Real time protection turned off

I've been experiencing the same RTP popups myself for a while now, but have just figured out why they occur. So I thought it might be a good idea to share my discovery with you guys so that you don't have to be concerned about this issue. 

So here's a little experiment which you can conduct yourselves to demonstrate why this is happening and to put your minds at ease.

1. First of all you need to reconfigure Mbam to update itself every four (or more) hours instead of every hour. Then wait about three hours. This is to give Mbam time to generate another update.
  2. Next, launch the Dashboard menu and then click the "Check for updates" icon which the third one from the left in the center menu located on the right hand side. When you click that icon it should say "Downloading" and then "Applying". If it just says "Current", you need to wait a bit longer and then try again.
  3. Once the update has been applied, the usual message with a green checkmark which reads: "Awesome - You're protected" will change briefly to an red exclamation mark with the message that says that Real Time Protection has been turned off. It will only stay this way for about two or three seconds before reverting to the usual "Awesome..." message when Mbam re-enables RTP.

In this configuration, the orange popup doesn't appear presumably because Mbam is configured not to display two warnings saying tthe same thing. But if Mbam is running silently in the background, then the interval between RTP becoming disabled and re-enabled again is enough to generate the orange warning popup which everyone is seeing.

I already passed the above on to Tom Mercado at Mbam tech support by the way,so hopefully it'll speed up the patch to resolve it.

Some users may be experiencing a problem whereby RTP stays off in the Protection Settings submenu. I had this myself after installing this month's Windows 8.1 security only updates, but resolved it by installing the .NET Framework update which is available in Windows Update. This is the KB article for that update: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3205404

Hope this helps.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Digerati said:

Nick, where did you see it fixed this problem? I ask because the Release History for today's V3.05  makes no mention of real time protection issues. It seems to me that would be something particular they would mention.

I had this problem bill but the update has fixed it my end' and is now working as far as I can tell satisfactory

Installed tonight's update & noticed I still get the pop-up, looking at the full change-log it says some systems could still have the issue or words to that effect & they are looking at a longer term fix - Frankly my hopes were not high anyway but for me nothing has changed -  My system boots to full usage in about 15 seconds but SSD's are not exactly new, so Malwarebytes is still on do not start with Windows for the foreseeable future as IMHO if I can't have update every hour functioning I'll continue to use something else. Spent several hours faffing around with Malwarebytes & it's still not right (doh) 

11 minutes ago, PWT said:

Installed tonight's update & noticed I still get the pop-up, looking at the full change-log it says some systems could still have the issue or words to that effect & they are looking at a longer term fix - Frankly my hopes were not high anyway but for me nothing has changed -  My system boots to full usage in about 15 seconds but SSD's are not exactly new, so Malwarebytes is still on do not start with Windows for the foreseeable future as IMHO if I can't have update every hour functioning I'll continue to use something else. Spent several hours faffing around with Malwarebytes & it's still not right (doh) 

you have to give the team time as many bases have to be covered which include looking at any Microsoft updates that could impinge on how this new build 3.0.5 will work to the very highest standards set by the administration here

Edited by NICK ADSL UK

Thanks Nick and Devin.

14 hours ago, PWT said:

noticed I still get the pop-up,

Becky noted that some will still get the Rea-Time protection disabled noticed on reboot. I can easily live with once after a boot (since I never reboot unless some update require it). Are you saying you still get the notice several times throughout the day?

Jim...not totally.  There are still a lot of us that have the popup.  My way of fixing was to go back to 2.2.1.  And...now, my laptop, which didn't get the pop up is starting to get it at least two times a day.  They should never have released this version without thoroughly checking it.

I am seriously considering ditching 3.0.5 off two systems here. I spent 15 minutes trying to get web protection enabled on a system that was turned off all night.  I had to reboot the computer in order to get Web Protection enabled. The software also has issues enabling protection when the device is coming out of sleep mode. Sorry Malwarebytes but this software should of been cooked longer before being released to the general public. Its still a beta especially when protection issues exist.

I have the latest patch 3.05.1299 but still get constant "web protection off" & RTP layers turned off messages.

Very disappointed with this release as many of the errors appear to be just not having a wide enough soak test done.

I can alter the update check period but it immediately reverts to 14 days or 1 hour on me going out and back in to the prog, most odd.

Alas still waiting for a fix I fear.

