MBAM Staff - Are you listening at all?

MBAM 3 a real problem for many users - and communication between MBAM and the users is very unsatisfactory to many.  PLEASE, MBAM just let us know what is going on - and whether we should wait for a fix, or  just accept that this will never be a good app again and move on.  In all fairness, you really owe your customers some explanation regarding the status and what we can expect.         

I believe that they have been swamped by the sheer volume of customer requests for help. That does not excuse their lack of communication or even acknowledgment that this program is a dog that should not even be in Beta. Malwarebytes has really shot themselves in the foot with this. There appears to be conflict issues with a lot of other software. MBAM is no longer a second opinion program that will play happily with other AVs. I think it is probably having compatibility issues even with itself. I will wait and see if the next release is bug free. If not, I'm gone and not coming back even though I have another year left on my license.

The Problem is that when you play with the Big Boys be prepared for a backlash.. When Malwarebytes declared there was no need for any other AV or Security program but MB3 that is when the gloves came off and the hitherto playing partners became enemies.   I am sure Norton has a thousand engineers working to dissect and tear apart MB3 at the seams or at least make it ACT like it is not working correctly,   Just saying that NORTON and others will do anything to protect their TURF, in other words, their Market Share.  If MB3 is having any problems IT is definitely coming from the competition and that is probably not going to be the lone hacker someplace,  but an office full of engineers who are doing everything in their power to bring it down.  All we can do is wait and see who is still standing... That is does MB3 live to fight another day OR will all their followers duck and run and make standing impossible.  Millions of dollars are in the balance and MONEY means POWER and power means someone could really get hurt, almost like a spy movie and the covert actions to stop the enemy.   The fact is that this is going on and if it isn't then well let's just put it this way.. IT IS going ON , whether it is in Russia, Slovenia, Japan, China, or even USA don't expect anyone to play fair... expect the worse.  Malwarebytes as it stands may have to retract it's statement of No other AV needed and beg to stay alive unless they plan to play to the d....  or at least easier said ... the bitter end.  I like Malwarebytes, I like their philosophy and if they can hold their own in this war we all might be Ok IF they keep their beginning philosophy and are not swayed by all the money and power and underhanded deals.  AND hopefully they will not fall into the Sickness of trying to weasel every dollar they can out of honest customers.   Stick will MB3  until the end.. use other AV's if you need to even the freebies but don't abandon !!  That's my $5.00 worth.   Kurt

Every day another problem on windows10, mostly solved by restarting MB3 or the computer. It's totally unusable on windows7 with an SSD drive that gets filled at an amazing rate.

Let us return to a good "compatible" anti malware program that can be trusted and does what it says : stop malware just like before. I would never stop using my AV suite and if I have to choose, well .... Just please make it work again !

Hello all--

Thanks for the feedback.

The short answer is yes, more updates, upgrades and fixes are coming!  As always.  :)

Since the initial Malwarebytes 3.0 launch we've already released a series of updates and upgrades, addressing the top issues reported post-release as quickly as we were able.  The teams are constantly working on the next new release, sometimes several in parallel.  But there's only so many items that can be added to any given release, and that means it takes a little longer for some of the other fixes to make it to the field.  I realize there are a few bigger fixes (e.g. VSS image issue) that you've been waiting for, so please know that we hope to have another update out in the next couple weeks.

Please also realize that at this point, just two months after the initial release of Malwarebytes 3.0, that we have millions of users on 3.0.  Browsing this forum can make it seem like there is nothing but problems.  But as someone else pointed out the other day, that's to be expected here -- this is a support forum where users can get help with any problems they're having with the software.  Of course you're going to see problems discussed here.  But there are millions of others who are running 3.0 without issue.  I have it installed on several of my own home systems, running Windows 10, and I have no problems.  So not everyone is having serious issues.

