Omoeba

Malwarebytes 4 windows security center registration issue

Yes, fast startup does some very odd things.  I would personally disable it on all my systems as it has a tendency of breaking many applications because it tries to keep some items in memory as though the system were still running while others it does not, and for cases where an application has a common startup dependency as part of its startup process during boot, if one component is terminated while the other remains running it can cause the application to fail to go through its normal initialization routine resulting in the application failing to start all of its components.  This has affected Malwarebytes in the past along with many other applications.

If you wish to disable it or just to find out more about the issues with it you may review the information found here as well as here.

In some cases, Windows 10 fast startup can cause unseen complications because then it does not do a full proper restart.

@Charyb

I was looking for a fresh run of the support tool to get a fresh report.   Can do ?

By the way, its becoming a bit confusing to have more than one person on the same thread.

38 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

In some cases, Windows 10 fast startup can cause unseen complications because then it does not do a full proper restart.

@Charyb

I was looking for a fresh run of the support tool to get a fresh report.   Can do ?

By the way, its becoming a bit confusing to have more than one person on the same thread.

Attached are the new logs created by the support tool.

Do you want me to create my own topic? I didn't mean for this to hijack Omoeba's topic.

mbst-grab-results.zip

I don't want to use Windows defender. I just want MBAM. Windows defender randomly uses high amounts of CPU. I know it tries to protect but I think MBAM real time is enough for a regular not shady person. Pls fix this issue...

I've been having this issue as well with 4.0 on Windows 10. It de-registers itself with Action Center every reboot. Fast startup is disabled.

@Charyb   

Thank you for the support tool report.   You had said earlier 

I want to use Malwarebytes as my primary cybersecurity software like it says in the announcement.

Let's go ahead and do the following steps.   Please have patience while doing what follows.

[    1   ]

Restart Windows so that there is a fresh session.

Your pc already has the support tool on the DESKTOP.

• Double-click   mb-support-1.5.3.749     to run the tool.
  • When prompted by Windows, reply YES to allow the tool to go forward.
  • You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!".
  • Click the Advanced Options link. This is important. Please ensure Advanced Options is clicked.
  • Click the Clean button followed by Yes to proceed.
  • Upon completion, click OK to reboot your computer.
  • After the reboot, please wait for the program to reopen.
  •  
  • You will be presented with the option to install Malwarebytes for Windows. Click Yes.
  • Installation of Malwarebytes for Windows will commence shortly after.
  • Upon completion, Malwarebytes for Windows will automatically open.
  • Note: If installation of Malwarebytes for Windows does not commence, please let me know.

Then, when all is done, please lets do one final Windows Restart.

If you encounter any issues during the running of the tool, please let me know.

[    2    ]

Take a visual look on Malwarebytes.   Start the program.

Click the Settings  ( gear ) icon on the top right.

Click the Security tan.

Scroll to Windows Startup

Just for safety's sake, lets be sure that "Launch Malwarebytes in the background when Windows starts up"  is ON   ( clicked to the Right with blue background).

Then scroll down to Windows Security Center

For "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center"  is ON    ---  clicked to the right with blue background.

for safety's sake, review the Real-time Protections.   click the X button so that the screen is back to the main one.

Lets be sure all  4  Real-time protections   are ON   

[     3   ]

You may use Windows File Explorer   and put this in the address bar

Control Panel\System and Security\Security and Maintenance

or on the Taskbar  search box type in

Security and Maintenance

and click that in the results 

Then if needed,  expand the Security   selection

click on View in Windows Security

Take   a look at the summary information there.   Let me know about the status displays.    If there is still some mis-match with your needs, we can take some additional steps.

Cheers.

@Maurice NaggarIt definitely isn't an issue on Charyb's end because I tested a completely clean install of Win10 Pro and MB4 with the same issue.

@Maurice Naggar

I have already completed all of the steps you mention, reinstalled MBAM 3 or 4 times, installed a clean copy of Window 10 Pro on 11/4/2019,  ran the Malwarebytes security tool several times, uploaded log files, and checked all Windows Security Center and MBAM settings, etc. I really appreciate your help, but I'm throwing in the towel for now. Thank you for your time.

