Malwarebytes Acquires AdwCleaner

Oh, hehe, I was referring mainly to Spywareblaster and the FPs.  I'm familiar with them because I've seen them before and have used Spywareblaster for so many years that I recognized the detections as soon as I saw them and knew what they were.  I cited an example in the thread I linked to of an old app called PestPatrol that used to be one of my go-to tools long ago before Malwarebytes existed (it was made by eTrust/Computer Associates/CA).  It used to detect those entries all the time for the same reason that ADWCleaner did, because it was looking for malicious sites being added to the trusted sites list for IE in the registry.  I've seen other apps detect them as well over the years.  It's just one of those things I've had a decent amount of experience dealing with, not unlike when a scanner detects my massive HOSTS file as a threat even though every entry is there to block malware, ads, scams, telemetry and trackers etc.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Oh, hehe, I was referring mainly to Spywareblaster and the FPs.  I'm familiar with them because I've seen them before and have used Spywareblaster for so many years that I recognized the detections as soon as I saw them and knew what they were.  I cited an example in the thread I linked to of an old app called PestPatrol that used to be one of my go-to tools long ago before Malwarebytes existed (it was made by eTrust/Computer Associates/CA).  It used to detect those entries all the time for the same reason that ADWCleaner did, because it was looking for malicious sites being added to the trusted sites list for IE in the registry.  I've seen other apps detect them as well over the years.  It's just one of those things I've had a decent amount of experience dealing with, not unlike when a scanner detects my massive HOSTS file as a threat even though every entry is there to block malware, ads, scams, telemetry and trackers etc.

I never had looked at the Spyware blaster registry entries and yes, I have used it for years.

Now I know more about it. ?

• 2 months later...