Kaspersky 2020 g update released

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problems between Kaspersky and Malwarebytes may still exist. As noted above, I had Kaspersky Total Security 2020 (g) and enabled Ransomware protection in Malwarebytes for testing. Seemed OK for about 15 minutes until I started installing TurboTax 2019, which froze at 30% installed. I then tried to open Chrome and Thunderbird an neither would open (multiple instances of both showed in Task Manager).  Rebooted computer and turned off Ransomware Protection in Malwarebytes for the time being as I want to see if I may be having problems with the new update (g) in Kaspersky before retrying Ransomware Protection in a day or two.

Hello @dagar74      

Would you try the following adjustments  as a test ?   They can help out.    I did similar when I had recently tested Kaspersky 2020   & had odd behaviors with Firefox & PaleMoon due to over-monitoring by Kaspersky.   Personnaly my view is the Kaspersky "system guard"  is the one causing programs to hang at startup.    

( I had seen PaleMoon & Firefox show on Task Manager  but yet not show physically with a on-screen app window).   e.g.  the system guard trips things up it seems.

regarding Chrome & Thunderbird:

add those 2 specific applications as a Exclusion in Malwarebytes.

Exclude affected applications within Malwarebytes.

Test that out.  See if it helps for the time being.    Let me know the result after this.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated links

Bravo.   That is quite amazing.    Tell me, other than the exclusions in Malwarebytes for Chrome & Thunderbird,  are anything else you did in Malwarebytes ?

and then as far as Kaspersky,  have you done any adjustment ?

When you start Malwarebytes for Windows, does it show all OK ?

I just want to be sure there's not any oddity.     Do keep us advised.

I think your system here is one of the only ones  to have Kaspersky in good control.

Thank you so much, Dagar74

Maurice

I am sure that I am overdoing the threats and exclusions and allowed items, but it seems to work so far. Malwarebytes 4 starts Ok with Windows vs 1903 and is visible in the Task Bar. I am attaching two Word documents that show what I have excluded, etc. in Malwarebytes and Kaspersky Total Security 2020 20.0.14.1085 (g).

Kaspersky Total Security 2020 Trusted Applications and Exclusions for ASUS PC as of 23 December 2019.docx Malwarebytes 4 Allow List on ASUS PC as of 23 December 2019.docx

• Solution

Thank you so much for the 2 documents regarding exclusions.   It appears to me you have done very well.

You have set all components of Kaspersky in the Allow list of Malwarebytes version 4.

You have all set as trusted exclusions all main EXE  components of Malwarebytes   in the Kaspersky "Trusted applications"

You have set all protection SYS drivers of Malwarebytes  also excluded in the exclusions section of Kaspersky.

I also see you excluded  elements of Thunderbird in both applications.

Bravo.   Kudos.

This here is the main trust exclusions in words  & image.

Start ( open ) the Kaspersky application.

Look down on the first screen, look for and click on the gear icon  ( Settings )

image.png.c0cf7bcfa9ebdcf337f9fd301a6dcd90.png

On the Settings screen, click on “Additional”   from the list on the left.

Next, click on Threats and Exclusions from the list on the right-side pane.

On the following screen, look down the list

Click on “Specify trusted applications

click the Add button

click the Browse button

Once you clicked the Browse button, the objective is to guide this to where Malwarebytes for Windows is installed.

From the left-side pane navigation, pick C drive

Then click Program Files  to expand  & scroll down

Then click   Malwarebytes  to expand

Then  click Anti-Malware to expand.   Then focus on the EXE files to select each

Click on Assistant,exe  & click on the Open button to make that pick

You will be prompted by Kaspersky at each line, so click the Continue button to confirm  ( each )

Then repeat the same way for each of these as well

IG.exe

Malwarebytes_assistant.exe

Mbam.exe

MBAMInstallerService.exe

MBamPt.exe

MBAMService.exe

Mbamtray.exe

Mbamwow.exe

mbamWsc.exe

Apply the adjustments.   When all done, click the X  on the upper top right of the window.