But to answer the main question, yes, we're working on fixes and improvements.  They won't all be released at once, but rather are prioritized and updates will come out regularly and as quickly as possible.  We are able to release more quickly now due to the more modular architecture in 3.0, but I realize that if you're waiting on a particular fix the wait seems as long as ever.  

In the meantime, depending on your experience with Malwarebytes 3.0, you always have the option to revert to the earlier MBAM 2.2.1 version for a while longer.  The instructions on how to do this has been included in our FAQs for some time:

Thanks for your continued patience and we'll let you know just as soon as the next update is released!

25 minutes ago, bdubrow said:

I have it installed on several of my own home systems, running Windows 10, and I have no problems.

Are you sure?  Try this:  Under "Scan Schedule" create a "Custom Scan", click "Customize Scan", make sure the bottom four checkboxes are checked including the last one ("Scan for Rootkits"), check one or more drives on the right, click "OK" on "Customize Scan", click "OK" on "Edit Scheduled Scan", then go right back in by clicking "Edit" and "Customize Scan" and you will most likely find that your drive selection(s) that you just made are missing.  Furthermore, when this scheduled custom scan runs, it most likely will not create a "Scan Report" in "Reports" nor scan any files on the "selected" drives as evidenced by how quickly it completes (a minute or two instead of an hour plus for most computers I am responsible for), even though the dashboard will show that the scheduled scan ran.

41 minutes ago, bdubrow said:

Browsing this forum can make it seem like there is nothing but problems.  But as someone else pointed out the other day, that's to be expected here -- this is a support forum where users can get help with any problems they're having with the software.  Of course you're going to see problems discussed here.

This works both ways: Do you have visibility into what percentage of those customers are having problems but just not reporting them? 

48 minutes ago, Scootcha said:

This works both ways: Do you have visibility into what percentage of those customers are having problems but just not reporting them? 

Indeed!

MB3 is offered not only in English but also in other languages.

The language in your support is English, the language here on the forums is English.

All customers, who use MB3 in another language than English and don't speak English pretty well, neither will contact your suport nor they will sign in here, if they have any issues with MB3.

You neither will become aware of them.nor of their issues.

And be sure, because they feel being stranded they will throw MB3 into the wastepaper bin and will regard the purchase of MB3 as having payed dearly for a "trash program".

If they have used Anti-Malware 2 with pleasure before they update to MB3 they most problably will not revert to Anti-Maware 2. How shall they do that without knowledges of the English languages? They neither can't understand the below posted advice from bdubrow nor they can't understand any instruction to revert to Anti-Malware 2 - most certainly they are lost customers for Malwarebytes.

1 hour ago, bdubrow said:

you always have the option to revert to the earlier MBAM 2.2.1 version for a while longer.

Maybe I am wrong, but for me that's for the first time, that someone of the staff gives at least in a hidden way the advice to revert to Anti-Malware 2.

Well done!

Edited by GMork

2 hours ago, GMork said:

MB3 is offered not only in English but also in other languages.

The language in your support is English, the language here on the forums is English.

All customers, who use MB3 in another language than English and don't speak English pretty well, neither will contact your suport nor they will sign in here, if they have any issues with MB3.

There are many Trusted Advisers/Experts here and on staff that that read and write in other languages.

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

There are many Trusted Advisers/Experts here and on staff that that read and write in other languages.

:D

What Porthos says is true. Also, it doesn't stop users from using either Google Translate to post on the forums, or post in their native language and we'll use Google Translate in return to understand what they're saying and reply if necessary.

Thank you bdubrow for your post - please try to keep us updated as much as possible.  I've gone from optimism to pessimism to despair back to hope since MBAM3 was released.  It just helps if we realize someone at Malwarebytes is hearing our cries....thanks.

13 hours ago, Porthos said:

Interesting.

That means, I can post here in German as my native language and  I also can contact the support in German?

Posting here in German and contacting the support in German would be much easier for me, although I speak English tolerably.

