Another Windows 7 x64 freeze after the 1.0.508 update

Hello @SubyTooner:

If the system in question has the Malwarebytes 3 settings at default, that 3.6.1.2711-1.0.527 software is queued for an update to 3.7.1.2839-1.0.538 as per the release announcement in the sticky at the top of this sub-forum.

If you wish to hasten that update process, you might open the MB3 GUI > Settings > Application Tab > Application Updates > Install Application Updates button.

HTH

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, 1PW said:

Hello @SubyTooner:

If the system in question has the Malwarebytes 3 settings at default, that 3.6.1.2711-1.0.527 software is queued for an update to 3.7.1.2839-1.0.538 as per the release announcement in the sticky at the top of this sub-forum.

So what your saying is 3.7.1.2839-1.0.538 is no longer Beta and an official update and recommend updating to it?

I have my auto AC Updates switched off on my main drive but enabled on my HDD. I will be doing manual updates on SSD from now on and use my HDD as a test mule.

My computer froze again, and yes I checked and had the latest version updates installed via settings.  I'm now totally done with MBAM.  It is now uninstalled, and I'm just going to rely on only visiting known safe sites, and Microsoft Windows Defender.  Extremely aggravating that a product I paid for could have so many horrible, reoccurring issues.  

I am still going smoothly on 1.0.527 with CP update turned off, i have never had a smoother experience than this for a long time.

My PC does not hard freeze up any more.

My PC shuts down without that waiting for program to close message.

I am not willing to risk a change just yet so i will be staying on 1.0.527 and see what happens.

If you are a Comcast / Xfinity Customer, you can download and use Norton Internet Security for free.  If you don't have their service, I'd recommend buying it.  I have found It has ZERO issues with windows 7, and I wish I had known about it sooner.  Sorry Malwarebytes, I stuck with you for a long time, but I can no longer tolerate my business being held hostage because someone dropped the ball and didn't get it right.  

8 hours ago, BillJohnson said:

My computer froze again, and yes I checked and had the latest version updates installed via settings.  I'm now totally done with MBAM.  It is now uninstalled, and I'm just going to rely on only visiting known safe sites, and Microsoft Windows Defender.  Extremely aggravating that a product I paid for could have so many horrible, reoccurring issues.  

I'm sorry to hear you're still having issues and completely understand your frustration.

If you'd like to revisit troubleshooting, let us know and we can take a closer look at the issue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 6:54 PM, BillJohnson said:

there are two kind of people, one are trying to solve the problem, another ...

After January's fix I  had no problem, as many others... It could be other reason you just hiding from solving it...

I did MWB update last night:

image.png.05633196eeec353ff4fe14f5ec18dd81.png

Still running without freezes, since January!.

Once I had periodic BSOD (weekly or so...) for six month. It was WinXP, so I thought it is "normal".  Then I upgrade memory, replacing all SIMS with new ones and BSOD was gone!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 12:54 AM, BillJohnson said:

I am still experiencing freezing after start-up even with the latest MB 3.7.1.2839 on at least four different Windows 7 PCs. On three of them removal and re-install so far worked (at least for the last few days) but on one of them the issue still occurs after a reinstall and disabling the web protection. This means I had to completely uninstall MB and wait till a definitive fix will be found. Somehow annoying as the first issues already occured since a few months.

5 hours ago, ergonql said:

I am still experiencing freezing after start-up even with the latest MB 3.7.1.2839 on at least four different Windows 7 PCs. On three of them removal and re-install so far worked (at least for the last few days) but on one of them the issue still occurs after a reinstall and disabling the web protection. This means I had to completely uninstall MB and wait till a definitive fix will be found. Somehow annoying as the first issues already occured since a few months.

This is why I have not gone past the patch last issued.

Still running on 4 systems:

Can someone please tell me how to stop MWB from prompting me that there is a new update/do I want to install?

Thanks

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Can someone please tell me how to stop MWB from prompting me that there is a new update/do I want to install?

Sure, you need to disable (OFF) the two items Under Settings -> Application -> Application Updates (as shown in the picture below)

If the program has already downloaded the update, its pending the install, in order to stop that you need to delete the installer that was downloaded. You may have to disable self protection to delete the file. It is located in the folder:

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\instlrupdate

Application Updates.jpg

16 hours ago, magnetman said:

This is why I have not gone past the patch last issued.

Still running on 4 systems:

Thanks

My reasoning exactly!

I have had nothing but bliss since running the below version, my system is as smooth as silk. I too have learnt the hard way.

1.0.9608  << this is the only different version to yours.

And Firefox has covered your prompt problem.

N~

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 12:28 PM, ergonql said:

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about your continued issue. Do you have Macrium, Acronis or similar backup software installed on the computers?