This is a sample screen I had from some of my testing related to this.

image.png.020c85f4e9f4ffdc2ea647414f5355ba.png

NEXT,    Go back to the Threats and Exclusions section of Kaspersky

Click on  “Manage Exclusions

Click the Add button

On the next screen that shows “add new exclusion”  click the BROWSE button

Enter

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes

And click Add

Your screen should look like this

image.png.3a97bc63c51d719a2a303a652cc49918.png

You also want to exclude the drivers  ( .SYS )  files of Malwarebytes for Windows.

image.png.2e34151d1457e3dd6f2ad4bff2c980bc.png

Click the upper most X button at top to close.

When done, close the Kasperky dialog windows.

Do  a Windows RESTART  to insure that all this is saved  and in effect  during the new Windows session.

NOTE:  

If after all this, there is some issue with a web browser or an email program,  be sure you provide us the detail.

Sincerely.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

8 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

This here is the main trust exclusions in words  & image.

Start ( open ) the Kaspersky application.

Look down on the first screen, look for and click on the gear icon  ( Settings )

image.png.c0cf7bcfa9ebdcf337f9fd301a6dcd90.png

On the Settings screen, click on “Additional”   from the list on the left.

Next, click on Threats and Exclusions from the list on the right-side pane.

On the following screen, look down the list

Click on “Specify trusted applications

click the Add button

click the Browse button

Once you clicked the Browse button, the objective is to guide this to where Malwarebytes for Windows is installed.

From the left-side pane navigation, pick C drive

Then click Program Files  to expand  & scroll down

Then click   Malwarebytes  to expand

Then  click Anti-Malware to expand.   Then focus on the EXE files to select each

Click on Assistant,exe  & click on the Open button to make that pick

You will be prompted by Kaspersky at each line, so click the Continue button to confirm  ( each )

Then repeat the same way for each of these as well

IG.exe

Malwarebytes_assistant.exe

Mbam.exe

MBAMInstallerService.exe

MBamPt.exe

MBAMService.exe

Mbamtray.exe

Mbamwow.exe

mbamWsc.exe

Apply the adjustments.   When all done, click the X  on the upper top right of the window.

This is a sample screen I had from some of my testing related to this.

image.png.020c85f4e9f4ffdc2ea647414f5355ba.png

NEXT,    Go back to the Threats and Exclusions section of Kaspersky

Click on  “Manage Exclusions

Click the Add button

On the next screen that shows “add new exclusion”  click the BROWSE button

Enter

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes

And click Add

Your screen should look like this

image.png.3a97bc63c51d719a2a303a652cc49918.png

You also want to exclude the drivers  ( .SYS )  files of Malwarebytes for Windows.

image.png.2e34151d1457e3dd6f2ad4bff2c980bc.png

Click the upper most X button at top to close.

When done, close the Kasperky dialog windows.

Do  a Windows RESTART  to insure that all this is saved  and in effect  during the new Windows session.

NOTE:  

If after all this, there is some issue with a web browser or an email program,  be sure you provide us the detail.

Sincerely.

Hi,

We did exactly as you described it and it didn't work except for this file MWAC.SYS that doesn't exist on one of the computers.

You need not use "Quote"  when doing a reply.

You did not say what is going on  that is the issue.  Is this one particular web browser ?   what program ?

We need fuller details, please.

Exclude affected applications within Malwarebytes.

Test that out.  See if it helps for the time being.    Let me know the result after this.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated links

The problems already mentioned here on other forum pages. Applications stop responding simply do not open. They are open in the task manager and cannot be finalized. Not to a specific application, it happens in many applications including after several minutes the malwarebytes itself does not open its main window. So I can't put these applications on Firefox for example because malwarebytes or Kaspersky will no longer protect them. Instability is widespread in the system not only in one computer we have here 8 computers and the same happens. We did exactly how the instructions you guided on this page and the problems persist, not improved at all, not changed at all.

