RAM usage - what is going on?

3 minutes ago, WISlim said:

Uninstall is unnecessary. You can disable the process, then kill it in Task Manager and it will stop automatically restarting.

Disable by: Windows Key + R -> Type then enter: services.msc -> Find the Malwarebytes process and double-click: change the startup type to "disabled" -> End task the MBAMService process in Task Manager

Did not help, cpu still sky high process still running.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had this happen here. Re-starting the application after terminating simply has a repeat in behavior where the process simply consumes more and more memory until all available system memory is allocated.

I noticed web protection was off when I turned it back on. Manually starting web protection would appear to start then it'd stay on for 1-2 minutes before reporting web protection was shut off again. Prior, during, and after memory usage continued to balloon.

For now im simply not running MBAM and suspect this is the cause of an errant update.

2 minutes ago, UncleMax said:

Same problem here.  Signed up to post.  Crashed Firefox while reading a page... and then crashed my PC shortly thereafter....   beep beep... black screen... beep beep..   I thought I had a virus or who knows what.  Shut down.  PC was HOT... like I'd been playing a game.  I KNEW something was amiss.  Same as others, I went through the Task Mgr stuff with identical results.  MB will autorestart from TM shutdown IF it's open .  I finally found it will not auto restart if you close it down ( the program , open on screen ).. and then kill it in TM. 

Crazy.

I thought it was the video I had open - I also had the beep beep and black screen. Ughs, I hope they fix this soon!

I am having the same issue.... RAM usage going through the roof to a point where my Win 7 box crawls to a halt.  I was able to switch to task manager and you can see the RAM simply increasing and does not appear to stop.  If one tries to stop the MBAM, etc  process it goes away only to respawn a moment or two later.  If I "open" the Malwarebyte dashboard and quit the application the process still remain.  Overall it made my computer completely unusable and the only way I could stop it was to fully uninstall Malwarebytes.  I have to say I used to love Malwarebytes, but since they released their new dashboard style version it really cripples the computer when it is working... and so it hinders my ability to use my computer.

5 minutes ago, WISlim said:

Uninstall is unnecessary. You can disable the process, then kill it in Task Manager and it will stop automatically restarting.

Disable by: Windows Key + R -> Type then enter: services.msc -> Find the Malwarebytes process and double-click: change the startup type to "disabled" -> End task the MBAMService process in Task Manager

1 minute ago, daman1 said:

Did not help, cpu still sky high process still running.

After disabling the MWB in services be sure to open Task Manager and end the process there. It should not return.

4 minutes ago, JayTee said:

They need to provide a full and detailed response as to what happened, why it happened and what they are going to do to ensure it doesn't happen again. 

I second this. I don't want a simple "It's fixed now, please update" response. I demand a full explanation and apology here. This is inexcusable.

Same here. Was playing hearthstone when everything chrached. Saw MWB using 12Gb of Ram. 

I uninstalled mwb, cleared The registery (With cclean) rebooted and reinstalled. Looked to be working but 5 minutes later it was The same story. 13gb+ ram usage with NO realtime Web protection.

As im writing this The whole OS just chrached all I se is a black screen

Ok, made another topic with screenshots of proof of all my memory being consumed within 6-8 minutes of rebooting, you can find the images there.

My laptop just started behaving the same way, this is maybe 45 minutes after I noticed the problem with my main desktop.

I rant to the third PC in the house and disabled automatic updates in case a new version of MBAM is casuing this via automatic updates.

NOTE TO STAFF: Please add some default password-protection to your checkup utilities log files and .zip output!

Just now, TruFord said:

Created an account to follow this thread. I just had malwarebytes consume all 32gb of my computer. I was able to kill it and disable it until it is fixed. Very annoying start to my day

They've probably had loads of new user registrations on the forum in the last hour or so.  Web team will be cheering lol.

I've disabled it and turned windows defender back on.

Hopefully we'll get a fix soon.

Just now, Sam512bb said:

I have to say I used to love Malwarebytes, but since they released their new dashboard style version it really cripples the computer when it is working... and so it hinders my ability to use my computer.

It crippled mine a bit too, in which programs took seconds longer to open and even a slowdown whenever I select more than one item in Windows Explorer.

Time to find another alternative it seems or, just stick to Defender or, get myself MSE. Besides, most anti-virus programs have went down the gutter in recent times, and it's a shame. MBAM included.