Disables Internet

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

We need to get information from this machine in order to have the proper detail to help you forward.

I've tried reinstalling MWB just so I can get the information youy require and I keep getting an enigmatic "An error occured" dialog after getting about 10% into the progress bar.  This happened even after a reboot.

I am having the same issue.  It is like it is disabling my network card but the card is enabled....I just can't connect to my network and I am unable to connect to the internet.  I thought it was my Ethernet card and so I removed it and went back to the onboard LAN.  I also uninstalled my virus protection (Vipre Endpoint) and I uninstalled the 4.0 Malwarebytes.  After a few days, I reinstalled my network card and it worked.  I still had not installed virus protection or Malwarebytes.  

This morning, I installed Malwarebytes and within 10-15 minutes the same thing happened...no network and internet connection.  Later in the day,  a client of mine who has Malwarebytes installed on his workstation reported the same thing was happening to his workstation.  I had him restart (because otherwise it won't install) and then uninstall the Malwarebytes.  No problem since. 

Sure hope this gets fixed because I have about 20 clients or more with this installed on their workstation. 

On 1/20/2020 at 5:15 PM, Tulex said:

I was unaware of the Beta option. I tried it, nothing changed. 

Get a new set of logs from the support tool for the DEV's and then You can go back to 3.8.3 until the next release.

You may wish to revert back to the 3.8.3 version while we continue to analyze what is causing this issue.

Use the support tool  to uninstall and after the restart click NO when it asks to install the current version.

The current KB articles will help you to set version 3.x from updating to 4.x for now

Constant upgrade notifications in Malwarebytes for Windows v3

Turn off upgrade notifications in Malwarebytes for Windows v3

MB3.x download link This is 3.8.3
https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3-windows-legacy

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated links

On 1/20/2020 at 11:16 PM, Tovrin said:

Attached are the logs.

Thanks for the logs.

You may wish to revert back to the 3.8.3 version while we continue to analyze what is causing this issue.

Use the support tool  to uninstall and after the restart click NO when it asks to install the current version.

The current KB articles will help you to set version 3.x from updating to 4.x for now

Constant upgrade notifications in Malwarebytes for Windows v3

Turn off upgrade notifications in Malwarebytes for Windows v3

MB3.x download link This is 3.8.3
https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3-windows-legacy

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated links

I am oscillating between livid and elated at the moment. Thank you @Tulex for starting this thread. 

Since last Wednesday I have suffered these symptoms. Despite many many iterations through different things it was not until this morning that I realised that MWB was to blame. In my case Chrome and anything that uses Chrome will hang and probably fail to die when killed (sometimes you get lucky if you use something like sysinternals pskill to kill the child processes etc). An particularly annoying example is the gyazo screen capture program which posts to the cloud, whne I trigger a screen capture it covers the entire screen in a white window and promptly hangs, it is thereafter impossible to bring anything (even task manager) on top of that window and you have to restart (luckily task bar still works) 

One of the more curious symptoms in my case was that powershell would hang. but only if it was started from the explorer bar, if started manually from with a command prompt it would be fine.

I bought a new SSD and cloned my C drive to that (to eliminate a remote possibility that the drive was failing and giving intermittent errors). This was great for a while (in hindsight because I had disabled MWB for the cloning) but then it went downhill. So last night I wiped the drive and reinstalled. 

On a clean windows 10 1809 install, I installed Chrome and Pidgin.im, gyazo and the Firestorm viewer. Everything was fine, but the new install had lost my old OEM windows key and I was faced with having to buy a new one. A quick google led me to a keyfinder tool, but not trusting it I decided to grab MWB before going any further. I installed and activated MWB, almost immediately Chrome stopped working. I think existing windows were fine but subsequent ones refused to appear.

I immediately tried to disable the  real time protections and whether by coincidence or not as I did so Chrome popped up a "chrome_elf.dll not found" error. 