If I may suggest,  tackle just one machine only. as a new test   ( not 8 )

Remind us the complete name of your Kaspersky app  & if it has patch level G

Besides Firefox browser,   exactly what other apps  seemingly get hung up ?

For Firefox or any other web browser or email app like Thunderbird,  make a specific exclusion for the EXE  in the Malwarebytes 4  "Allow list".   That does help.

Exclude affected applications within Malwarebytes.

It helped me in my testing   ( several weeks back).    That method helped me to get Firefox behaving more normal, as well as PaleMoon browser.   But honestly I do believe it is the new Kaspersky that is triggering the situation sch that  some web browsers get tripped up.  The "hung app" situation only was reported after Kaspersky came out with the newer 2020 versions.

We may possibly have reached the point whereby both Kaspersky 2020  & Malwarebytes Premium v4  cant co-exist   without special trust exclusions.

I have listed above the suggest Trust Exclusions into Kaspersky.

See also the more recent posts by Exile360  & LiquidTension.

I regret the trouble you are having.

As I noted, the Original Poster of this topic Dagar74 reported  

Added Exclusions for Chrome and Thunderbird as recommended by Maurice Naggar above. No problems since the previously reported computer hang. Thanks for advice.

All 4 protections have been enabled since 12/20.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated links

Same here. Have had to uninstall Malwarebytes as it was causing Firefox & other apps to freeze. Couldn't even kill them from Task Manager.

Was fine until latest version of Kaspersky Internet Security was installed a few days ago.

Can someone at Kaspersky look into this please? Have tried the steps suggested above but without any success. 

20 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

We are not an ordinary user. I am a systems analyst. I believe communicating with you is a bit complicated. I have repeated twice that we did exactly what you said. It makes no sense for me to exclude programs like Firefox or others since this is how I will be allowing security holes.
I'll do my best. Analysis of bugar systems and find out what the conflict is. Initially I thought there is already a solution, but I don't see.

So thanks for nothing.

Just reporting in that I'm still monitoring the threads on the KIS/MB incompatibility issues.  Holidays and scheduled surgery for Monday are limiting my time as far as being able to temporarily impare my computer to do testing though.

I'm running Windows 10 version 1909, Kaspersky Internet Security 20.0.14.1085 (g) and Malwarebytes 3.8.3 (with Ransomware protection turned off).  Here's my log entry from when I went back to this configuration from MB 4.0 based on suggestions found on this forum.  I have had NO problems with any programs (including Firefox and Thunderbird) for over three weeks since reverting to MB 3.8.3.  Have only general exclusions and trusted app designations in KIS for the MB and Firefox EXE files and overall folders.  Originally had more exclusions/trust settings, but they were lost when I did a couple System Restores after completely uninstalling MB and KIS and reinstalling them in attempts to fix what turned out to be this compatibility problem.

December 4, 2019

Downloaded and reverted to Malwarebytes Version 3.8.3.  Disabled automatic MB application updates on both computers.  Seems to be working fine now with Ransomware module still OFF.  Scans complete successfully on both computers and three of the four real-time protection modules are running.  UPDATE as of December 26, 2019 – still working just fine.  Seems to be a good temporary fix.

Will continue to monitor, including adding this thread as well as the others.  Thanks for all of the efforts, especially from Maurice and those doing testing on their systems.  May be able to help in late January by installing Malwarebytes 4.0 again, typing in the exclusions/trusted apps settings on both KIS and MB, and testing various programs.

Happy New Year....................Jim

Yesterday I installed malwarebytes 4.0.4.49, with all the exclusions mentioned by Porthos, only I left the ransomware protection OFF, to be on the safe side I thought.

I restarted the computer and everything was OK.

This morning starting the computer and : NO internet.

The other computers were still on line with the old version 3.8.3.2965.

