Need a new Anti-Virus

thurs

Online armor aint reccomended for an average user.

Since there are alot of pop-ups and things, its more like for a advanced user.

could you please explain why online armor is not for an average user???

comodo gives pop-ups also!!

they both have HIPS installed.

whats good for comodo is also good for online armor.

regards.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They both have popups and require a user to read them before decisions are made. The only firewall that requires almost no input is Windows Firewall. Every firewall requires user interaction that's their job. No firewall exists other then a hardware firewall that doesn't require some sort of interaction.:)

could you please explain why online armor is not for an average user???

comodo gives pop-ups also!!

they both have HIPS installed.

whats good for comodo is also good for online armor.

regards.

because when you try to uninstall it, it does not remove everything automatically. i still have some residue due to this

I used AVG IS last year and I liked it other than the fact that it slowed down my machine pretty good, something that I didn't fully realized until AFTER I'd uninstalled it :)

My reason for saying this though, is that the firewall was pretty easy to use, I really liked it ;) Told me what the program was that was trying to access the internet. Nice and simple. No (confusing to me) HIPS in that firewall.

because when you try to uninstall it, it does not remove everything automatically. i still have some residue due to this

well you get leftovers will the majority of software not just online armor.

i recommend revo un-installer.

regards.

Grab a copy of avast! FREE....stay the hell away from Comode

Online Armor is a sweet program and very easy to use

once you have gotten used to it, 98% of all firewalls have a pop-up

or two some have more than others..;)

why stay away from comodo?

@Buttons

Just a question about the issue with MSE. Did you by any chance have MSE set to "Scan Removable Drives" prior to the issue you said it had with the flash drive?

By default MSE is not set to do that(Should BE) and has to be done by the user.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking. Last time I used it was before doing all this sample collections. Figured it would be best to keep at a steady work pace. :)

well you get leftovers will the majority of software not just online armor.

i recommend revo un-installer.

regards.

Your best to use the built in uninstaller as it is designed to know where the programs install there bits, iv found that revo doesn't clean up the leftovers any better than the built in version.

Deleting online armor require's two reboot's and then all left overs will be gone.

I have used many different AV products. The free trial periods with my computers from Norton and Symantic. I have used free AVG for years and then AVG Pro for about 8 months but had problems with it causing crashes on my Outlook 2007 due to the email plugin. I have tried Comodo and it has a great firewall and Defense + product but on all the tests I have seen the AV part falls short. That's just what I have seen. I went with Avast 5 Pro and I'll tell you what.

1) it doesn't bog my system down like Norton and AVG did. Lighter on resources

2) it always tests very consistant on AV Comparables. last test I saw shows +95 percent detection

3) it has very few false positives which is something important to me. The products that seem to have higher detection ratings also seemed to have much higher false positives.

4) nice UI and is easy to configure and use but still has many places, tools you can tinker for advanced users, good for beginners and pro's alike.

5) Awesome Avast Forum

I combine Avast Pro 5.0 with Online Armor Firewall and use Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpuware as secondary on demand scanners to stay virus and malware free. So far it's been a very good combination.

Hi everyone,

I use to use Norton anti virus, but lately I found it was slowing the PC too much. I found it too demandin. Then I changed over to AVG and found it very good. It hasn't failed me yet except for a couple of malmares

Hi twainy -

The only response to that is , it has failed you ---

As Thurs posted this item 2 days ago and has not yet surfaced again , I wonder if they are 'fishing' or looking -

All the usual items have been posted (as per normal) mine are MSE on my XP SP3 , and Avira AntiVir on my Windows 7 , so now I think all free and paid versions of all the regular items are listed -

Thank You -

I combine Avast Pro 5.0 with Online Armor Firewall and use Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpuware as secondary on demand scanners to stay virus and malware free. So far it's been a very good combination.

Glad it works for ya. Just for your info, tests are not reliable. The majority of these testers fail to test properly and are unrealistic. I would not rely on these for decision making. They are certainly something to avoid.

Glad it works for ya. Just for your info, tests are not reliable. The majority of these testers fail to test properly and are unrealistic. I would not rely on these for decision making. They are certainly something to avoid.

which tests?

the you-tube 10 link tests?

regards

Ones from organisations like av comparatives, malware research group etc. They collect malware ahead of time which maybe obsolete from the database leaving unfair and unrealistic results. Only malware within the last 7 days are effective as those are likely to be spreading. Most collect them several weeks ahead.

I have used many different AV products. The free trial periods with my computers from Norton and Symantic. I have used free AVG for years and then AVG Pro for about 8 months but had problems with it causing crashes on my Outlook 2007 due to the email plugin. I have tried Comodo and it has a great firewall and Defense + product but on all the tests I have seen the AV part falls short. That's just what I have seen. I went with Avast 5 Pro and I'll tell you what.

1) it doesn't bog my system down like Norton and AVG did. Lighter on resources

2) it always tests very consistant on AV Comparables. last test I saw shows +95 percent detection

3) it has very few false positives which is something important to me. The products that seem to have higher detection ratings also seemed to have much higher false positives.

4) nice UI and is easy to configure and use but still has many places, tools you can tinker for advanced users, good for beginners and pro's alike.

5) Awesome Avast Forum

hi

i like your set-up im impressed.

avast with online armor that is solid protection.

My .02 I like Avast myself and have used it for quite some time but I have recently started running Avira and I think I am going to make a permanent switch to Avira. The GUI on Avast is nice but I like how Avira is working more right now.

More of the same My A/V is better than your A/V - 3 pages is a bit much of this when it comes up almost every week - ;)

Agreed, and did anyone happen to notice that the user that created this topic has not posted back even once? They created an account, created this topic, providing the first post (obviously) and then left and have not returned and now there are opinions and arguments and discussions about all these different AV's again.

Please be cautious, eventually threads like this will start getting closed on sight if it happens too frequently as it's really not very helpful.