@Charyb   I regret your troubles.   I surely would not have recommended doing that whole list of things .

My next suggestion is this.

Please try the following steps to see if they can be of any help.

The command below will need to be done from an Elevated Command prompt window

Right click the windows logo lower left corner of your Taskbar > choose Command Prompt (Admin)

Click Yes in the User Account Control dialog, if prompted.

Type the 

winmgmt /verifyrepository 

into the Command Prompt 

and press the Enter key to perform a consistency check of the WMI Repository.

If you see a message message WMI repository is consistent    then  we can stop.

If you receive the message WMI repository is inconsistent

Then

1. Disable and stop the WMI service.    Run the following commands

sc config winmgmt start= disabled

net stop winmgmt

2. Run the following commands. 

winmgmt /salvagerepository %windir%\System32\wbem   

winmgmt /resetrepository %windir%\System32\wbem

4. Re-enable the WMI service and then reboot the PC to see how it goes.

sc config winmgmt start= auto

Hi everyone,

This is an issue with how Malwarebytes is registering in the Windows Security Center. We have a defect filed and hope to address it soon in a future update.

After windows boots for a couple minutes, the "security providers" page is listed as having "no available features" and windows defender is enabled. Is this normal behavior?

You mention 

the "security providers" page

Would you please arrange to get a screenshot image and then attach so that we can see just exactly what you are looking at.

[    B    ]    Second, you mention Windows has been reinstalled.   It is quite difficult to convey advice without a fresh readout.

I would suggest to also do a new run with the Malwarebytes Support tool  and then attach the mbst ZIP file.

[     C     ]

The command below will need to be done from an Elevated Command prompt window
Right click the windows logo lower left corner of your Taskbar > choose Command Prompt (Admin)

Copy  then Paste the whole line AS IS onto the command prompt   & then tap Enter-key

wmic /namespace:\\root\securitycenter2 path antivirusproduct get /value > status.txt

Please attach the file Status.txt  with your reply.

9 hours ago, Omoeba said:

After windows boots for a couple minutes, the "security providers" page is listed as having "no available features" and windows defender is enabled. Is this normal behavior?

Yes, this is expected and cannot be controlled by Malwarebytes. The Security Center service has a delayed automatic start type - therefore, it can take several minutes before Windows displays the correct status.

Once the service has started, the status should be correctly reported as of the most recent Component Package update (1.0.750).

Defender just uses too much CPU. I already feel my PC has gotten clumsier. Sorry, but I cannot accept this. Intel nerfs my stupid 6/6 cpu for 1.5 years. And Defender using %3-5 cpu constantly is not very cool.

Only reason I went with MB was its effective real time protection with lesser CPU usage and its ability to disable Windows Defender when its active. Please fix :(

The issue reported by the original poster in this topic is fixed with the latest Component Package update (1.0.750) in Malwarebytes. You can check the version number by opening the Malwarebytes Settings and clicking About.

Once the Windows Security Center service has started, the correct Malwarebytes status is reported (depending on your Malwarebytes settings). If you have Malwarebytes configured to register with the Security Center, it will do so, which in turn disables Windows Defender.

My dear friend, I click that update button every day, hoping that it would get fixed. If a reinstall of Windows 10 is a fix, just tell me so I will do it. If it's not fixable,, at least be bold enough to say it.

I'm on so called 1.0.750 already, and sorry, it still doesn't register.

At least I had found a way, but it doesn't work anymore as well. I was unticking "always register" button, wait for a couple of seconds, tick again, and ta da, it registers in W-Security. Not anymore!

5 hours ago, LiquidTension said:

The issue reported by the original poster in this topic is fixed with the latest Component Package update (1.0.750) in Malwarebytes. You can check the version number by opening the Malwarebytes Settings and clicking About.

Once the Windows Security Center service has started, the correct Malwarebytes status is reported (depending on your Malwarebytes settings). If you have Malwarebytes configured to register with the Security Center, it will do so, which in turn disables Windows Defender.

You say it is fixed, but I see nowhere in the announcement that it has been in Windows 10. 

@Omoeba

When you restart, does Windows Security Center show Tamper Protection is turned off? The tray icon shows yellow icon and when I open the GUI it shows tamper protection off. This happens every time I restart.