For nossirah, admin

Guest paula

Dear Sir,

From a previous answer of yours :"Malwarebytes does detect viruses but this is not where our greatest strength is . Malwarebytes covers the full spectrum of malware ..."

If MBAM does detect viruses and full spectrum of malware how come the most vehiculated ideea on this forum is that MBAM real time protection is compatible with AV real time protection?????

What hapens when both MBAM and AV will detect / quarantine the same virus?I will tell you: the computer will freeze, you have to start in SAFE mode, dissable MBAM real time protection, scan with AV, remove the virus and restart

So, I will really appreciate a honest oppinion: Does MBAM real time protection conflict with AV real time protection?

Thanks,

Paula

Dear Sir,

From a previous answer of yours :"Malwarebytes does detect viruses but this is not where our greatest strength is . Malwarebytes covers the full spectrum of malware ..."

If MBAM does detect viruses and full spectrum of malware how come the most vehiculated ideea on this forum is that MBAM real time protection is compatible with AV real time protection?????

What hapens when both MBAM and AV will detect / quarantine the same virus?I will tell you: the computer will freeze, you have to start in SAFE mode, dissable MBAM real time protection, scan with AV, remove the virus and restart

So, I will really appreciate a honest oppinion: Does MBAM real time protection conflict with AV real time protection?

Thanks,

Paula

Ask around , aside from Mcafee doing some odd stuff that caused some problems most people are problem free when it comes to conflicts .

It is interesting that you would post such blatantly incorrect information . In our testing whichever application gets to the malware first gets to block/kill it and the other never even gets to see it . Depending on how its coded sometimes we get in first , sometimes they do .

EDIT TO ADD :

BTW the majority of anti-"fill in the blank" detect multiple types of malware and the majority of malware is now some form of blended threat . Most people call just about everything a virus when in fact virtually nothing is .

@ Paula

I am one of those users that use McAfee Antivirus Enterprize Editon. My pc would lock up at boot up. This was due to Mcafee trying to block MBAM. Once I made changes to my AV to allow MBAM to run, it solved all lockups.

these are the files that need to be allowed.

Try adding the following files to the exclusions list in your anti-virus:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbam.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

We have a link to the McAFee thread, almost the same as the above

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=18093

What hapens when both MBAM and AV will detect / quarantine the same virus?
Just to be clear, have you ever actually observed this happening? The way MBAM detects a threat is very different from the way an antivirus does. An antivirus detects threats on access, meaning should you open a folder containing an infected file the antivirus will detect it and notify you/quarantine it etc. MBAM only detects a threat in realtime when it hits memory as a running process, but your antivirus will generally have detected it long before that if it's something they would both have databases for. That's why MBAM generally does not conflict with antivirus software, aside from the occasional issues with MBAM's own executables being blocked and/or locked up by antivirus softwares, which excluding/trusting the files in your antivirus and firewall usually corrects.

Another example, if you download a malicious file through your browser your antivirus scans the file as it's being downloaded and once the download completes, MBAM does not, it will only check the file if it's executed in memory, again, the antivirus gets first shot to detect it, but if it misses it because it doesn't have the threat in its databases then MBAM gets a shot at the file.

Generally if both detect the same threat at once there will be an ignore option or a disable protection option (both of these exist in MBAM's pop up when a detection is made by the protection module) so that you can let your antivirus take care of the file to avoid such conflicts.

I've never seen the issue you describe, but I'm not going to say it isn't possible because I obviously use different antivirus software than you do but it does seem that steps have been taken to avoid conflicts. The can occur between any types of security softwares, I've seen strictly anti-spyware programs conflict with antivirus, it just depends on the combination, but I've seen very few unresolvable conflicts with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Never seen this and I'm using Avast! with the resident scanner running together with MBAM's protection module running.

On the very odd occasion Avast! has found a virus nestling in Windows it was extremely quick to pounce and quarantine it without a peep from MBAM. The only exclusion I make in this module's scanner in Avast! is MBAM's quarantine folder as an in case of situation, ie to prevent possible conflict.

Never had the situation arise though as anything that I've seen MBAM determine is an infection is definitely an infection without doubt and I've dealt with it promptly allowing MBAM to remove it.

