RAM usage - what is going on?

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is this issue "exclusive" to premium users ? 

I did not notice this on a machine where I had the free version. I have disabled internet access on that machine. MBamservice is at only 4 MB on that machine.

However, on the machine where i had the premium version installed it ran upto Gbs like the others have reported.

Got up to 9GB, I killed it, it came back, killed it again at about 5GB used, now I can't kill it any more (just stuck at 7GB memory usage).  Turned every option to 'off' (other than 'self-protection' which seems to be stuck on).  Service is 'stopped' but still taking memory, can't kill the process via task manager, uninstall isn't working .... I've set the process to disabled but it just seems to be stuck.  Going to try a reboot next.

I assume it's a bad update of some sort.  

This is premium.

Edited by Wyndstryke

Okay so, if you want MBAM turned off, you don't have to uninstall.

If you can, just go into MBAM - settings - go to protection, and then scroll down to where it says 'start up MBAM when PC starts up'. Turn off everything in that small block.

Then restart your PC.

It should stop MBAM from turning on for now.

Remember to turn everything back on once this is fixed again. I will be checking forums for updates.

I stole this image from this forum to make it easy (turn off ALL checkmarks under "Startup Options")

mLR9fC7.png&key=ee7df8ae162c277acf0eb903

4 minutes ago, Seventies said:

To temporarily block the process, You had to

1) Kill it in Task Manager

2) go very quickly into the services and disable it (Run > services. msc)

If we don't block it in the services, it restarts.

MB3.PNG

This worked for me as well, though you don't actually need task manager. You can simply the service after going to services.msc, and then press the stop button to end the running service. Just don't forget to put the service on Automatic again once whatever is going on has been fixed.

3 minutes ago, shadowwar said:

We are investigating now. Trying to do a new publish which should be out in 10 mins. if everyone can check if this resolves it.

db update with a potential fix is MBAM3 Version: 1.0.3799

Thanks for the update Shadowwar.
How would I go about getting this possible fix? Do I launch a manual upgrade check?

Thanks, scagood

Edit: I've uninstalled for now, would a fresh install theoretically fix this?

Edited by scagood

1 minute ago, ya_paid said:

Is this issue "exclusive" to premium users ? 

I did not notice this on a machine where I had the free version. I have disabled internet access on that machine. MBamservice is at only 4 MB on that machine.

However, on the machine where i had the premium version installed it ran upto Gbs like the others have reported.

NOPE

Just now, Tjc222 said:

Just wondering, do you guys test this stuff? or do you use your customers as guinea pigs?

No need for that - accidents happen. Lots of programs have a crappy patch now and again. They were fast to respond in under an hour. Just sit back and wait for now.

1 minute ago, Corodix said:

This worked for me as well, though you don't actually need task manager. You can simply the service after going to services.msc, and then press the stop button to end the running service. Just don't forget to put the service on Automatic again once whatever is going on has been fixed.

I could not stop it in the services without stopping it before via the Task Manager

What the heck did you code monkeys do now? Malwarebytes is acting like a damn virus. You've turned an antimalware program into a trojan. Great job there guys. My computer just had a meltdown because of this. Every time I'd kill the process the damn thing just started back up again and started climbing up the process list taking with it every once of free RAM until the entire system hung. Stopping the service didn't help at all either as that just rebooted on its own as well. I had to go into the folder, kill the process, stop the service, and launch the uninstall exe in order to put an end to it all. My system is now unprotected thanks to your blunder, so thanks for that. Not that it was protected while this mess was going on, mind you. It kept disabling all the protection.

I'll be honest, I suspect foul play here. I understand bad patches happen, but this particular behavior can be seen as particularly suspect depending on how you look at it. Like it might be the work of a hacker using our systems for some ill process, or an act of sabotage from a malcontent employee. I honestly don't know what to make of this mess, but its one hell of a screw up.

Edited by Merik2013

Just now, Stufish said:

No need for that - accidents happen. Lots of programs have a crappy patch now and again. They were fast to respond in under an hour. Just sit back and wait for now.

Since it's hitting every premium user it never should have made it out the door... Clearly wasn't tested in house before it went out.