Introducing Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0!

Perpetual licenses are what I want - not subscriptions. I don't mind the initial cost.

But would perpetual licvences, even if they were priced much higher, be a large enough revenue stream for Malwarebytes in order for it to be able to continue to expand and improve its offer? Let's face it, faced with a choice of a one-off payment of say $50 or an annual payment of $15, many people would choose the one-off option, thus reducing overall revenue. That would not be good for the business model that has been chosen. 

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Full Screen Ahead, I understand where your coming from, I worked on a computer just last night remotely, and the person was riddled with PUP software and really could not surf the internet without being bothered with popups and junk. I used Malwarebytes to clean up her computer and convinced her she really needed to buy the Pro/Premium version. Luckily I was still able to find her a lifetime license out there at amazon while supplies last. She said then changed her mind and decided to go with the Premium annual subscription cause she was so impressed with what MBAM did for her computer.

I know others will feel different, but in this case she did not mind....

But would perpetual licvences, even if they were priced much higher, be a large enough revenue stream for Malwarebytes in order for it to be able to continue to expand and improve its offer? Let's face it, faced with a choice of a one-off payment of say $50 or an annual payment of $15, many people would choose the one-off option, thus reducing overall revenue. That would not be good for the business model that has been chosen. 

$50 per computer, versus $15 for 3 computers.  Makes a bigger difference when you look at it like that.  A 3 computer household could spend $150 now or $150 over the course of 10 years, similar to a payment plan.

It would take 10 years of recurring licenses for one household with 3 computers to match 3 lifetime licenses now at those prices.

Yes, I just got the update notice. I installed it per the instructions and I now have version 2.0.1.1004. All my settings remained the same. I didn't notice any differences in performance. It still works flawlessly.

Just a minor update, big one coming per Marcin.

In about 2-3 weeks we're going to release yet another patch that will fix about ~30 bugs that have been reported or we've discovered. We wanted to make sure the UI issues were addressed first since we had some really great feedback from everyone.

Just for everyone's information, here's what we are trying to ship out the door in less than a week --

1. change all the aggressive red colors to a calmer red, change all the aggressive orange colors to a calmer orange

I thought that you were relesing the GUI change that gave a smaller "Scan Now" green bar on the Dashboard, as in https://malwarebytes.app.box.com/s/c43zmp8n57mjqltzctwd

Two of my systems have just auto-updated to V2.0.1.1004, and the "Scan Now" button size has not changed.

Thanks Deity

Yes I knew that existing PC's with the combined Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials will be perepetually protected, and that the combination of those 2 programs is about as good as it gets for protection - while still be a virtually no maintenance solution with minimal pop-ups to puzzle the mums and dad users.

My point is that I will not do this in future ie. I will not be buying Premium whereas I bought hundreds of Pro for my customers.

I note your point about MS Security Essentials is not good enough by itself - particularly with the takover of many PC's with PUP's, which are not virus's but are making the internet so slow for users because their internet browsing is redirected through slow advertiser's servers in the US. Most anti virus's programs did not flag PUP's in the past - but that seems to be changing.

So I am now looking at what to do in future - Comodo perhaps. Perpetual licenses are what I want - not subscriptions. I don't mind the initial cost.

A little searching may provide a eureka moment in finding there are still over 4000 lifetime licenses available.

Effective July 1, 2014 Microsoft's adware policy will be more aggressive, albeit not as much as MBAM's.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2014/04/03/adware-a-new-approach.aspx

Hi, Quietman7:

Are manually updates still performed the same way...copying mbam-rules, database.conf after an update and transferring them to their respective folders on another computer?

I have tried this several times and keep getting a message about the database being corrupt.

AFAIK, nope.
They are still working on an updated version for 2.00.

Offline updating for version 2.0 as in previous versions is no longer supported as that is not a secure method of updating. There should hopefully be a rules update program available for 2.x soon though. https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=145331#entry811956

Staff will correct me if I am wrong and/or if the updated version is now available.

Cheers,

daledoc1

• 2 weeks later...

I updated MBAM Pro from v1.75 to v2.01 today and was taken aback by the banner ads. Is there any way to turn them off? I like Malwarebytes, but the constantly-changing ads are something I really don't like.

The new appearance will take some getting used to. It reminds me of the GUI styles used by trojan anti-malware, ironically, but I can live with it. Just get rid of the banners...

Thanks Ron.

I already provided feedback in the beta threads.

So I have one year left to see what comes up with the next releases then.  :)

Honestly, I don't have functional problems with the new version, it's just that I really dislike the new GUI.

Best regards,

François

• Root Admin

No problem - though personally I really don't get why users keep opening or looking at the interface.  Myself I setup everything automated so that I don't have to bother looking at it.  I set my antivirus the same way.  Then I check on it periodically to make sure nothings going on.  But opening or looking at the program daily I just don't have time (I see it enough on test boxes as I have to for helping other users but on my own system it rarely gets opened)

Thanks for the input - best wishes

• Staff

FWIW, users reverting back to old version also need to realize they won't be as secure with it. The new scan engine in 2.0 has some tweaks in it to deal with current threats that old version does not.

And I'm in agreement with Ron, who sits there staring at the UI all day? Is it really worth being a bit less secure because you don't like the colors or the layout? Not in these times it isn't, IMHO.

The team is reacting to suggestions and comments with new versions as quickly as possible as has been done in the past.

Try as they might, you can't please everyone and this happens with every version we release.

FWIW, users reverting back to old version also need to realize they won't be as secure with it. The new scan engine in 2.0 has some tweaks in it to deal with current threats that old version does not.

And I'm in agreement with Ron, who sits there staring at the UI all day? Is it really worth being a bit less secure because you don't like the colors or the layout? Not in these times it isn't, IMHO.

The team is reacting to suggestions and comments with new versions as quickly as possible as has been done in the past.

Try as they might, you can't please everyone and this happens with every version we release.

Point taken about improved technology. So, if the GUI is no big deal, why not go back to the successful 1.75 GUI and keep all us customers happy again!!!

• Root Admin

Point taken about improved technology. So, if the GUI is no big deal, why not go back to the successful 1.75 GUI and keep all us customers happy again!!!

Well believe it or not there have been many more users asking for an update to the GUI than have complained about the new one. 

Not a quote from Lincoln but certainly one that holds some truth:

"You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time."

We do thank you though for using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and if you've been following along I'm sure you can see that we're continuing to process feedback from all users and make tweaks and adjustments to the program.

Thank you again.