[SOLVED] Error opening browser/apps on Windows 10

vincent

Hello John,

What version number do you shows for MBAE ?   version 1.08.1.1045   ?

You said

CMD and IE crash

Did you happen to write down the specific content of the error messages?

Let's collect some logs saved by Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. Please complete the following steps:

Note: Some of the folders might not appear as they are hidden by default. If you do not see these folders, please see the following Microsoft Help Articles to enable this.

Windows XP - https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/win_fcab_show_file_extensions.mspx?mfr=true

Windows Vista or higher - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/show-hidden-files

Collect Logs for Windows Vista or higher:
1. Click on Start
2. Click on Computer
3. Double-click C:\ > ProgramData
4. Right-click the Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit folder
5. Click Send to > Selected Compressed (zipped) folder
6. A zipped file will be created in the ProgramData
7. Drag the newly created zipped file to your desktop and attach it with your reply.

Collect Logs for Windows XP
1. Click Start > My Computer
2. Double-click C:\ > Documents and Settings > All Users > Application Data
3. Right-click the Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit folder
4. Click Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder
5. A zipped file will be created in the Application Data folder
6. Drag the newly created zipped file to your desktop and attach it with your reply.

Additional diagnostic reports:
Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach the files with your reply .

Once we have received these logs, I can assist you further with this request.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This thread is for  member John A  only.
If you are not  and have a similar problem, do NOT post here;  start your own topic

John, I see your old thread post from August 2015, where you had reported
iexplore.exe- Application Error -- The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000018)
cmd.exe- Application Error -- The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000018)

Know that I have seen that type of ""application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000018)""  on some browser applications in the long ago past on Windows 10.
None of them had anything to do with Malwarebytes software.
They had all to do with some occasional quirks in Windows itself.   So lets be very aware of that before we dig into a "potential rabbit hole".

Typically those occurences disappeared after a shutdown > Restart.
They also have not happened since getting the very latest Windows 10 updates & the builds that came out after July.

After a reboot of my PC, it seems the free product is causing CMD to not work along with other Microsoft applications.  As soon as I stop Anti-Exploit, everything is back to normal.  I had also tried rebott/uninstalling/installing, the same issue would come back.

I have been using the latest Anti-Exploit for some time now, 1.8.1.1045

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]

---------------------------
cmd.exe - Application Error
---------------------------
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000135). Click OK to close the application.

A big jump from 1045 to 1185..

Since, no auto-upgrade as with 1044 to 1045, went with over the top, which failed..

Uninstall. fresh install, re-start worked.. But have problems, now in 1185...

- Chrome & Chrome nased Slimjet only hang, after opening (invariably with protection notification).. No browsing..

- Fastestwebbrowser (IE core based) on first or second attempt after boot-up, is protected by MBAE (with tray notification and of  run in Sandbox in Antivirus).. Subseuqent sessions r not protected by MBAE (no tray notification nor any .dll injection in Process explorer) and only get Antivirus notification of app run Sandboxed..

Everything was fine with 1045, where even with Sandbox run in Antivirus, MBAE was still protecting Fastestwebbrowser and Chrome & Slimjet protections also fine..

Only with 1185, problems have appeared..

On FRST logs, need to generate it and will send after it;s ready..

@Pedro..

Webroot is on auto updation and up-to-date..

Trusteer is only present in Chrome and not in Slimjet (though there is a Rapport add-on in Slimjet since it's of Chrome family, but Rapport in actual does'nt cover Slimjet)..

Also, no action possible (even viewing chrome extensions or Slimjet extensions), with the 1185 upgrade in place..

Still, uninstalled Trusteer in toto, to no effect.. Problem still persists..

To add, if MBAE protection is turned off, Chrome browsers r fine..and also Fastestwebbrowser..

As such, if were to roll back to 1045, everything will be fine..

What to do now?

Find at odds, that eventhough "Avast Safezone" browser is based on Chrome engine (I'm going by earlier Safezone browser versions, which were specified as Chrome based and not sure abt the latest Safezone browser version, where there is no mention of Chrome) and covered by MBAE (shielded for avastszb.exe and under "Browsers" profile) is fine.. while Chrome & Slimjet are problemmatical..Maybe this could provide some clue to the problem.. Just my view..

I am running MBAE version 1.08.1.1045 (Premium) on a clean install of Windows 10.  I noted that both cmd.exe and elevated cmd.exe as well as Microsoft Edge were failing to run.  I followed the informaiton given in the solved forum information concerning 0xC0000135 errors elsewhere in this forum to no avail, but have found that if I 'stop' MBAE then these items work.  If I reengage MBAE they fail.

I'm sure this is an error or the software may be corrupt.  I have unisntalled and reinstalled it twice now.  And have included the zip of the files requested in the sticky.  Hopefully someone can help me resolve this issue.

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.zip

FRST.zip