Malwarebytes 4 windows security center registration issue

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm having the exact same issue as OP. I have MBAM at least on three Windows 10 PC at home and they all have the goofy issue. Nothing I've tried seems to fix the glitch. Even clean install of Win 10 doesn't solve the issue. I want to say that this has been happening ever since the Windows 1809 build and has been persisting into the current 1903.

I was reading online that for a couple of months the recent Windows Updates have been breaking a lot of stuff. Webroot seems to restart itself once after the bootup and redisplays the same exact Windows notification "Webroot extension is available for Edge."

This probably doesn't affect the core MBAM protection and features but I wish that it was fixed so that Windows Defender would get disabled since it's near useless.

On 11/22/2019 at 10:38 PM, Charyb said:

You say it is fixed, but I see nowhere in the announcement that it has been in Windows 10. 

The changelog for the latest component package version can be found here: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/253227-announcing-malwarebytes-40-for-windows/?do=findComment&comment=1345938

The issue was mentioned in the 4th point.

Our testing shows that this issue was addressed with the latest update and we have not seen any further issues with Malwarebytes not registering correctly since the update.

For those still experiencing an issue, please ensure you have the latest update installed by viewing the About page within the Settings and confirming 1.0.750 is listed as the Component package version. If the issue persists, please do the following:

• Open Malwarebytes.
  • Click Settings.
  • Turn on the, "Event log data" setting.
  • Quit Malwarebytes by right-clicking the notification area icon and clicking Quit Malwarebytes.
  • Wait ~20 seconds and launch Malwarebytes.
  • Verify if Malwarebytes correctly registers in Windows Security Center. Ensure you wait at least a few minutes.

If Malwarebytes does not register correctly in Windows Security Center, please provide logs with the Malwarebytes Support Tool: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2396

That notice is from Windows 10.   It is not from MB.

I am understanding that you want no protection from Windows 10'  Windows Defender.

You may want to consider turning off / "disable"  the Windows Defender Potentially Unwanted Applications (PUA) Protection
see this article at Tenforums
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/32236-enable-disable-windows-defender-pua-protection-windows-10-a.html

Do a backup of the Windows registry before making changes
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/322756/how-to-back-up-and-restore-the-registry-in-windows

7 hours ago, LiquidTension said:

The changelog for the latest component package version can be found here: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/253227-announcing-malwarebytes-40-for-windows/?do=findComment&comment=1345938

The issue was mentioned in the 4th point.

Our testing shows that this issue was addressed with the latest update and we have not seen any further issues with Malwarebytes not registering correctly since the update.

For those still experiencing an issue, please ensure you have the latest update installed by viewing the About page within the Settings and confirming 1.0.750 is listed as the Component package version. If the issue persists, please do the following:

• Open Malwarebytes.
  • Click Settings.
  • Turn on the, "Event log data" setting.
  • Quit Malwarebytes by right-clicking the notification area icon and clicking Quit Malwarebytes.
  • Wait ~20 seconds and launch Malwarebytes.
  • Verify if Malwarebytes correctly registers in Windows Security Center. Ensure you wait at least a few minutes.

If Malwarebytes does not register correctly in Windows Security Center, please provide logs with the Malwarebytes Support Tool: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2396

This issue in the changelog shows w7 which, to me, means Windows 7. There is no mention of Windows 10. You keep saying it's fixed, but there are people here telling you that it's not. I have never had any other antimalware/antivirus program with as erratic behavior with Window Security Center as I have with Malwarebytes. I am aware that the tamper protection notification comes from Windows, but it has never appeared until Malwarebytes 4.0 was installed. I think you folks should quit stating it's fixed when users tell you otherwise.

2019.11.25_19h13m25s_002_.png

18 hours ago, Omoeba said:

@LiquidTensionjust to confirm, is the "enable tamper protection" WSC status for a few minutes after reboot caused by MB or not?

Tamper Protection in Windows 10 isn't related to this forum topic or to the WSC fix mentioned in the changelog.
The issue that we fixed involved the status of Malwarebytes being reported as turned off when the product was fully enabled.

Is your only issue with WSC reporting Tamper Protection as off? What is the current status of Malwarebytes? Do you have the Windows Defender "periodic scanning" setting enabled? By default, it is expected for Tamper Protection to be disabled when another security product is registered as an Anti-Virus in WSC. It can however be enabled if the Windows Defender "periodic scanning" setting is enabled.

---

Also, as mentioned earlier, it takes several minutes after a Windows startup for WSC to report correct information for the system. This has nothing to do with Malwarebytes and is entirely related to expected WSC behaviour. There is no value in checking WSC immediately after a reboot.

Edited by LiquidTension

installed the windows 10 1909 version. sadly, it didn't register in windows defender again

i tried cleaning mbam withi ts support tool and reinstalling it. sadly it didnt work again

i'll bite the bullet and reinstall the windows this night. it will be my final attempt regarding this issue

Please keep in mind that Malwarebytes doesn't need to register in the Windows Security Center in order to function.  All Security Center does is monitor the status of your protection as reported to it by Malwarebytes itself and since Malwarebytes monitors its own status it will alert you if there are any issues such as protection not being enabled or signatures being out of date.

