AVAST instup.dll detected as a Trojan.Dropper

Davebis

MB is alerting and quarantining the following file: C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\setup\instup.dll - this is when Avast has updated and needs a reboot of the device.

I have checked this file on ViruTotal and it has not been found to be malicious: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/6cffbda20caaebe365dcbb9d4d104744cad8eac9d17e7f58e4cb21357c92ccd4/detection

I do not believe this has been fixed.  I have the Malwarebytes database updated to version v2021.04.20.04 and Malwarebytes continues to show C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\setup\instup.dll as quarantined.  I am unable to update the Avast application or its virus definitions.  When I go into the Quarantine display it lists the Avast instup.dll four times with "Trojan.Dropper" shown in the "Vendor" column.  If I select 'Restore All' or highlight any of the four listings of instup.dll and press 'Restore,' nothing happens and the items remain in the quarantine display.  Please advise.

Just tried updating and then doing a right-click context menu custom scan with Malwarebytes of the C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\setup directory (after removing the file exception from malwarebytes) and it came back clean - so looks like the update fixed it.  Thanks!

I still need some help at this point.  I see the post from cli that a fix has been distributed and the response from mbressman that the fix worked.  I have updated the Malwarebytes database to  version v2021.04.21.01 but still have Avast instup.dll file showing four times in the Malwarebytes Quarantine listing.  Pressing Restore All' or highlighting any of the four listings of instup.dll and pressing 'Restore' still does not remove any of them from the Quarantine listing.  I tried to locate instup.dll in the Windows Explorer in the location shown in the Malwarebytes quarantine listing to do a right-click menu scan of it, but do not see the file shown in the Windows Explorer display.  I am still unable to update the Avast software or its virus definitions.  How can this be fixed? 

1 hour ago, JimA1 said:

Pressing Restore All' or highlighting any of the four listings of instup.dll and pressing 'Restore' still does not remove any of them from the Quarantine listing. 

Please restart the computer before you ever try to UN quarantine an item.

5 hours ago, Porthos said:

Please restart the computer before you ever try to UN quarantine an item.

Porthos, thanks for your response and for the tip. 

I have restarted the computer and am still unable to remove the Avast instup.dll file from the quarantine list.  Would appreciate it if someone could tell me what else i can do to remove the instup.dll from quarantine and regain the ability to update the Avast application and its virus definitions.

• Root Admin

Hello @JimA1

Let us get some logs please.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you