We will see, if I will test that someday and what will be the result...:-D

13 hours ago, Aura said:

Also, it doesn't stop users from using either Google Translate to post on the forums, or post in their native language and we'll use Google Translate in return to understand what they're saying and reply if necessary.

Sofort ein kurzer Test:

Ich weiß aus eigenen drolligen, aber auch unangenehmen Erfahrungen, welcher Unsinn und Quatsch manchmal mit dem Gebrauch solcher Übersetzungsprogramme verzapft wird einschließlich Google Translate.

;-)  :-D

Edited by GMork

@Aura

Now it becomes too off-topic.

Therefore my last answer to this:

Dem Sinn nach ist deine deutsche Antwort zu verstehen und es stimmt zumindest für diese deutsche Antwort, wenn du schreibst: "...eine Übersetzung genau genug zu liefern, um unsere Nachrichten zu bekommen."

Aber würde man die Grammatik und insbesondere die Wortstellung deiner deutschen Antwort bewerten, würde ein Lehrer dafür mit viel Wohlwollen "ausreichend minus" geben.:P  :D

Edited by GMork

On 2/13/2017 at 2:06 AM, Kurttb1 said:

I am sure Norton has a thousand engineers working to dissect and tear apart MB3 at the seams or at least make it ACT like it is not working correctly,   

So the basic premise of your conspiracy theory is that MB3 itself is susceptible to a malware attack?  Let me digest the underlying implications of that defense.

I am sure Norton has a thousand engineers working to dissect and tear apart MB3 at the seams or at least make it ACT like it is not working correctly,   Just saying that NORTON and others will do anything to protect their TURF, in other words, their Market Share.

Yet it only takes one Google Project Zero expert to tear apart all Symantec products at once too ^_^

11 hours ago, Scootcha said:

So the basic premise of your conspiracy theory is that MB3 itself is susceptible to a malware attack?  Let me digest the underlying implications of that defense.

Ich würde sagen, dass alles auf einem Computer "unterliegen Malware-Angriff" einschließlich Anti-Malware-Programme. Ich kann nur eine Theorie ohne tatsächliche Tatsachen haben, aber wer würde uns niedrige Benutzer sagen.

Couldn't help myself... for trying that Google Translate ... cool..

9 hours ago, Kurttb1 said:

Ich würde sagen, dass alles auf einem Computer "unterliegen Malware-Angriff" einschließlich Anti-Malware-Programme. Ich kann nur eine Theorie ohne tatsächliche Tatsachen haben, aber wer würde uns niedrige Benutzer sagen.

Because Kurttb1 posted that German reply, I can't follow my announcement to stop my participation in this theme about translation of foreign languages.

Kurttb1, exactly your German answer is one of the examples, when a translation program produces almost unintelligible nonsense by its translation.

The first German sentence is understandable although there's a severe grammatic mistake.

But the second sentence would be named in German as "Kauderwelsch",  in English gibberish. :wacko:

Only with considerable power of conduction it's understandable.:huh:

Therefore a teacher would assess your whole German translation with the grade "ungenügend", in English insufficient. :P :D

Now you see, what translation programs can do and especially what they can't do! :excl:

And it's obvious, that such gibberish can happen in both directions

What would happen, if for example a German customer has issues with MB3 and he contacts the support in German for getting help

Hence  the support uses a translation program to understand the German request. and the translation program produces similar English gibberish as it did above in German.

Can you imagine an effective continution of such contact: between the support and the customer?  I claim: No end in sight...:lol:

And now the circle closes to the topic theme: Dou you believe, that such foreign customer without knowledges of the English language after having contact to the support will continue to use MB3 in its current version? As said already: He will throw it into the wastepaper bin.

Therefore my appeal to the staff of Malwarebytes: Release as fast as possblbe a well running version of MB 3 for all customers!

