for deleting the driver
I then restarted the machine and went into the BIOS and System Configuration and Integrated NIC and Disabled it and restarted the system.

Our test system has been running now for almost 14 days without issue with MBAM (Component 1.0.508) fully activated, etc..

I have now switched back to the OLD Network Card (Intel I217-LM) - reinstalled the Windows updates for December and am running the PSLIST program to attempt to make it fail and collect logs.

I have another system same Model (Optiplex 9020) with same NIC card that has not locked up yet. - The only difference between systems is one is a Core I7 and the other is a Core I5 processor.

I will update all if I can make this thing freeze and get some data.

Of course all they systems that are freezing up now intermittently are in production with customers and I can't have them run the PSLIST capture program not to mention they are taking out entire small networks when the freeze is bad and the NIC card creates a network storm. So we are uninstalling Windows updates and MBAM Component Package to older version to see if that stops the problem. and they can keep working while I work with test systems.

This issue is affecting a lot more people that simply do not know what is going on with their systems yet. 

Thanks,

Thank for your sharing your findings once again. We are currently investigating the potential correlation between certain network adapters, Malwarebytes for Windows 3.6.1 CU 1.0.508 and the machine freezing.

On 1/4/2019 at 8:36 PM, bashbish said:

arbrich  ,  I ran the process you outlined. Let me get it right here. I should leave the CMD window open and active.   If so the file could be gigantic if there is no freeze for a couple of days. This is OK ??

There is potential for a large amount of disk space being consumed if the PSList batch file is left running for extended periods of time. If you're concerned, output files generated earlier in the process can be deleted. For example, if the process reaches Output3000.txt in the extracted PSList folder, consider deleting files 1 through to 2000.

22 hours ago, MajesticWi said:

Update.........

Well, the KB44713187 uninstall solution was short lived.   With-in 6 hours it hard froze again.  After uninstalling  KB44713187 the desktop was rebooted several times.  I ran the Support Tool and have attached my logs.

As noted in my original post this machine dual boots Windows 10 Home x64.  So far no problems with this hardware and that OS.  Windows 10 is running flawless. 

mbst-grab-results.zip

Thank you for the update and logs.

56 minutes ago, LiquidTension said:

Thank you for the update and logs.

Additional Update......

I double checked the laptop I cited in my original post that was having a hard freeze issue and the KB44713187 Security Update hasn't been installed yet. 

The laptop does have a Intel(R) WiFi Link 1000 BGN network adapter.

Thanks again for your help.

21 hours ago, LiquidTension said:

Thank for your sharing your findings once again. We are currently investigating the potential correlation between certain network adapters, Malwarebytes for Windows 3.6.1 CU 1.0.508 and the machine freezing.

OK So after reactivating the Intel NIC card and re applying the Windows updates for December on my customer's test system it failed last night after only 2 days.

I am attaching the PSlist output file for the last approx 2000 items. if you need more let me know. 

I will now uninstall the Windows update KB44713187 Security Update and run the process again again to see it it fails and send that data.

Please let me know anything else you need.

PSLIST_OUTPUT.zip

22 minutes ago, arbrich said:

OK So after reactivating the Intel NIC card and re applying the Windows updates for December on my customer's test system it failed last night after only 2 days.

I am attaching the PSlist output file for the last approx 2000 items. if you need more let me know. 

I will now uninstall the Windows update KB4471318 Security Update and run the process again again to see it it fails and send that data.

Please let me know anything else you need.

PSLIST_OUTPUT.zip

Update - I went and looked and I do not have KB44713187 showing as installed on this system or needing to be installed.

This appears to be a typo from above and should be KB4471318 which is the Windows December (2012-12) Security and Quality Roll up.

Add me to the list of users having this problem. Windows 7 64, hard locks with Malewarebytes. I had to uninstall the program, before the hard locks stopped. Its really sad, its been close to a month that this has been going on, and no fix has been released? I am paying for software, that I can't use ....

Greetings,

I'm sorry that you're being affected by this issue, however you should be able to apply a workaround so that you may have at least most of the protection from Malwarebytes active without affecting the stability of your system.  If you wish to apply the workaround please reinstall the latest version of Malwarebytes which may be found here and then disable the Web Protection component as this is most likely the module causing the issue (this can be done either in the main Dashboard tab of Malwarebytes or by right-clicking on the Malwarebytes tray icon) then, if you are using Chrome (or a Chromium derivative such as SRWare Iron or Vivaldi) or Mozilla Firefox, you may install the Malwarebytes browser extension beta which blocks all of the same malicious sites that the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes does, except only for your browser rather than for your entire system (since it is just a browser extension).  That said, the browser extension does have certain advantages as it also blocks many ads, tracking servers (to guard your privacy), clickbait sites/links and also includes new behavior based blocking capabilities to block new/unknown tech support scam sites, phishing sites and several other categories of malicious sites beyond those contained in the normal block list.  Also, once this issue has been resolved you may continue to run the Malwarebytes browser extension alongside Malwarebytes Web Protection as they are fully compatible with one another.

If you wish to learn more about the browser extension and download it, you may do so at the following links:

Chrome
Firefox

I hope this helps, and again, I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this issue.  I know that the team is hard at work on this problem and that they will have it fixed as soon as they possibly can, however at the moment they have yet to determine the exact cause and have been actively collecting information from impacted users to attempt to figure it out.  If you wish to assist in this effort then it may be helpful to provide the following info from the Malwarebytes Support Tool (even if you do not wish to reinstall Malwarebytes until the issue has been fixed, the logs may still prove helpful as they will show the Devs more details about your system's software and hardware which may provide more clues as to why this issue has occurred):

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

The staff will update these threads with any status updates, including once a fix for this issue has been released, and if there is anything else we might assist you with or any further details you believe may be helpful please don't hesitate to let us know.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

We have a new pinned topic on the issue that contains known information, current workarounds and steps for providing troubleshooting information:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/241223-malwarebytes-for-windows-and-windows-7-freezelock-up/

Excluding this topic, we will be locking all open topics on this issue and directing them to the link above. This topic will be left open for discussion on the issue and a location to provide troubleshooting information requested in the link above.

Just for information for Avast Free users. Version 19.1.2360 has been released and there has been some changes to the Web Shield detection. It will interesting to see what effect if any this version has on the MBAM Web Protection issue. I realise of course that the problem we are discussing here goes beyond Avast (although there have been issues in the past) and even any other AV software full stop, but in some cases there may be an effect. I notice, having upgraded the software, that my MBAM exceptions in Avast appear to have been removed in the new version.

Thanks for the info.  Hopefully the new update will prove effective in correcting these issues for at least some portion of the affected users.  I will report this update to the team and will try to keep track of any incoming reports from Avast users as to whether or not this new update helps with the issues.

Thank you to everyone providing information on the issue.

If you've yet to do so, the troubleshooting information referenced in the link below will help us with the on-going investigation.
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/241223-malwarebytes-for-windows-and-windows-7-freezelock-up/

Refer to the Step #1, #2 and #3.

For those in a position to, changing the network adapter currently in use and monitoring the issue would also be of great help. Please refer to Step #5 in the link above. All feedback and information is greatly appreciated!