Disables Internet

I have an issue that under a certain combination of running programs, Malwarebytes kills my internet. This is on a new PC build. I never had this issue with my previous PC running the same combination of programs, but then, I built the new one because I hadn't been able to update windows 10 for over a year.

I run NordVPN, Malwarebytes Premium, windows antivirus, and a torrent client. IF I don't have Malwarebytes running, I can load NordVPN and the torrent client and close them as many times as I want, in any order. If I run Malwarebytes, I can connect and disconnect to the VPN as many times as I want, no issue. BUT, once I run the torrent client and exit it, if I try to run either the torrent client again or connect to the VPN, it kills my network adapter. At first this was via wifi, so I connected ethernet and disabled the wifi adapter. Same thing. I tied different torrent clients, some with no torrents even, same issue. I've updated all drivers that I can think of, scanned with multiple antivirus programs. I tried turning off all antivirus except Malwarebytes, same thing. I tried adding both the apps and the files and the folders for NordVPN and the torrent clients to the allow list, same thing.

When I say it kills my network adapter, it still shows it's there, doesn't say disconnected. But I can't disconnect it. The only way to get it working again is to restart. If I try to soft restart my PC, it just hangs, I have to hard restart.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column

mbst_get_started.jpg

7. Click the Gather Logs button

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be found on your Desktop. Click OK

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Hi @Tulex,

Thank you for the report. We're aware of the Web Protection component causing issues with loss of connectivity in some scenarios and are currently investigating further.

To assist our investigation, please carry out the "technical issue" instructions in the post above and attach the generated file.

BUT, once I run the torrent client and exit it, if I try to run either the torrent client again or connect to the VPN, it kills my network adapter.

Are you doing anything else with the torrent client aside from launching the program and exiting it?
Does the issue consistently occur for you in this scenario or is it sporadic?

We're looking for a method to reliably reproduce this behaviour, so any further details on the specific actions you're taking will be of great help.

Thank you for the quick reply.

This repeats every time. It will happen even if I just enter and leave, with any torrent client I tried (qbittorrent, BiglyBT, Utorrent (which Malwarebytes saw as a problem.),  with or without torrents in it.

I will perform the above instructions once I am home from work.

OMG!  I'm glad I'm not the only one. 

This only started happening over hte last few days.  I've spent my entire weekend rebuilding and resetting my VM (fresh installs of all software each time) and the thing I've finally narrowed it down to is Malwarebytes.  If it's not installed, everything runs.  No more disconnecting from the network.

I haven't tried installing MWB and just turning off Web Protection.  That could be the next step, but it's late now.  I'll try it tomorrow.

Finally I found this topic!

This has been annoying me so much the last week or so.
Startet about a week ago - I experience the network adapter "dies" (have to reboot to get internet access back).

Don't know if this is any help for devs to investigate, but in my case it only happens if PC if left idle.
I can work a whole day without problems, as long as I touch mouse or keyboard. Network traffic has nothing to do with it. Tried leaving a big download running and then left my PC - still disconnected and had to reboot.
As soon as I leave my desk for more than 2-3 minutes, the adapter "dies" and I have to reboot.

I even bought a new PCIe network adapter and tried using that instead of the onboard one on my motherboard. Didn't change anything.

Spend an entire weekend narrowing this down and finally found out that malwarebytes (premium) seems to be the culprit here :(
Been using it for years without any problems, but if this isn't solved, I'll stop using it.

For now, I'll try to disabled the "web protection" feature and see if that helps.

Please get back to us on this matter!

Kind regards

1 hour ago, HMann said:

Please get back to us on this matter!

We need to get information from this machine in order to have the proper detail to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support xxx.xx.exe to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

We're aware of the Web Protection component causing issues with loss of connectivity in some scenarios and are currently investigating further

If you already are aware that your software has a bug causing loss of connectivity and are investigating it, do you still need logs?

I have now disabled the web-protection feature of your software and I don't get the disconnects when I leave the computer idle anymore.

Do you need logs with or withour web-protection feature enabled?

Similar issues here!  Started on a clients machine last week.  Then one more a few days later.  Then mine a few days ago.  Network adapter in most cases looked fine till you tried to uninstall/rollback etc. In all cases it would hang on reboot and eventually do a driver power state BSOD.   After that generally the network adapter was working again but only temporally.  As mentioned it did seem to be when idle that it would disconnect.  The only common thing among the 3 machine is MBAM.  I turned off all teal time protection for now.  I do not have access to the clients machines but here are the logs from mine. 

mbst-grab-results.zip

3 minutes ago, Tulex said:

My first attempt  was turning off just real time protection, that fixed the issue.

There are 4 components of the real time protection. They can be disabled independently. Start with web protection off only.

Edited by Porthos

No Avast.  They use Bitdefender as well with all proper exclusions set.  I only use MBAM and defender.  Since v4 I let MBAM take over and disable defender.

I noticed Avast listed in my FRST results and I have NEVER had Avast installed!  My system was clean installed in June of 2019 and nothing but MBAM has been installed.  I do have Ccleaner pro installed which is now owned by Avast so maybe that has something to do with it.  Or perhaps when I installed Ccleaner after the clean install it bundled it.  If so I would have promptly removed as I find it be the worst a/v out there!

35 minutes ago, gotogordon said:

I find it be the worst a/v out there!

Amen.

36 minutes ago, gotogordon said:

Since v4 I let MBAM take over and disable defender.

I would leave Defender on for maximum protection.

37 minutes ago, gotogordon said:

Ccleaner pro installed

I personally stopped using it after Avast acquired them, Too invasive. It is now as screwed up as Avast and AVG.

Have you enabled the BETA updates and tried to see if the issues remain?

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Have you enabled the BETA updates and tried to see if the issues remain?

Too much work to do to test/troubleshoot today!

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I would leave Defender on for maximum protection.

What I meant was MBAM now seems to disable it when you "register mbam in windows security".  Do you not recommend that setting?

Malwarebytes doesn't disable Defender; it actually can't; Windows Defender disables itself when any other application registers as virus protection in the latest version of Windows by design.  If you wish to run the two programs together, you need to disable the option for Malwarebytes to register in the Windows Action Center/Security Center, otherwise Windows Defender will disable itself.