AdvancedSetup, can you help please?

Hi AdvacedSetup,

I want to add to "My account" keys for the product I bought retail , and I created support ticket 2317333 .

Support says they cannot do it, however I provided the keys and screenshots of keys being installed and  being active . Shouldn't be an issue to add them manually.

Thanks!

Edited by lock

• Root Admin

Hello @lock

I'm sorry, but that is correct. Currently only purchases made online at our online store by cleverbridge or Avangate can be added to the My Accounts page. They are working on allowing purchases made from other vendors or retail to be added but when that will be ready is unknown at this time.

We can't add them manually either. It is not linked to anything to work. If you have any issues with an account not supported there, you would need to contact our Support for assistance.

Thank you

Ron

Edited by AdvancedSetup
added additinonal information

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @lock

I'm sorry, but that is correct. Currently only purchases made online at our online store by cleverbridge or Avangate can be added to the My Accounts page. They are working on allowing purchases made from other vendors or retail to be added but when that will be ready is unknown at this time.

We can't add them manually either. It is not linked to anything to work. If you have any issues with an account not supported there, you would need to contact our Support for assistance.

Thank you

Ron

Thank you for your answer! One user suggested that this would be possible, see here:

What I want to avoid is a situation , few years from now, when one of my licenses will transform from "lifetime" to "free" and I will be asked to provide proof of purchase...

• Administrators

Hi @lock,

Like AdvancedSetup mentioned above:

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Currently only purchases made online at our online store by cleverbridge or Avangate can be added to the My Accounts page.

You mentioned in your original post that the key you were hoping to add was purchased at a retail store.

Keys purchased not from our eCommerce partners cannot be added to the My Account page.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

17 minutes ago, celee said:

Keys purchased not from our eCommerce partners cannot be added to the My Account page.

Thanks, but why exactly "Keys purchased not from our eCommerce partners cannot be added to the My Account page"  ? From a technical point of view shouldn't be very complicated.

Users with old "life time" keys are supposed to keep them on paper???

Actually it is complicated.  When you purchase a subscription through Cleverbridge or Avangate, you are buying one or more and receiving keys for each of them directly.  They are both tied in to Malwarebytes directly courtesy of their partnership with us.  Other vendors receive Malwarebytes in a different manner.  They either get a large number of keys provided to them and sell them (with a download) one at a time, or sell Malwarebytes in a box.  In that case, they purchase a large number of boxes and sell them one at a time.  In either of these last two scenarios, we can't know which one (of many) would get sold to any individual buyer, and therein lies the problem.

9 hours ago, gonzo said:

Actually it is complicated..... we can't know which one (of many) would get sold to any individual buyer, and therein lies the problem.

I (the "individual buyer")  provided the lifetime keys bought and a screenshot of the keys installed and valid/ working, as well as the email associated with "My account"

All it takes is someone from Malwarebytes to manually introduce the keys into my account.

I do not understand where is the complication .

10 hours ago, mightaswell said:

Maybe the issue @lock is one of veracity and robust proof of purchase linked to an email account.  Having a screen shot of keys installed and providing an email may not provide MAlwarebytes with the kind of linkage they require for the account.  

What I really believe is MBAM wants somehow to get rid of lifetime licenses; if is registered in your account will be for life. If is on a piece of paper maybe you will loose it or , I a few years the license will transform in "free" and you will be asked to provide "proof of purchase" (for something you bought 5 years ago, when "life time" was the norm).

Registration into account should be done from inside of already activated MBAM, and problem would be solved.

But there is no desire for that. 

18 minutes ago, lock said:

What I really believe is MBAM wants somehow to get rid of lifetime licenses; if is registered in your account will be for life. If is on a piece of paper maybe you will loose it or , I a few years the license will transform in "free" and you will be asked to provide "proof of purchase" (for something you bought 5 years ago, when "life time" was the norm).

Registration into account should be done from inside of already activated MBAM, and problem would be solved.

But there is no desire for that. 

I agree 100%. As I have a lifetime license as well and always thought the same as you mentioned.

25 minutes ago, lock said:

What I really believe is MBAM wants somehow to get rid of lifetime licenses; if is registered in your account will be for life.

I find that hard to believe.  They did do away with lifetime licenses, that's why you can not by them any longer.  That is how they did away with them.  If you own a lifetime license and have a valid KEY they will honor it for life just as they said.  As far as adding it to the My Account page, well I can not comment on that as I do not work for Malwarebytes and do not know how they are handling it.  It does sound easy to do however we don't know what backend they are running.  They have mentioned it someplace on the forum that they were working on a way to do it....

• Root Admin

Purchase online with us verifies proof of purchase electronically. Having a license does not verify proof of purchase. We have black listed millions of illegal licenses. There is no easy way to automate proof of purchase from the thousands of various places our product has been sold in the past. It's been a few years since the last lifetime license was sold and many users and businesses don't have documentation and many places were selling illegal licenses. Some sold the same license to hundreds of different users, so the logistics are not as easy as you think. As we have said from the beginning, keep a copy of your proof of purchase and if you have an issue activating, we'll correct it, but you'll need to open a support ticket for licensing issues.

Thank you

4 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

As we have said from the beginning, keep a copy of your proof of purchase

This is the problem, many users who bought the "life time" licenses did not keep the "proof of purchase" because at that time MBAM sold ONLY lifetime licenses , so was no confusion.

This happened many years ago; I doubt you keep "proof of purchase" for something which was in the range of $20 ,for all your life.

The process is easier than you think (see ESET) .

When you input your license, MBAM should ask for creation of "My account" with full info. If the license is "validated", automatically should be included in "My account".

Just hopping that somehow in time, the user wouldn't be able to provide "proof of purchase"  and the license will be canceled , doesn't seem to be ethical.

Edited by lock

• Root Admin

You would be surprised. I have receipts for most items I've purchased even from 20 years ago but that's me, I'm pretty practical and technical about most things. I'm going to close this topic though as it's run it's course and we have explained the issue. Once it is ready we will post and let users know.

Thank you