I uninstalled malwarebytes the normal way, not with the support tool, restarted the computer and I was back online, reverted to the 3.8 version. Restarted the computer and malwarebytes vanished, probably because it was mentioned on my account that I used more devices, deactivated the device mentioned as second and everything was normal again.

My version of windows : 1909 18363.535.

Kaspersky Internet Security 20.014.1085 (g)

I will also continue to follow-up everything concerning MBAM and Kaspersky incompatibilities, Kaspersky should make an effort and let us use both like in the past. Every time I contacted their support for some reason they always told me to uninstall malwarebytes which I refused and also explained why. I use malwarebytes since 2008, I think, and it always worked like it should, now I'm disappointed about some fight with AV companies to 'kill' malwarebytes the hard way, instead of advising to uninstall.Don't let them win !

OK, Kaspersky Total Security 20.0.14.1085(g) and MB Premium 4.0.4 with all options actives for both products, under Win 10x64  build 1909

I have added the exclusion listed here for KAS in MB and for MB in KAS by Maurice Naggar, including CHROME.EXE and FIREFOX.EXE in MB.  I finally had to add Mozilla Firefox\UPDATE.EXE in MB since it also froze while trying to start firefox. It really look like KAS and MB are fighting...

At this point, both Chrome and Firefox seem to work but Firefox show 7 threads in Task Manager with one open tab and Chrome show 21 for 2 open Tabs.  No idea if it was like that before upgrading to KAS 20 or not.  Also, just discovered I now have an Error 0x81000203 while trying to access System Protection tab in the System Property dialog box.  

At this point, I am not sure if I have a stable system or not.  This system would stay up for weeks without problem before.  We'll see

2 hours ago, DBO1 said:

Also, just discovered I now have an Error 0x81000203 while trying to access System Protection tab in the System Property dialog box.  

Ok, this problem is relate to the Kaspersky Removal tool that remove the "volsnap" string require by VSS in the following UpperFilters key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71a27cdd-812a-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}]
"UpperFilters"=hex(7):76,00,6f,00,6c,00,73,00,6e,00,61,00,70,00,00,00,00,00

Since I still have Kaspersky, the key now contain: klbackupdisk volsnap

"UpperFilters"=hex(7):6b,00,6c,00,62,00,61,00,63,00,6b,00,75,00,70,00,64,00,69,\
  00,73,00,6b,00,00,00,76,00,6f,00,6c,00,73,00,6e,00,61,00,70,00,00,00,00,00

15 hours ago, DBO1 said:

At this point, both Chrome and Firefox seem to work but Firefox show 7 threads in Task Manager with one open tab and Chrome show 21 for 2 open Tabs.  No idea if it was like that before upgrading to KAS 20 or not. 

OK, after disabling MB from starting with windows, reboot, same number of thread with FF and Chrome BUT NOW, KAS take nearly all the CPU with no disk activity, even after 5 minutes...  It return to normal after loading the MB console to reactivate it at next reboot....  After a reboot, all back to normal

PS: yesterday after posting, I had to add VLC.EXE to the MB trusted list.  Same issue I had with FF and Chrome before.  Pretty sure I will have to add other applications to the trusted list in the coming days... Lots of fun ahead it seem

I think I may have a working system now, many thanks to everyone, including @Maurice Naggar.  Will let it go a day or two and see.  KIS 20.0.14.1085(g), MB 4.0.4.49, Windows 10 Pro 1909.

Interestingly, I was not able to exclude the MB drivers.  KIS refused to list them when attempting to exclude -- in fact only shows 3 files.  screen shots attached which show that the drivers are there.  Is there some "expert" checkbox I need to find and mark on KIS to get it to show me the drivers? 

Additionally, I too have noticed that Chrome has multiple instances -- at the moment I have 4 open tabs and 13 processes.  Closed all but one tab and I still have 11 processes. Is this normal or part of the "incompatibility" issue?

2019-01-01- doesnt exist.png

2019-01-01- finds almost no drivers.png