We are pleased to share a preview of the 8th major release of AdwCleaner!
This version has been slowly worked on for a year now, and very actively for a few weeks and provides major improvements:
We have upgraded our toolchain to a more modern suite in order to benefit from security improvements, various new compiler optimizations and to use new C++ features to get a cleaner and more efficient code. Although this change is mostly invisible, it has been a critical change to support our future work and to greatly reduce the technical debt.
We moved to Qt 5.13 branch which is the latest version to date, and which provides major improvements for native integrations
We introduced again a working Chrome scan and remediation module that allows AdwCleaner to scan and clean Chrome in a fully comprehensive manner. Related, we temporarily removed the support for Firefox scanning and cleaning and we will introduce a fully new module to provide a much better support in the version 8.0.1 early December.
We have been fixing numerous bugs in the remediation and quarantine logic. This part is now much more robust that it was before.
Although we have not officially supported Windows Vista or Windows XP for a few years now, we got reports of successful usage by various users on both Windows versions. We know for sure that AdwCleaner 8 and onward will no longer work on these platforms. A support page will be posted with a link to AdwCleaner 7.4.2 which is the last release to run on those versions.
There is no changes to the UI or no new features as to speak. Most of the significant changes are happening under the hood, but that doesn't make them less critical and major to provide performances and stability again as we are aware it has been lagging for the past months.
If everything goes well, we expect to release AdwCleaner 8th next Tuesday, and the 8.0.1 a few weeks later as we are now finally back on the "one release every 3 to 4 weeks schedule" to include your feedbacks more quickly (more on that shortly) and to overall improve AdwCleaner's quality.
The expected changelog is as below:
## v8 [26/11/2019]
- Following the release of MB4, the in-app installer now installs Malwarebytes 4.
- Always download the very latest Malwarebytes build
- Update Qt to 5.13 branch
- Upgrade the build toolchain to Visual Studio 2017
- Update OpenSSL
- No longer force the generation of the debug logfile
- Support again the very latest versions of the Chrome Browser and allow for proper remediation
- Temporarily disable Firefox scanning and remediation - will be added back in the upcoming 8.0.1 release
- Update translations
- Update definitions to 2019.11.20.1
- Completely drop support for Windows XP and Vista. Refer to https://links.malwarebytes.com/support/adwcleaner_windows_compatibility
- Crash when the UI is displayed in Arabic
- Make the uninstallation process more robust and less likely to leave traces behind
- Make the quarantine process more stable and less susceptible to corruption
To download AdwCleaner 8 beta, click here.
Please share with us your feedback!