Go to solution Solved by dcollins,

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, dcollins said:

If you're experiencing this issue, can you please try the following:

1. Download and extract the attached CrashDumps.zip
  2. Double click CrashDumps.reg inside the zip folder to import the registry items
  3. Reboot your computer for the registry changes to take effect
  4. Reproduce the issue by shutting down the computer
  5. When the computer comes back up, look in ?\CrashDumps for any dump files
  6. If they exist, please zip them up and attach them in your reply, or use wetransfer.com to generate a download link if they're too large

CrashDumps.zip

Had to use the wettransfer link....  https://wetransfer.com/downloads/53b39f18b5e3e1bc082e104d0b7e0b4020180920154758/61293fb38042ef839895d1f8cddfcdde20180920154758/cf1263

17 minutes ago, dcollins said:

Thanks for your reports. We've been able to reproduce this internally now as well.

Out of curiosity, were you getting any notifications on reboot that the issue happened, or did you just happen to look at event viewer and see the issue?

Just on review of Reliability History.  No notification I could see....except the obvious slight pause with verbose logging, I could see the "Shutting down MalwareBytes Service" briefly. 

I noticed my WER, after initial Boot this morning, when my LAN light wasn't on and I had no internet connection, I reset the modem and everything was normal (all lights illuminated)

Checked for Malwarebytes definition updates, there weren't any, which I thought was odd, since the last update was last night

Came to forum to check if any errors were reported with 3.6.1, saw this thread

• Solution

Thanks for the information everyone. As mentioned, we have been able to reproduce this issue. There doesn't seem to be any negative impact from this issue that we've identified other than the error message in the log, so you should be ok to leave things as normal. If you want to remove the error though, you can disable Self-Protection in the meantime.

We are currently looking at how many people are being impacted to understand if we need to release an emergency hotfix for this issue, or if we will wait for our next scheduled release. Feel free to each out with any questinos.

37 minutes ago, dcollins said:

Thanks for the information everyone. As mentioned, we have been able to reproduce this issue. There doesn't seem to be any negative impact from this issue that we've identified other than the error message in the log, so you should be ok to leave things as normal. If you want to remove the error though, you can disable Self-Protection in the meantime.

We are currently looking at how many people are being impacted to understand if we need to release an emergency hotfix for this issue, or if we will wait for our next scheduled release. Feel free to each out with any questinos.

I feel being a paid user of MB, this issue should be fixed now, and the users should not have to wait for any next regular update, which could be weeks from now. I think anyone running latest version of Windows 10 are affected, weather they know it or not, some people just don't look in there event viewer at all. We knew how to fix it temporarily, by turning off  Self-Protection, as this was reported early this morning, by another member. I would like this issue fixed now please.

Michael...

We understand your concerns and we are still gauging the response here. The reason we haven't made a decision of whether or not to release an immediate fix is because, as I mentioned above, there's no negative consequences to what's happening here. The Malwarebytes service does crash on shutdown, but it doesn't cause any negative system performance. This will definitely be fixed in our next release though.

14 hours ago, exile360 said:

Is everyone here on Windows 10 x64 build 1803-17134.286?  I'm just wondering if this is perhaps OS-specific.

It isn't OS specific. This laptop is running Win 7 and has a similar error report. It is described as APPCRASH .  The crash is not very obvious as occurs on shutdown so easy for many users to be unaware. Win 7 does have the  action center flagging the error and offering "checking for solutions". I imagine that would be fruitless exercise anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

Updated my Win10 Home x64 to 1809-17763.1 ... pretty sure this is same issue with mbamservice.exe , but it's the first time I've seen it in Event Viewer.

Faulting application name: mbamservice.exe, version: 3.2.0.704, time stamp: 0x5b9acf90
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17763.1, time stamp: 0xa369e897
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000001982b
Faulting process id: 0xe20
Faulting application start time: 0x01d45ae44300a5e7
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: d412389f-a917-4ddc-aad5-d553c1ef061d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

It's been 7 days with no error

Hope this helps with fixing the original issue

This is what I did

1. Deactivated license 

2. uninstalled Malwarebytes 3.6.1 using MB Support Tool "Clean" function without the reinstall of current version

3. installed Malwarebytes 3.5.1 from download "mb3-setup-consumer-3.5.1.2522-1.0.441-1.0.6841"

4. Reactivated Lifetime license

5.Waited for "Newer version available" from system tray notification

6.Installed Malwarebytes 3.6.1, using the Malwarebytes control panel "install", just above the "Scan" button which reset the self-protection back to on (default), I left it that way

Also note: Upgraded to Windows 10 1809 from version 1803 on 2 Oct 2018, which reset the "Fast Startup" checked, also left it alone, still no errors 

18 hours ago, exile360 said:

Thank you for letting us know.  Please let us know if it changes.  I will inform the team of your success as it may prove helpful to the Developers.

I have a fresh set of logs for comparison between them and the previous entries, maybe they'll help determine the gremlin 

MB Check 

MB Support

FRTS

Addition

Still no errors present, including an virus scan with Windows 10 Home 1809

mb-check-results.zip

mbst-grab-results.zip

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

virus scan 10-07-2018.txt

Came on here after I noticed the error report on Win 7 system from the reliability monitor.

Did a uninstall MBAM software with support tool and automatic reinstall and no error reported after recent shutdown. Maybe fixed it, maybe not. Will keep you posted.

10 minutes ago, COBKA said:

Came on here after I noticed the error report on Win 7 system from the reliability monitor.

Did a uninstall MBAM software with support tool and automatic reinstall and no error reported after recent shutdown. Maybe fixed it, maybe not. Will keep you posted.

Edit: This did not fix it. Still getting error reported on reliability monitor

On 9/21/2018 at 1:31 AM, dcollins said:

Thanks for your reports. We've been able to reproduce this internally now as well.

Come on Malwarebytes... If you've been able to reproduce the issue effecting probably all of us, surely it's time you addressed it and fixed it.

This is pretty poor form to allow the error to continue this long