[SOLVED] Error opening browser/apps on Windows 10

vincent

Hello,

so I heard about Anti Exploit and tried it today to see if I'd like to upgrade to premium. However with this free installation I've noticed something that definitely breaks my setup as I use cmd/powershell a lot. So far this is the only application that I've noticed that is affected.

Steps to reproduce this is just starting cmd, either through 'run' or any other way (through powershell works too). You end up with this message:

---------------------------cmd.exe - Application Error---------------------------The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000135). Click OK to close the application.---------------------------OK   ---------------------------

I tried changing settings in Anti Exploit but nothing worked. The only way to get cmd.exe working again is STOPPING PROTECTION entirely. I tested this on 2 Windows 10 computers, both experience this issue. Am I the only one?

Windows 10 x64

MBAE version: 1.07.1.1015

I also use Bitdefender AV only

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Staff

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting vincent.

Cmd under Win10 x64 and x32 is working here no problem.

Can you please test by temporarily disabling BitDefender completely to see if that may be causing a conflict?

If that doesn't work, please do the following:

1- Reboot

2- Uninstall MBAE from Control Panel

3- Reboot again

4- Download and install MBAE again

Also please post the logs from FRST. Instructions can be found in the "readme first" link in my signature.

Thanks for your reply pbust. I have to also add 'iexplore.exe' to the list, as I just noticed the exact same error message behaviour. Here's what I've done:

So I tried disabling Bitdefender's 'Active Virus Control' (while keeping 'on-access scanning' activated) and keeping MBAE also actived. I then get this error instead:

---------------------------cmd.exe - Application Error---------------------------The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000018). Click OK to close the application.---------------------------OK   ---------------------------

If Active Virus Control is working I get the 135 error. Clearly Bitdefender's AV is somehow interfering with MBAE to some extent. Using 'exclusions' in Bitdefender doesn't help either, you have to turn off the protection mechanisms completely. So that's kinda bad.. I'd rather not have to switch my Anti Virus unless you can recommend one that'll work with MBAE and overall has good detection rates etc.

In any case, I then proceeded to follow the reboot/reinstall steps and after just the first reboot it seems fixed? I can open iexplore.exe and cmd.exe again, really weird. I did make exclusions in Bitdefender prior to this, so maybe that helped after the reboot as well.. I'll definitely test it out for a little while before I upgrade to the Premium version. Are they the same when it comes down to the core application? Obviously Premium offers more features, but can I be sure that if I don't have issues on the Free that I can upgrade without any core issues like this one for example?

Thank you again and I hope this helps someone else if they've had the same errors.

• Staff

This is probably due to some hooking conflict between Win10, BitDefender and MBAE after the upgrade. Once resolved you shouldn't experience them anymore, regardless of Free or Premium.

If you purchase Premium and you have problems, simply come back here where we can resolve them or ask for a refund.

• 2 weeks later...

I ran into the same problem, it also seems to affect the Premium version.

It started when my startup batch files started to generate this error after MBAE was already installed for a few weeks. I also happen to use Bitdefender as my AV and don't think simply disabling the AV is a proper solution.

My workaround is using the 64-bit cmd.exe, which doesn't seem to generate the error.

If you happen to be running a 64-bit version of Windows, you can set the 64-bit version of cmd.exe as default as follows:

• Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings
  • Click on 'Environment variables'
  • Under the 'system variables' pane, select 'ComSpec' and edit the value to read %SystemRoot%\SysWow64\cmd.exe

This fixed it for me, but of course it's only a workaround for a problem that hopefully can be fixed in another way!

I have just started getting this issue on Windows 10 with iexplore and cmd.  Stop MBAE protection and all good.  Defender, MBAM Pro, MBAE Pro.

iexplore.exe- Application Error -- The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000018)
cmd.exe- Application Error -- The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000018)

Additional Information

FRST and MBAE logs PM'd

This issue occurs on my Acer laptop which runs the release version of Windows 10.

