Slow computer

tallywacker

Hi, I have used this forum previouly to remove a Malware infection from my computer. Since the removal my computer has been a little on the slow side, particularly on start up and when on the net.

Can anyone suggest a cure for this? I have ran a scan and I have no Malware infections and other than the computer being (frustratingly) slow it is running fine.

Please help.

Thanks

HI! I've seen you have been in the HJK forum a few times! Is your AV still ESET? regards....

EDIT: Please exclude the following files from your antivirus (if using any firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall, exclude them from it as well):

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

please post back & let us know if this helped....

HI! I've seen you have been in the HJK forum a few times! Is your AV still ESET? regards....

EDIT: Please exclude the following files from your antivirus (if using any firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall, exclude them from it as well):

Hi Yardbird. Please could you let me know how to carry out your instructions above. I am running windows Xp and AVG antivirus.

Please explain what you mean by 'Is your AV still ESET?'

Thanks

I'm sorry I thought you had another AV program, Can you configure your AVG below: The bold letters are the Malwarebytes files to be trusted any questions please post back...

Go to AVG, then add our files to the exclusion list:

Right-click the AVG icon in the system tray.

On the shortcut menu select Launch Control Center.

Click the 'Tools' tab, select Advanced settings...'

Scroll down or select 'Exceptions'

Click 'Add List' and copy and paste the following list of files:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbam.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

Click OK 3 times.

Reboot your PC.

XP users will find this link helpful for speeding up a slow computer:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/northrup_restoreperf.mspx

@ srtools1980y

Your http links are not coming up as direct links - Could this be because you use 'bold' text for them ??? :D

Try to list them in normal type and see if there is any change - I have followed some, but I needed to retype them -

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice, I have done several thing including the instructions from yardbird (thanks) deafragmented the CDrive and used the built in XP disc cleanup.

It is now running a little faster but appears to take an age to the internet browser (i am using mozilla)

Any ideas.

Thanks

Martin

Just general info:

After installing Avast 4.8 pro (the new ver. released some days back) both browsers (IE & Firefox) are taking about 15 to 20 secs. to open google/yahoo homepage.

Before that when I had Avira Pre. Sec. Suite, I did'nt find any appreciable slowdown.

When I contacted the Avast reseller he told it's for your good it does a scan before opening & he pointed the rotating avast icon ball in the systray!

I believe there is a bug in Firefox that is making it load super slowly on some computers...

Firefox 3.5 loads slowly

Firefox 3.5 fiasco

Wow, thank you swagger! I looked at the links and cleaned out the cashes, history, and temp files as recommended. Firefox (which has been slow to start) now fires right up. It's strange that Firefox is reading a bunch of IE junk before it starts up. All I ever do with IE is download MS patches.

I use

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.

Download then install and run it:

CCleaner v2.24.1010 - Slim

- No Toolbar

http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds

Additional application detection with winapp2.ini:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showto...;hl=winapp2.ini

I was critical of the Wipe Free Space function and the lack of IE8 support when IE8 first came out which they still have not fixed in Vista and Windows 7 in that if the index.dat files are chosen to be cleaned then all automatic logon information is lost and the Cookies\Index.dat can not be Excluded because of permission issues.

I seem to remember quite a few complaints about BSODs with Wipe Free Space on the forum but I never bothered to find out if it was ever fixed.

The option to overwite deleted files with Secure file deletion can lead to problems as well.