RAM usage - what is going on?

I have now managed to get back in to my computer and shut down malwarebytes. RAM now at 23% and things now working. Is this a virus or something? My other computer was running Premium and was showing as running the free version. Could not get my licence details back in for some time but that's now resolved. 

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Wyndstryke said:

Only if you like being fined for wasting police time.  They'd just laugh at you.

Seriously - disable it or uninstall it, wait for a confirmed-good update, reinstall it.

Stalk this guy's account for updates :- https://forums.malwarebytes.com/profile/1495-shadowwar/

If I end up with data loss I'll sue for damages, seriously, I don't care about their EULA limitation of damages!!

It's the lastest update file btw - I managed to reinstall, all fine, the moment I updated defs memory started skyrocketing. They need to rollback this ASAP. And seriously, they have software a defs update can completely break? This can't be serious... :-(

8 minutes ago, daman1 said:

Same here all you can do for now.

I admit I didn't consider the option of disabling the service and decided to uninstall until the problem is fixed. Security-related applications are by their nature designed not to make it easy to close them down anyway. Having spent the last few days trying to pin down an SSD TRIM issue, I could have done without Malwarebytes suddenly deciding to eat up all my VM. Having said that I'm a little surprised at the reactions in this thread. If and when we know what triggered the issue, we can then decide whether it was reasonably avoidable or not. 

Just now, JoshuaWillman said:

Frustrating, but comforting to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. It seriously freaked me out at first.

yeah thought i got a virus but then how i have protection activated till i check process list then played around a bit with it and decided to uinstall

So, I work for a small law office as IT and wear many other hats. Once upon a time we needed antivirus protection, I personally made a plea to use Malwarebytes. Did a research, presentation, etc. We bought over 100 licenses for laptops. All was great. Then all hell breaks loose, no one can do their work, laptops freeze, etc. The only thing that helps is uninstalling Malewarebytes. So, it takes some time to explain employees on the phone how to remove AV and fix the freezing, computers would lag so much, couldn't even remote login. Hundreds of productivity hours lost. So, my boss calls me, says I won't be fired but my word means nothing in his company anymore, kind of telling me I should be looking for a job elsewhere, that we should have gone with a big enterprise solution, as he said. What a day.

Just a word to everyone saying "I've had enough of Malwarebytes - I'm going to switch to something else"....Switching to another program can potentially bring different problems.  Every antivirus product I've ever used has had an issue here and there.  Even Microsoft releases buggy updates, and here we all are still using Windows.  Just sit tight.  They'll fix it.

4 minutes ago, TheQuickFox said:

Malwarebytes was just using 29GB of my 32 GB of RAM memory.

Malwarebytes 3.3.1.2183

Component version 1.0.262

Update package 1.0.3798

Windows kicked my Guild Wars 2 game out of RAM apparently to give Malwarebytes more space (bad choice there)

Please fix. I do not plan on buying even more ram.

Ram means random access memory, no need to say memory. 

Just another Me Too!

Computer crashed 3 times in row - straight to black screen and need for power cycle. Luckily tracked it down via task manager to see 16 GB of RAM being consumed in about 5 mins. Went to Services and set "Malwarebytes Service" to Disabled. All good for now.

Edited by RandomDisplayName

Happened to all my client computers this morning, what a way to start a saturday.  I remoted in and simply uninstalled this POS software so they could finish the business day unprotected. 

Please patch this memory leak or I'm moving on to a more reliable product.

Edited by bau250

Not sure why people are whining about *how bad* MB is because it is normally rock solid for me and the last issue I had , I cannot remember.

Don't think one bit other vendors don't have issues like this or even worse (ask Avast about quarantining a critical windows file and if you had delete not quarantine on, your windows got hosed) so relax people. Why this is a bit of a mess, MB should be gauged on how fast they fix it unlike Symantec taking over 3 days to fis an issue a few years ago,

How are they going to release an update when we can't even connect to the update or license server to do it. We'll have to download the update manually from the site? How many people are going to know to check here lol. I'm just glad I don't need a new computer. I thought it was a hardware failure until I saw the CRAZY amount of ram it was using. If you watch the service, it seems to go up in 50mb increments every SECOND.

I don't understand why ppl are starting new threads on this.  I just had to go look, and there are like 5 or 6.  Heh.  I think I'm going to call the IT guy in Hawaii missile alert center.. maybe they know how to halp MWB crunch a fix for this.  I mean, they only took 45 min to send out their " so sorry " alert.

I just saw my very first Windows 8.1 "Running Low on Memory" form. That was at about 27GB RAM used on a 32GB RAM box.

Yep, Malwarebytes Services running CPU at higher than normal and Memory counting up like a rocket launching. At 18GB and I just rebooted about 10 mins ago. 

Also - This may or may not be related, but I'll ask anyway: Has anyone else had random BSOD's on hal.dll + ntoskrnl.exe lately? (I do not want to discuss the details of that here, but just want to see if the BSOD's might be related to the MWB issue).

Workaround until fix released: Right Click MWB in Tray and Exit it. Then go into Action Center select Windows Defender for malware and AV.

Regards . . .

Untitled.gif