Real time protection turned off

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi old friend. For me, I would see some of my settings change to off - but always malware protection stayed on and that's good. So it was mostly an annoyance for me to keep seeing the warnings which I could have put up with if it only happened at boot. But I was getting the warning several times a day. So I just rolled back to the old version.

I think part of the problem is users really cannot be sure which screen is right - the one reporting protection is on and active, or the one that says it is off. So again, confidence has been shattered. :(

58 minutes ago, Lucht said:

I determined it was off by right clicking on the system tray icon and seeing that Web Protection was saying "Off". I then opened Malwarebytes, went to "Protection" panel, where it was saying Web protection Off. I then clicked on the icon to start Web protection and 10 minutes later it was still saying "Starting". I then shut down malwarebytes and restarted it. Web Protection was still Off but I was able to then restart it manually. This happens on both of my pcs that have 3.0.5 installed and also on my wife's laptop.

Prior to upgrading to 3.0.5, I was having the usual 'false' notifications that everyone else was having but Web protection was in fact on. Since upgrading to 3.0.5..... *shrug*

I have one of the first ever Lifetime licenses and I'm still with Malwarebytes, which shows you how much confidence I have in them :) However, I do have to wonder if perhaps they jumped the gun on this one and perhaps V3 should have stayed in Beta for a while longer?

For me, malware realtime protection was turned off after a clean installation. I turned it on, it was stuck at starting. I then rebooted and now everything is turned on. Seems like a visual glitch where the button does not move from starting to "on". Can not say anything if the alert message will come back as i just reinstalled everything on my machine.

Edited by Tumas04

New member here.

Updated on occasion of the renewal of my Anti-Malware 2 license to Malwarebytes 3. Made the same experience with the warning about turned off real-time protection (RTP) after booting my PC. But on the dashboard the RTP was named as turned off as well and also in the protection menu the RTP was turned off.. Had always to turn it on manually in the protection menu. Then it needed from 5 mins through to 19 mins, that the RTP was realy running.

Had a contact with the Malwarebytes support about the issue. The guy of the support was very helpful but couldn't solve the issue as well. But I got from him the links (had deleted the old installing files on occasion of installing Malwarebytes 3) to reinstall my previous Anti-Malware 2 and Anti Exploit. Now all is running well as it was before.

Three interesting details about my contact with the support:

1) The guy of the support never mentioned, that the RTP issue is well known. I read about that only here in this thread.

2)The guy of the support didn't say it explicitly, but by some remarks in his anwers you could conclude, that he would prefer a deletion of Malwarebytes 3 and a reinstallation of Anti-Malware 2 together with Anti Exploit.

3) He announced a solution of the issue within of the next weeks without a firm date.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, had to revert to 2.2.1.1043 on my laptop as well.  Seems that the daily greeting "Your protection is not on" turned into almost hourly, depending on what program I was using.  I really hope they get the issue with 3.0x sorted out quickly.  Three out of three machines now back to 2.2.1

Very disappointed. updated to 3.0.5  Not getting the layer of security pop up as much, but still getting it, also getting web protection turned off a lot. For me this is unforgivable in a paid for premium product costing £40. 

I have 73 days left and will not be renewing unless all these problems are sorted.

14 minutes ago, rcw1962 said:

Very disappointed. updated to 3.0.5  Not getting the layer of security pop up as much, but still getting it, also getting web protection turned off a lot. For me this is unforgivable in a paid for premium product costing £40. 

I have 73 days left and will not be renewing unless all these problems are sorted.

Perhaps when this gets sorted out, you might ask for a license extension.  You didn't create the issue, Malwarebytes.org did.

• 3 weeks later...

I still have this issue on version 3. I do not care if it's a known issue or not. All I care is that I have paid you for a product and your product does not work properly and is not obeying the law of least surprise. I am a paying customer and I do not care about your problems. If you have an issue with my operating system then your product is not ft for purpose, how dare you charge for it! If your product does not work then stop selling it, if you have a fix then roll that fix out invisibly and silently and stop your whinging. You charge money for your product, your customers expect that product to work properly, none of us give a damn about your issues.

This is frustrating problem in v 3.05 but appears to have been fixed with 3.06 update which was a frustrating issue itself, because the install failed with a large number of files that could not be replaced or overwritten. Worse yet, the Quit Malwarbytes Menu item failed to work, until I re-booted the computer, then Quit worked, and the install succeeded.

6 minutes ago, rcw1962 said:

Why is this not auto downloaded? We should not have to find an update on a forum.

The updates are staggered. We generally release on the forums first for users who want to manually install, then over time, the updates start becoming available directly inside of Malwarebytes

Still seeing issues with 3.0.6 when a computer comes out of sleep mode. Noticed that it was flagging the systray icon and upon inspection discovered Malware protection was disabled and the definitions were out of date. This was after the computer had been in use for over 30 mins. I seen no popups warning me either was an issue only the red triangle on the systray icon on my Windows10 Pro laptop. Sliding the malware protection button to on re enabled malware protection

I also have noticed that on this computer that is regularly put to Sleep in Win10 Pro that if I get the flag notification on the Systray icon it does not go away even if the issue(s) have been fixed. I have to right mouse click select Exit MalwareBytes. This however does not shut down the app. All it does is to shutdown the service. I have to go into Windows10 Taskmanger and kill off MBAM. I can then restart the app and the erroneous indicator on the systray icon is no more.

Problem with 3.0.6 is even worse. Now I get Ransomware protection off popup and turning it on via the popup at lower right doesn't work, just keeps repeatedly popping up until I open MBAM and enable Ransomware, then the message goes away.

Windows 10 Pro X64 build 14393 + all updates.

13 hours ago, Ztruker said:

Problem with 3.0.6 is even worse.

This is really becoming sad. I was about to bite the bullet and try MB3.x again - but I think I will stick with 2.2.1.1043 even longer - until 3.1, or maybe 4.0! :(

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

This problem has been going on a long time and gets more frustrating when you wonder if your computer is at risk! After all we paid to not be at risk!

The good news is there is at least a temporary solution.

This seems to work for a few weeks, so will get you out of trouble until malwarebytes can solve it:

1. In the protection tab, scroll down to 'Startup Options' and turn off 'Enable self-protection module'.
2. Shut down malwarebytes, or re-boot your computer.
3. Turn on malwarebytes or your computer, then turn on the 'Web Protection' in the 'Real-Time Protection' section and all the other bits that may have turned off.
4. Then in the 'Startup Options' section turn the 'Enable self-protection module' back on again.

Should be good for a while.

Best regards

Chris

Edited by G2EWS