Then I found this thread, hopefully I can roll back to my old SSD and get back my license, I'll be 120 

Just now, Beq said:

Then I found this thread, hopefully I can roll back to my old SSD and get back my license, I'll be 120 

fat fingered....I'll be 120 quid down for the SSD but that's better than the 2 grand I thought I was about to spend on replacing a dying machine!!

I will take a look at the beta and see if that changes anything for me given I have so few apps installed.

Another symptom possibly worthy of note. 

Once the bug is triggered, so once you have one process "stuck", the windows start menu will fail to pop up properly (it often flickers up briefly) even if it does stay the "search as you  type" functionality is broken (presumably as it uses whatever web pathway is blocked)

22 minutes ago, Beq said:

Another symptom possibly worthy of note. 

Once the bug is triggered, so once you have one process "stuck", the windows start menu will fail to pop up properly (it often flickers up briefly) even if it does stay the "search as you  type" functionality is broken (presumably as it uses whatever web pathway is blocked)

That makes sense since much of the core of the search functionality in Windows 10 is based on the web.  It queries Bing whenever a search is performed.

54 minutes ago, Beq said:

On a clean windows 10 1809 install, but the new install had lost my old OEM windows key and I was faced with having to buy a new one.

Once Win 10 is installed once you never need to enter a key when doing a clean install!  It's embed in the uefi.  Just select "i don't have a key" if it prompts for one.  It'll activate as soon as there is an internet connection.

Thank you for starting this topic,

I can add more info I've sent the following to the support desk and have been assigned a ticket but haven't had an update since.

I can tell you the issue still exists in the latest beta version and for now (yes believe it or not) i'm turning Start Malware bytes with windows off and quit malwarebytes if it does load. Good Luck all.

Since early in January 2020 following an update to Malwarebytes I've been troubleshooting network connectivity issues,

With Malwarebytes unloaded I have no issues with swapping from one wifi network to another, I've not done any testing switching from WIFI to LAN - yet! I have seen a number of similar reports in the support forum and wanted to share my experiences :-

The problem I have been having is disruption with WIFI connectivity swapping to different networks where the WIFI card is effectively disable and trying to reboot the computer produces a BSOD of "Driver Power State Failure".

With Malwarebytes unloaded no issues are present.
With Malwarebytes loaded and all protection engines OFF results are no issues,
With Malware Protection, Ransomware Protection and Exploit Protection ON - no issues.
With all Protection enabled - the problems exists
With just Web Protection and Exploit Protection ON - I cannot swap from one WIFI network to another without having to shutdown and restart the computer, unloading Malwarebytes will not allow the adaptor to be used.

Running Windows Network Diagnostics results with "No issues found" but looking into the log further gives :-
Detailed root cause:
The wireless network is on denied list (Administrative via Group Policy)

Even thou it's a personal laptop not connected to a domain or workgroup - there is NO Group or Security Policy being applied from Windows.

I hope this helps with your troubleshooting and can provide more information and test if required.

Thanks for your time,
Andrew

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue

I can tell you the issue still exists in the latest beta version

For me latest beta solved the problem.
Should be mentioned that I never experienced the BSOD and I'm not using wifi but ethernet.
I had the adapter block (couldn't connect to internet or LAN) until I 
A) disabled web-protection
or
B) accepted beta-releases and updated to latest

A or B solved my problem. Went with B, as I don't want to disable a key feature

I am glad I am not the only one and I am glad I did not replace my motherboard.

It happens to me too, brand new Jan 2020 computer with AMD CPU,  ASUS Prime TRX40-Pro Motherboard, Windows 10, all legit software. First I thought it was power management and disabled it. Then I thought NIC drivers were corrupted and re-applied them. Upgraded BIOS firmware, drivers, everything. The problem is that the computer does not even reboot when the problem happens, when I try to logoff/reboot it spins "Rebooting..." for ~5 minutes and eventually crashes into windows error reporting blue screen. I uninstalled MB and so far no problems. I will re-install to check netsh winsock reset command that found on some forums.

MB team, if resolved please notify this thread.