[RESOLVED] No more "Post ####"

Before we could reference a specific post number in a given thread.

We could write "Please see Post #5" or even link to Post #5

But now, the threads have no post number.  Therefore one can not reference a post made a week ago in a long thread.

Those threads that did have a link such as link to Post #5  are now BROKEN.  All the past threads that were well choreographed through such actions have been emasculated.

Edited by celee

• celee locked this topic

I wanted to revive the issue of not having a specific "Post #" to reference in a long thread.

Right now it is relative time and the time is misleading if not just plain false.

For example I see ===> Image1.jpg

When I mouse over it I see:  03/30/2016 08:51 AM

But when I look at the PC Clock it is 1045 hrs. That is NOT 1 hour ago

It needs to be a Post Number ( Post ### ) and preferably a  Right Justified  field item.

Something like...

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/181033-post-numbers-revisted/#comment-1030129

is just a URL.  I am referring to the label to a URL.  Such as if I write  "Please see Post #6" the reader can physically find Post #6 in the thread as well as click on  Post #6 to take them directly there.  In fact you may call that an explicit reference.  While a relative time is an implicit reference relative to the POV of the reader and that is a poor way to do it.  It is a regression in capability not a progression in capability.

For what I ve red on the IPS support there is need of sort of a plug in in order to get the post count set in the forum, I  don't know

if they have that plugin, it's  free

https://invisionpower.com/files/file/7644-mtm-ye-olde-post-count-of-yesteryear/

3 hours ago, David H. Lipman said:

I am referring to the label to a URL.  Such as if I write  "Please see Post #6" the reader can physically find Post #6 in the thread as well as click on  Post #6 to take them directly there.  In fact you may call that an explicit reference.  While a relative time is an implicit reference relative to the POV of the reader and that is a poor way to do it.  It is a regression in capability not a progression in capability.

Agreed.  Post number gives an alternate method to finding the post.  It should be added back.

5 hours ago, David H. Lipman said:

I wanted to revive the issue of not having a specific "Post #" to reference in a long thread.

Right now it is relative time and the time is misleading if not just plain false.

For example I see ===> Image1.jpg

When I mouse over it I see:  03/30/2016 08:51 AM

But when I look at the PC Clock it is 1045 hrs. That is NOT 1 hour ago

It needs to be a Post Number ( Post ### ) and preferably a  Right Justified  field item.

Yes, please.

Agree with restoring this feature, if possible. 

We all understand how to cop/paste the URL.

But, as David pointed out, the post number is a clearer, more stable means of "labeling" and then referring to a previous post.

Thanks,

• celee unlocked this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is indeed clickable in Firefox, Firefox.  And now, we can easily choose "Copy Link Location"  and use it as a reference such as  Post ID #21 so you can reference as a label [ ID #21 ] as well as a link.

Edited by David H. Lipman