Edited by GMork

@GMork   I do not disagree with you, in fact I agree with you and believe the translators can cause confusion and some may very well abandon MB3, however we do not really know the amount of persons who are using ...say.. Norton alongside MB3 and can wait a bit for the fix which I am very sure as stated already is forthcoming.

I do not plan to go anywhere, however, on my SLOW computer (quad core 1.65MHz)  I have reverted temporarily to MB2, exploit beta, and MBARW beta, the truth might be that some computers are not powerful enough to handle a robust MB3 program, who knows.  I have MB3 on my other two faster computers and have no problem at all other than the occasional pop-up saying one of my protection layers is off, but I'll wait patiently and I do have Norton running alongside MB on all computers.

Reverting to 2.2.1 as v3 is too much of a resource hog even on a powerful PC with 16GB of memory.  Even something as simple as safely ejecting a USB stick takes 3-5x as long with MBAM v3 running as it did with v2.  I had just gotten the massive Adobe Creative Cloud off my system when MBAM updated from v2 to v3...  It's almost as bad as ACC.

3 hours ago, Meathead said:

Reverting to 2.2.1 as v3 is too much of a resource hog even on a powerful PC with 16GB of memory.  Even something as simple as safely ejecting a USB stick takes 3-5x as long with MBAM v3 running as it did with v2. [and so on]

In a hard disk scan (especially on a fast SSD) v.2 was also a CPU rapist. But: the system was and is normally usable. At v.3 it behaves as paralyzed, which should be urgent on the priorities list.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, so it does not forgotten: the support for the more recommendable version v. 2 must be maintained furthermore, even beyond June 2017. The real-time detection of outbond etc. contaminated web pages and the recognition rate with the manual scan is equivalent to v.3, any more it does not need. All other are only advertising promises to pass the fight with the competition, the user has nothing of it. Those who have paid for v. 2 for lifetime, will  that her product functions accordingly further and no one want to be abused as guinea pig for constantly new beta versions. Nobody paid for what he did not want, and at the pushy company MS, we're probably not?

---

Learning foreign languages in the classroom - such as English, French and Latin - were always a tiresome devotion to duty (if one can say this so). However, I will do my best!

1 hour ago, ZVAXX said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, so it does not forgotten: the support for the more recommendable version v. 2 must be maintained furthermore, even beyond June 2017. The real-time detection of outbond etc. contaminated web pages and the recognition rate with the manual scan is equivalent to v.3, any more it does not need. All other are only advertising promises to pass the fight with the competition, the user has nothing of it. Those who have paid for v. 2 for lifetime, will  that her product functions accordingly further and no one want to be abused as guinea pig for constantly new beta versions. Nobody paid for what he did not want, and at the pushy company MS, we're probably not?

Well said, complete agreement.

Or  MB should urgently reflect about the following compromise:

Anti-Malware 2 and MB3 are offered and supported both ones for at least two years parallel.

In that case every customer can decide while these years, which program with which features is most qualified for his purposes.

Furthermore Malwarebytes will have  even two years  to develop a really well running MB3 , which satisfies all customers..

Watching the current disaster with MB3 I say honestly, I am a little bit in doubt, if Malwarebytes will be able to offer a MB3 without severe issues till June 2017.

And from the date of a working MB3 probably most of the customers, who still use Anti-Malware 2, will change voluntary to MB3 and they aren't forced by Malwarebytes to change already in June 2017 to a maybe still problematic MB3..

Edited by GMork

Anti-Malware 2 and MB3 are offered and supported both ones for at least two years parallel.

In that case every customer can decide while these years, which program with which features is most qualified for his purposes.

Furthermore Malwarebytes will have  even two years  to develop a really well running MB3 , which satisfies all customers..

This would also imply that the resources Malwarebytes dedicate to Malwarebytes 3.0 will be cut in half, and therefore: slower updates, longer time for fixes to be implemented, more money to invest in a product that cannot keep up with the security in 2017, etc.