Best

Edited by Barnaby

I have had similar issues with protection not being enabled and repeated popups upon and going to 3.0.5 did not solve it for me. Every time my computer was rebooted it would complain web protection was disabled and it was hit and miss on whether I could get it to enable. After spending 15 mins rebooting computer and trying various things I uninstalled 3.0.5 and went back to 2.x and Anti-exploit standalone. No more issues. 

I still have 3.0.5 on a laptop but that is put into sleep more rather than being turned off each night.

I get the pop-up on every reboot, although technically this is my PC quite a few others use it when I'm out or not around & having a large pop-up telling the user protection is off is less than ideal.. If others are happy with that happening that's good, to be honest I'm not & for the foreseeable future Malwarebytes will remain disabled, how long it will take before a fix only the Lord knows & he's not telling. Longer & more through beta testing I think is needed, but what do I know?

49 minutes ago, PWT said:

If others are happy with that happening that's good,

I don't think anyone is happy with it. They are just putting up with it - for now. It is important to note the warning is basically a false positive as protection is running. It is just being reported as not.

for the foreseeable future Malwarebytes will remain disabled

Rather than keeping it disabled, I recommend you go back to 2.2.1. That still provides outstanding protection and considering you have multiple users of your computer, I think it important to keep protection enabled.

2 hours ago, Digerati said:

I don't think anyone is happy with it. They are just putting up with it - for now. It is important to note the warning is basically a false positive as protection is running. It is just being reported as not.

Rather than keeping it disabled, I recommend you go back to 2.2.1. That still provides outstanding protection and considering you have multiple users of your computer, I think it important to keep protection enabled.

I have alternate protection on this PC including Zemana AM & AppGuard along with Panda AV, I've kept version 2.x on my other PC as I don't have the time to uninstall & reinstall then go back to the previous version so hanging on with that one until at least the next release. I do realise these things happen as I've done a fair amount of beta testing though mainly in the past. So i'll leave it not starting with Windows until the next patch is out. (Hope Malwarebytes don't buy AUDI out) :-) :-)

Edited by PWT

On 29/12/2016 at 9:59 AM, Digerati said:

The warning isn't a false positive on my pc's, that's for sure. At least half the time when I boot them up, the RTP is not enabled and when that happens, the only way I can enable it is to shut down Malwarebytes and restart it.

Edited by Lucht

10 minutes ago, Lucht said:

The warning isn't a false positive on my pc's, that's for sure. At least half the time when I boot them up, the RTP is not enabled and when that happens, the only way I can enable it is to shut down Malwarebytes and restart it.

With me I could not get Web Protection enabled reliably on each bootup so I reverted back to 2.2.1 and in my case the warning was not false 

34 minutes ago, Lucht said:

At least half the time when I boot them up, the RTP is not enabled

That is counter to what Malwarebytes is telling us. Their claim is real-time protection is, in reality, enabled. It is just being reported as disabled. How did you determine it really was off?

If you are correct, then I agree that is REALLY SERIOUS - especially since the faulty V3 is still being offered for download.

23 hours ago, Digerati said:

That is counter to what Malwarebytes is telling us. Their claim is real-time protection is, in reality, enabled. It is just being reported as disabled. How did you determine it really was off?

If you are correct, then I agree that is REALLY SERIOUS - especially since the faulty V3 is still being offered for download.

I determined it was off by right clicking on the system tray icon and seeing that Web Protection was saying "Off". I then opened Malwarebytes, went to "Protection" panel, where it was saying Web protection Off. I then clicked on the icon to start Web protection and 10 minutes later it was still saying "Starting". I then shut down malwarebytes and restarted it. Web Protection was still Off but I was able to then restart it manually. This happens on both of my pcs that have 3.0.5 installed and also on my wife's laptop.

Prior to upgrading to 3.0.5, I was having the usual 'false' notifications that everyone else was having but Web protection was in fact on. Since upgrading to 3.0.5..... *shrug*

Edited by Lucht

Okay. I understand and that is not good. But note that Web Protection is a different feature than real time "Malware protection" - the primary component. But still, confidence is shattered. I rolled back to 2.2.1.1043 and will remain there until all these issues are totally resolved. And for sure, I am NOT recommending anyone install the new version - something I have never done before since the product was first released in 2006. :( 

I have had many dealings with many of the developers over the years, since my days on the staff at CastleCops. I have total confidence they will get this sorted out right. So hang on.