31 minutes ago, yamaci17 said:

installed the windows 10 1909 version. sadly, it didn't register in windows defender again

i tried cleaning mbam withi ts support tool and reinstalling it. sadly it didnt work again

i'll bite the bullet and reinstall the windows this night. it will be my final attempt regarding this issue

I personally turn off registration of MB in every computer I service. All my clients use both Defender and MB and some times MB turns off Defender when registered.

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

I personally turn off registration of MB in every computer I service. All my clients use both Defender and MB and some times MB turns off Defender when registered.

i know friend, but sadly, i dont love the way how defender works. if i had a cpu such as ryzen 2600 or i7 8700k with hyper threading and lots of threads, i could've used defender

but as of now, its just a headache for my 6 core 6 thread cpu.

i shoot up battlefield 5 and guess what? stutter every 5-10 minutes. whenver i stutter, i see windows defender randomly using cpu to scan pc or scan some executable it thinks it dangerous.

not to mention, for the 1 year i've been with malwarebytes, malwarebytes has caught tons of legit trojans viruses and such. but defender was sleeping all the time. just take the last month for example. three trojen attempts happened while defender was active but it didn't found them. i m sure it would let those trojens take away my pc if i didn't have malwarebytes or something

and again, also, if i were to accept windows defender real time , i would never resort to malwarebyytes in the beginning. only reason i got premium for mb was for its real time protection.

but sorry, my low threaded cpu can't handle double real time protections

7 minutes ago, yamaci17 said:

its just a headache for my 6 core 6 thread cpu.

Your i5 8400 and 16 gigs of ram should not be an issue.  Hope you also have a SSD as well.

9 minutes ago, yamaci17 said:

i would never resort to malwarebyytes in the beginning. only reason i got premium for mb was for its real time protection.

I do not consider MB something I would resort to. Is just part of a layered approach to security.  There are several things that MB does not detect that Defender will. Yes more than likely MB might stop them with web protection or exploit protection if you execute the file but Defender will catch things before you have to "run" them.

Did you actually fully neuter Defender like it mentions here ?

Also like exile mentioned MB does not have to register in the security center to function. 

Anyway, Best wishes and Happy holidays to you and yours.

Just now, Porthos said:

Your i5 8400 and 16 gigs of ram should not be an issue.  Hope you also have a SSD as well.

I do not consider MB something I would resort to. Is just part of a layered approach to security.  There are several things that MB does not detect that Defender will. Yes more than likely MB might stop them with web protection or exploit protection if you execute the file but Defender will catch things before you have to "run" them.

Did you actually fully neuter Defender like it mentions here ?

Also like exile mentioned MB does not have to register in the security center to function. 

Anyway, Best wishes and Happy holidays to you and yours.

thank you friend but somes became very demanding. ac odyssey and bf5 for example puts 10 gigabyte ram load and full cpu loads., i really mean it :) when the defender decides to scan it gets worse

sadly i cannot disable defender via gpedit bcoz i have a windows home licence :)

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2019 at 10:29 AM, Maurice Naggar said:

@Omoeba   

Thanks for the new report.  This Windows 10 is all good to go.

The WIN10 Windows Defender is on and is the resident antivirus.   Plus all protections of Malwarebytes are ON.

It is all good.   The pc is being protected by the 2 programs.

That has no sense.

You shouldn't run 2 antivirus or antimalware on background unless you want to slow down your computer. Malwarebyte should be recognized as a provider in the security center in order to take the control. Malwarebytes and Windows Defender are currently fighting to scan everything that is running or listed on your windows explorer.

If I need to disable manually Windows Defender in the registry, I don't know what kind of problems could it origin in a future windows update... In the other hand, if I have to disable MBAM active protection, I don't know why I paid for that features.

The team should fix it. It's not an isolated problem and still is happening even on fresh installs...

Greetings,

This is not how Malwarebytes works; it does not scan items in explorer on access the way that Windows Defender and other AVs do; it is engineered this way deliberately for the sake of compatibility so that it can be run alongside third party security tools and traditional AVs, including Windows Defender.

27 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Greetings,

This is not how Malwarebytes works; it does not scan items in explorer on access the way that Windows Defender and other AVs do; it is engineered this way deliberately for the sake of compatibility so that it can be run alongside third party security tools and traditional AVs, including Windows Defender.

Ok, forget the file explorer, but what about PUPs? Defender has the same function in that field... I can assure you that the performance has been decreased since my premium activation. It has spikes on cpu usage and had to uninstall it until it is solved

I never had that problem with MBAM 3. I have been a great defender of MBAM and love it for years but wtf is going on right now?

I very much hope that a good solution will be found or I'll have to install Mcafee (just kidding, juuust kidding 😉)

54 minutes ago, m3lk4rt said:

It has spikes on cpu usage

It WILL spike CPU usage during a scan.

Give this a try as well.

Add the following exclusions to Defender

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MbamElam.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\farflt.sys

Add to Process exclusions the following files. (copy and paste works best on these)

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\malwarebytes_assistant.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe

Folders
Also the MB folder in Program Files and the one in Program Data (it is hidden by default)

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes
C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes   (Enable hidden files to add this one.)

Defender to Malwarebytes allow list.