goldhound

What are you listening to?

Slipknot is back.  Been listening to this album on repeat, over and over for a while now.  It's deep, it's dark, in places quite sad (it's a tribute album for bassist Paul Gray who passed prior to the album being produced):

I highly recommend it to fans of Slipknot or thrash metal in general, and while the above entry is partially censored, I'd highly recommend picking up an unedited copy (I bought it in MP3 format when it came out on Amazon) to get the full impact of the lyrics which are very intense.

Being a longtime Slipknot fan, I have all their albums and while I always liked the first two more than Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) (though I did still love that album, don't get me wrong) due to their heavier sounds, especially Iowa their second offering, .5: The Gray Chapter is like a perfect blend of the two styles, emitting the heavier sounds and thrash metal double bass and similar (drop B I think?) guitar tuning giving that lower, growlier sound to the riffs on most tracks.

It's also very much a concept album, by which I mean much if not all tracks are in some way connected to others on the album telling an overarching story along the lines of many Pink Floyd albums (though not to the same degree as some cases like The Wall, which was basically a movie on disc).  With that said, I actually think I found a pattern in some of the songs indicating a different ordering to the tracks (similar to what some other artists have done in the past like Tool on Lateralus, where it is clear that some of the songs are out of order/should be arranged before or after different songs on the album) so this is the order I listen to the album most often:

GrayChapter.png.7c07fcf668f50b8ec22648599f8f83ac.png

If going by track number, this is the order of tracks for my custom arrangement:

This custom order is based on everything from the sound effects/melodies at the beginning and end of each track to lyrics as well as the melodies of specific "hooks" or verses in the songs where they sometimes match or sound similar to components of other songs found elsewhere on the album.  Also bear in mind that this is the original release version of the album, not the special edition with the bonus tracks (5 I think, with 2 numbered and 3 hidden) so I haven't accounted for those additional tracks in my custom order.

https://wolfgun.bandcamp.com/album/road-to-jupiter

My personal favorite track (As Stars Fall) from my personal favorite musician (Wolfgun)

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Removed live hyperlink to unknown site.

Oh. Sorry, @AdvancedSetup. I'll be more careful...

Bandcamp isn't really an unknown website though. It's been around longer than Soundcloud!

- - - - - - -

Back on topic...

Other songs by Wolfgun I listen to often include The Gift, Volk and Visions in Fire. For other types of music, I primarily listen to soundtracks from my favorite games, or occasionally movies. Daft Punk's work on the TRON Legacy soundtrack was excellent.

I just bought the newest album by Disturbed and I am so excited to listen to it soon 😁😊

Honestly, it'll probably bore you.  ( albeit, the whole move is available on YouTube )

I suggest to listen to the song below.

NOTEAlice's Restaurant is by Arlo Guthrie who is the son of one of the most famous US folk singers, Woodie Guthrie.  Best known for the American anthem "This land is Your Land".    The famous US folk singer Pete Seeger often played with Woodie and has a cameo in Arlo's film.

Here in New England, it has been a long running staple for radio stations to play Alice's Restaurant on Thanksgiving.

Most old stoners like this song.  There are many that will keep you awake past your bedtime if you will allow it.

There is even a restaurant here (in the stony woods) called Alice's Restaurant.  It sticks to the tradition.  Neil Young lives close by.

Edited by gonzo
Its Friday and that's enough

238271454_pigonthewing.gif.288accda7a6cc5129166bbeeb5e1954b.gif

Edited by David H. Lipman

My favorite album, and a perfect description of the human condition.  If I do this right, here's a nice little ditty from an Australian punk band (c. 1983)

And I can't walk away from this page without posting some Janis. Every show I ever saw her sing at was magnificent.  This song has always been my favorite of hers.

Here is a very welcome contradiction.  Thanks to a coworker with a Japanese wife and Japanese cultural influences...

7 hours ago, gonzo said:

Here is a very welcome contradiction.  Thanks to a coworker with a Japanese wife and Japanese cultural influences...

Hahaha... love this. On another forum, a member shared something similar so here goes. Maybe your co-worker knows about them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIKqgE4BwAY

Edited by Mark

I listened to the Babymetal.  The music at times was promising, and at other times calculated.  The girls were...well...a gimmick.  I looked at the Youtube suggested links after that one and saw one that I need to share.  I bought this one to encourage them and to get a FLAC copy of one that I thought was amazing, considering the participants  Hope you like it.

Once I get started listening, its hard to stop.  I have played guitar for half a century, and one day if I am lucky, I'll do it well.  I have always loved blues.  This one (Stevie Ray) is one of my later deity discoveries.  They gotta be damn good for me to call them a God.  This song proves in my mind that he discovered a musical place that had never been known before.  Here it is:

Edited by gonzo
beer causes that