Please could you provide troubleshooting logs from a few of the affected computers. Steps on how to do so can be found here:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/190532-having-problems-using-malwarebytes-please-follow-these-steps/

Seriously people, if you want to avoid all of these hassles, I've found Norton Security Suite to be plenty of protection, with ZERO lockups whatsoever.  After my second set of recent problems, I uninstalled Malwarebytes and went with Norton.  If you are a Comcast / XFinity customer, you can download this for free.  I highly recommend it.

16 minutes ago, LiquidTension said:

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear about your continued issue. Do you have Macrium, Acronis or similar backup software installed on the computers?

Please could you provide troubleshooting logs from a few of the affected computers. Steps on how to do so can be found here:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/190532-having-problems-using-malwarebytes-please-follow-these-steps/

All the PC (as well as some with Windows 10 which do not experience the issue) have Acronis 2019 installed. I will see whether it will be possible to re-install Malwarebytes and get the logs.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, abs7125 said:

Was there another update recently? My system started the same thing today, as last December, freezing. I disabled malware, and everything is working. Has anyone else started seeing this again?

Unfortunately I have to agree... MBAM has not actually figured out everything they broke when they gave birth to this freeze symptom in Win7 systems late last year. Actually for me, BOTH OF MY TWO Win7 HTPC machines (running WMC, with extenders, and Ceton TV tuner card and Hauppauge TV tuner card) started freezing sometime after last summer, and I've been chasing the problem ever since. I assumed MBAM had fixed things when they said they did, but I don't think they fixed all of the more exotic configurations... like my HTPC's.

After one of my two homebuilt ASUS-based HTPC machines died (from being hard powered-off/on after a freeze repeatedly too many times) I replaced it with a regular retail Lenovo M910t and transferred all of the internal HTPC guts over from the dead ASUS machine to the M910t. Worked freeze-free for a few days, until I got to the point of installing the Ceton and Hauppauge drivers and related software, i.e. finally "activating" the HTPC hardware/software and starting to use WMC  Bingo... freeze appeared, on the brand new machine. So it couldn't have been hardware failing, and I didn't even do the underlying Win7 install.  I only installed MBAM (as I always did), and then enabled HTPC functionality. So now I had seen the freeze on THREE different HTPC/WMC machines, all of wich contained Ceton and Hauppauge TV tuner cards inside, all of which also used MBAM Premium, Macrium Reflect Home, NovaBACKUP, and Aida64 (plus DUMeter and PERFMON). I tried all kinds of hardware/software swaps, removal, replacement, de-configure, etc., all to no avail. Still the freeze was there.

So I chased the freeze unsuccessfully on all three machines for what turned out to be 8 months... until last Wednesday (one week ago today) I made a breakthrough.  Last Wednesday I uninstalled only MBAM (leaving everything else just as it was).  I also uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials, which together with MBAM I had been running as my "protection" for almost a decade without problems, until sometime after last summer.  In place of MSE and MBAM I installed Bitdefender Total Security 2019 which had received highest marks from many online review sites.

Sure enough... PERFECTION!!!  Both of my HTPC machines have now remained up solid 24/7 and freeze-free since last Wednesday!  That's 7 days straight, of uninteruupted freeze-free performance. So far no complaints about Bitdefender which seems to do what it's supposed to, and is not intrusive.

MBAM was the culprit, at least on all three of my win7 desktop HTPC machines. However it continues to operate problem-free on 12 other Win7 machines I maintain remotely for friends and family, as well as on 3 Win8.1 machines and 6 Win10 machines, none of which are Win7 HTPC machines of course. So after 10 years on my own three Win7 desktop HTPC machines, MBAM + MSE is out, and Bitdefender is in. And once again I have freeze-free 24/7 continuous uninterrupted operation.

On 3/28/2019 at 12:14 AM, abs7125 said:

Was there another update recently? My system started the same thing today, as last December, freezing. I disabled malware, and everything is working. Has anyone else started seeing this again?

Hello,

Sorry to hear of your issue.

To help investigate this further, please carry out steps 4 and 5 in the topic linked below and provide the generated log file.

Thank you!

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 6:40 PM, nikhils said:

Hello @ergonql

Can you please follow the instructions in the following document and please send us the logs.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2396

Thank you.

Hello,

To test the issue I have to stop a workstation for at least one day which is not so easy. However the issue has for sure to do with some sort of incompatibility of Malwarebytes with Acronis 2019 as all the Windows 7 workstations without Acronis are working properly. This issue appeared since MB 3.7 and nothing changed with the latest MB release (4.049). However it seems the case also some Windows 10 workstations are now being affected (always with Acronis 2019) and it seems there are some incompatibility issues with Acronis Active Protection.

I am sure that if you setup a W7 PC with Acronis 2019 you will for sure experience the issue as this is occuring (even if sometimes not at every reboot) almost on 100% of our PCs with Acronis.

Kind regards

Davide