• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, aussiemoonlight said:

sorry , i only saw your message now.  I meant with the browsers (Chrome and Edge) not being used (turned off)

So with web protection OFF in Malwarebytes you are still having issues?

My clients are wary of installing Malwarebytes at this point, so I am downloading the software and doing testing in my home office.

Hate not having them on Malwarebytes, but since this is a home business they need connections.  

Once I test I will then install it.  

Thanks for all the info you have posted here. It really helped. 

everything is working fine now with:

the "Always register  Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center " button turned off;

the web protection turned on;

and the last installed updates are MB 4.0.4.49 - Update package version 1.0.18838  - Component package version 1.0.810

many thanks for your help

• 4 months later...

Hi

I started having this problem this week after I updated to Windows 10 version 2004 (10941.329) on one of my PCs

I have Avast and MalwareBytes installed on two laptops and a MediaPC, and on one of my laptops I suddenly could not connect to the internet at all, although my home network connections were fine. I also noticed the Avast Firewall had failed to start properly, and the Avast application hung if I tried to start it. I figured there it must be AV software incompatibility and turned off all the first the Fire Wall and Core Shield protection in Avast, and then Real Time protection in Malware. I then turned things on one at a time. I turned all the Avast protection back on first and everything worked so I left Malware bytes with real time protection off, no more problems.

Another symptom on this machine was very slow boot times, again this turned out to be MalwareBytes making a mountain out of doing its startup scan (~10 mins). This has also stopped being a problem.

I suspect the fact it is machine specific (i.e. three machines with the same AV configuration, only one has issues) that it is maybe due to changes to the startup sequences in Windows 10 version 2004, the other machines are both running version 1909 (build 18363.900) and don't have this issue.

Hi @Jerriais  

Regret to learn of your trouble.   Not all machines have the same identical set of configurations.   In addition, the complement of other security apps   ( like Avast in your case)  adds additional layer of difference.

This particular topic is way old, plus,  has other folks inter-mixed.

I would like to see your case split off to your own Topic

and

would very much like a set of diagnostic reports from your "problem pc".

I can guide you going forward.

Please run the Support tool report and attach the ZIP  file here for review.   It would help us to help you.  

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023453-Upload-Malwarebytes-Support-Tool-logs-offline

Hello  @Jerriais    @aussiemoonlight    & all others who have had issues  & who do not now have Malwarebytes Component Package 1.0.955     ( which as of June 16 is now the released Component  package)

I believe from what I have seen, and from having helped others, that you would do well by doing a Clean-reinstall of the Malwarebytes for Windows   (  CU  1.0.955)

and you would then have all real-time protections.

Sincerely.

Hi Maurice

I have just upgraded a second machine (also an MSI but this is an older GL62, it was running perfectly before the upgrade) to Windows 10 version 2004. It has the same AV setup, Avast Premium internet security and Malware Bytes premium. I saw there was a June update for Malware Bytes so I applied this before the upgrade (also applied it to the other MSI).

The result was exactly as on the first machine (the MSI GL63). It booted up (slowly) and as before there was local area network access but no internet access at all. As with the first machine, I have resolved the problem by disabling all Malware Bytes real time protection. After doing so the machine boots up fine with no internet access problems at all, just like it did before Windows 10 v2004.

I have one more machine to upgrade, a home-built Media PC based on an Asus motherboard. Same AV setup. So the third time will be the clincher. It is a real pity as I used to trust MalwareBytes over Avast, but it looks like they have really screwed it up with Windows 10 v2004. I will  have to see what updates come through before my next subscription renewal.

I did have a read through the known bugs

Sorry but I am extremely cautious about sending you all the system details of my machines having had a read through the log files the MB tool generates. They pretty much detail everything about the machines.

Regards

David

6 minutes ago, Jerriais said:

Sorry but I am extremely cautious about sending you all the system details of my machines having had a read through the log files the MB tool generates.

Those logs can only be accessed by authorized members here.

8 minutes ago, Jerriais said:

They pretty much detail everything about the machines.

That is the point of the logs since we are not sitting in front of it.

Hello David.

A clean re-install using the Support tool is what I suggest.   And as far as reports, if you are inclined, you can send them to me by personal message.

It is just not clear from this info what exact Version &  Component package your machine (s) have.

Further it helps to know if the machines ever had at any point other brand-named third-party antivirus.

Further, Avast or AVG can introduce / bundle extra add ons.  

But as to the loss of WIFI connectivity, I believe that is a Windows issue.

Do you know how to do that ?   It is best to first just do a Gather logs  to collect a report for review.   Dont rush.   and only do one machine.

and if something crops up,  just Gather a report  and ask for help here, relaying relevant detail.

Okay

So use the support tool advanced 'Clean' option to remove Malware bytes, machine rebooted, (quickly checked the internet access was fine) chose the option to reinstall the latest version of MalwareBytes. Successfully re-installed and it applied my licence automatically (nice touch, although I notice the backup of the licence wasn't on the desktop where it said it would be).

Restarted Windows...

Took an age to come up, nothing would open for about 90 seconds after logging in. No internet access...

Waited a bit, tried Spotify, Chrome... nothing.

Turning off all the four MalwareBytes real-time protection (watching those little four circles go round and round)...

Restart Windows...

And we're back to full connectivity... 

At least I see I am not alone having this problem.

So a clean install is not the solution. The product itself is broken. I'm not going to bother re-installing on the other laptop.

Regards

David

Please do run the Gather logs report for review.

I would like to help you, that is the reason behind the report.   It only takes a few minutes to run the report tool.   You have the tool;  so you wil not need to re-download.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023453-Upload-Malwarebytes-Support-Tool-logs-offline

The other honest suggestion I have is to have patience.  Let's not be hasty about drawing fast conclusions.

• 3 months later...

I have just encountered this issue myself. I upgraded my install from free to premium and when real-time "Web Protection" is enabled it causes Chrome and the new Chromium Edge to stop loading web-pages. Curiously, Brave browser (which is also chromium based) seems to work without issue with web protection enabled. This is occurring on multiple PCs in my home.

I am also running Sophos AV on both of these computers.

It's disappointing as the computers are often used by my kids and web protection seems like a crucial piece of my security puzzle for them.

13 minutes ago, zypher said:

am also running Sophos AV on both of these computers.

Please  refer to this support article which lists several known applications which conflict with the Web Protection in Malwarebytes currently, which includes Sophos anti-virus products

13 minutes ago, zypher said:

I am also running Sophos AV on both of these computers.

Hello and Welcome @zypher

Since you are running Sophos....

Sophos Web Protection conflicts with Malwarebytes products on Windows.  Please read the article below with options on how to fix your issue. Either you will have to disable web protection in Sophos or in Malwarebytes.

Issues running other security applications and Malwarebytes for Windows
https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051090194-Issues-running-other-security-applications-and-Malwarebytes-for-Windows