Also remember, if you do find such a conflict contact support@malwarebytes.org because you get free tech support as part of your license. They will help you troubleshoot any issues and hopefully find a resolution to the problem and if they can't resolve it for you I'm confident they'll offer you a full refund for your license of MBAM.

Hey guys -

Paula has this way of starting a ?? discussion and then sitting back to watch the defences all come flying out -

The last major post from paula set up a long to and fro from within the forum - I am not sure if this is one of the reasons for these entries, but if you have taken note it has that effect - A "fairly simple" start like this has already gotten around 10 replies - Mostly from members 'defending' the question put forward - I can think of many answers but not this time, as the answers get to take over from the question put forward -

@paula

In 2 of our systems we have the foll. security combo installed:

1) Avira Pro. + MBAM paid + SAS Pro & (Edit :Avira Premium Security Suite)

2) Avast Pro. + MBAM paid

All above have real time prot. feature activated & one of the systems is mostly used for browsing crack sites.

Till date we have not come across any incompatibilities.

@noknojon & exile (post # 12): I agree with your views.

Hi,

Thank you for yor answer;

I used AntiVir and MBAM with real time protection for more than 1 year on 2 computers and I had at least 5 situation of freezing as described in my post. So I decided to look for help on Avira forum:

"HI,

Please do not use 2 real-time protection at the same time, you can use MBAM for on demand scanner only.

Thanks for choosing Avira

Alexandru Manea

Avira GmbH "

"Hi afrinita,

I think that no moderator will recommend you to run 2 real-time protection at the same time as they conflict with each other, what explains freezing. So you have to choose.

I think you can use MBAM for on demand scanner only. Best regards / Cordialement.

Une assistance t

During scans with MBAM what you say is certainly true, but if you reference my post above I explain the difference in MBAM's realtime protection and the reason it will not scan files on access. I've not seen anyone else ever report Avira having frozen when using it with MBAM in realtime, but again, that does not mean that it can't happen. I'm not implying that your information is inaccurate or incorrect regarding the freezes you experienced, but I do know that Avira happens to be the antivirus that most of the users around here recommend over all others and there is a massive group of users who frequent this very forum that use both in realtime and none have reported any such freezes with detections. Again, this is what Malwarebytes' support is for.

Many AV companies say these things because they cannot support third party software so they recommend only their own product be used in realtime, but a freeze as you describe it would have happened with the free version of MBAM used as an on-demand scanner, not with the protection module running in MBAM, which checks and detects malware in a completely different way.

From my point of view no security tool is 100% and will detect every single threat on the web on any given day so I choose to use a layered approach to protection. This configuration is not advised by my own AV's support either, so I can understand why Avira would say what they did, but it doesn't mean they're right either, it's a cautionary statement based on the potential for conflict, not the certainty of conflicts based on MBAM specifically.

I used AntiVir and MBAM with real time protection for more than 1 year on 2 computers and I had at least 5 situation of freezing as described in my post. So I decided to look for help on Avira forum:

"HI,

Please do not use 2 real-time protection at the same time, you can use MBAM for on demand scanner only.

Thanks for choosing Avira

Alexandru Manea

Avira GmbH "

I'm pretty sure that our lead developer uses AntiVir. There are usually no conflicts. Chances are you had another factor that was exacerbating the issue.

"Hi afrinita,

I think that no moderator will recommend you to run 2 real-time protection at the same time as they conflict with each other, what explains freezing. So you have to choose.

I think you can use MBAM for on demand scanner only. Best regards / Cordialement.

Une assistance t

One of the reasons why I do not run Avira AntiVir is that they prefer to not have any other anti-malware applications active as they may cause system problems.

When I had a problem going from V8 to V9 they insisted on removing MBAM, Windows Defender and WinPatrol which I did fully knowing that would not solve the problem which it did not.

Finally after many members complained about the same problem they fixed the problem.

I'm quite happy with the Layered Protection I have.

Edit: Another reason I went with avast! was the overloaded Avira servers as exile360 indicates:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=27891

I don't have a problem getting updates from avast! and I am now using avast! V5 beta that looks very good.

Edited by YoKenny1