Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 30/06/2017 at 11:20 PM, Utomo said:

Any plan to acquire other tools ? so we can use less tools to handle malware

right now sometimes we need to use different tools

AdwCleaner isn't going away. It's now part of Malwarebytes' portfolio and for now, will continue to use as a stand-alone product (from what I read and understand).

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I would like to say this program is good but I can't . I mean yes I like the fact it scans for bad things but that not necessary saying what adwcleaner finds is all bad . I mean I know of a software that does have PUP attach to the install but if one is careful not to install these PUP than the original program is okay to use but yet your scanner would say other wise and for that reason alone I say adwcleaner is not all that

@fr33tux did you not notice I already had a post about it and again I'm just expressing my opinion on this software from using it on a software that I found to be malware free and the program itself passed other scans from reliable security software companies, here below is an example

eset.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I had never run AdwCleaner on my present computers. I seem to remember the program being around in previous operating systems.

Well, I recently ran it on all 5 computers and it found hundreds of PUPs which are now gone.

I am  just a little curious about them. How did they get on m y computers  and why did the PUPs all end up only in the registry?

Great program by the way.?

They may have been false positives.  There have recently been a couple of FP issues with certain registry detections in the latest version of ADWCleaner (build 7.2.2) including detections of entries created by Spywareblaster and Spybot Search & Destroy's Immunize function so if you've used either of those, that's likely where the detections came from and you should restore them from quarantine and then scan again and exclude them if this is the case.  You can find more details about this issue in this thread.

55 minutes ago, exile360 said:

They may have been false positives.  There have recently been a couple of FP issues with certain registry detections in the latest version of ADWCleaner (build 7.2.2) including detections of entries created by Spywareblaster and Spybot Search & Destroy's Immunize function so if you've used either of those, that's likely where the detections came from and you should restore them from quarantine and then scan again and exclude them if this is the case.  You can find more details about this issue in this thread.

Well, thanks for the information and the link.

Correct me if I am wrong but hasn't AdwCleaner been around for a while? I seem to remember that it did not have the same look as the current version and never found anything on my computers.

And yes, I do use Spyware blaster

Yes, it's been around for several years now and was recently acquired by Malwarebytes in 2016 (they also acquired JRT [Junkware Removal Tool] around that time as well) and they updated the look to make it fit in with Malwarebytes' other products and tools.  The FP issue is a recent development that started with version 7.2.2 which was released earlier this week.  The Developer is aware of the issue and should have it corrected soon.  Unfortunately it's not uncommon for Spywareblaster to trigger such detections and as a longtime Spywareblaster/Spybot S&D user myself, I've seen plenty of apps that detected the entries they create unfortunately, primarily due to the fact that some threats will add such sites to the trusted sites list for IE in the registry which uses the exact same keys/structure as the entries created by Spywareblaster and Spybot to place them in the restricted zone (it's a difference of a value of 2 vs a value of 4, but many products just check for the presence of the sites in those keys at all to determine whether or not to detect them and that's where the FPs come from).

11 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Yes, it's been around for several years now and was recently acquired by Malwarebytes in 2016 (they also acquired JRT [Junkware Removal Tool] around that time as well) and they updated the look to make it fit in with Malwarebytes' other products and tools.  The FP issue is a recent development that started with version 7.2.2 which was released earlier this week.  The Developer is aware of the issue and should have it corrected soon.  Unfortunately it's not uncommon for Spywareblaster to trigger such detections and as a longtime Spywareblaster/Spybot S&D user myself, I've seen plenty of apps that detected the entries they create unfortunately, primarily due to the fact that some threats will add such sites to the trusted sites list for IE in the registry which uses the exact same keys/structure as the entries created by Spywareblaster and Spybot to place them in the restricted zone (it's a difference of a value of 2 vs a value of 4, but many products just check for the presence of the sites in those keys at all to determine whether or not to detect them and that's where the FPs come from).

Well, thank you very much for the history lesson. I, for one, appreciate it and I'm sure many others will also.

2 hours ago, exile360 said:

Yep, they were false positives. Interesting. If I go to Spyware Blaster it will show the same amount of PUPs that AdwCleaner found in the registry have been disabled.  This comes under the category of "you learn something new every day".

Thanks again.

4 minutes ago, exile360 said:

You're welcome, I've been playing with these apps for a really long time so it's all old news to me, but I'm glad to share the knowledge :) 

Well, I had never used to new version before. It looked pretty but that's about all. ?