This issue does not occur on my desktop running Windows 10 Insider build 10525, (but that has much less other software on it)

Thanks for the suggestion pbust, as I mentioned earlier I had fixed this by adding exceptions for both the folder and the process in Bitdefender. For a few days I had no issues, but then yesterday I installed the new Windows 10 updates:

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/27/microsoft-releases-windows-10-patches-kb3081452-kb3081448-and-kb3081449/

And rebooted into the same 0135 error when opening cmd/iexplore. Interestingly enough the trick that jord mentioned works, but he's wrong about something, SysWow64 is the 32-bit folder (I know, confusing right? But hey that's Microsoft) so I think you're definitely right that there's some kind of hooking conflict going on with the 64-bit part of Windows, MABE and Bitdefender. I then followed your uninstall/reinstall steps and it works fine again, it's really weird but I guess I'll just be wary of Windows updates from now on, seems like they reset something? In your tests, do you have UAC activated? That might be something to look into as well, I personally have UAC on.

Also, I noticed something interesting in the mbae-service.log:

"2015-08-28T16:14:46.612-05:00";"SYSTEM";"1";"1.07.1.1015";"";""

"2015-08-28T16:46:05.798-05:00";"SYSTEM";"1";"1.07.1.1015";"";""

"2015-08-29T11:49:34.192-05:00";"SYSTEM";"1";"1.07.1.1015";"";""

"2015-08-30T10:39:11.130-05:00";"SYSTEM";"1";"1.07.1.1015";"";""

"2015-08-30T13:34:48.267-05:00";"SYSTEM";"1";"1.07.1.1015";"";""

"2015-08-30T13:35:32.671-05:00";"vincent";"2";"1.07.1.1015";"";""

"2015-08-30T13:43:24.942-05:00";"vincent";"1";"1.07.1.1015";"";""

"2015-08-30T13:43:30.897-05:00";"vincent";"2";"1.07.1.1015";"";""

I'm guessing the service should run under SYSTEM and I checked whether this was the case in services.msc but I wonder why my username instead comes up in this log file the day I installed the new Windows Updates.

Again reinstallation fixed it.

• 1 month later...

I just went through a Windows update reboot and Excel 2016 x64 stopped working. I also am using Windows 10, bitdifender total security 2016, MBAM and MBAE. in the mbae-service log I also see the latest entry is using my username instead of system. I will try the beta and see if that fixes my issue.

• 4 weeks later...

I, too, had the same CMD problem, and solved it by uninstalling MBAE.  In addition, evidently, MBAE was also causing Microsoft Edge not to open, as that problem has also been solved with the uninstall of MBAE.  I have an old Dell Optiplex that upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 almost flawlessly.  MBAE continues to function without interfering with either CMD or Edge.. This Gateway I'm typing on has had hiccups from the initial upgrade to Win 10, including its inability to restart, now, with me having to unplug and plug-in the PC. 

• Staff

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting @radioone.

Can you please follow the steps outlined here:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/171634-anti-exploit-not-started-under-windows-10/

If that doesn't solve the issue, can you please attach or PM me your FRST logs? Instructions can be found in the "readme first" link in my signature.

Hello,

having the 0x18 cmd problem too, running Windows 10 x64. Initially I suspected it was a problem with ESET conflicting with MBAE, but it turned out the problem persists after uinstalling ESET. I'm not 100% sure, but I do think that I did not upgrade my windows but installed fresh Windows 10 a few months ago. Also Edge is closing itself on start when MBAE activated. Experienced the same issues on another notebook (which still has ESET installed and was upgraded from Windows 8) but with completely different hardware. I'm also running MBAM Premium.

Thanks for the logs iFlame. Have you tried to see if a fresh re-install fixes it? This happens sometimes under Windows 10 due to a new behavior of Windows 10 which we're still investigating.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/171634-anti-exploit-not-started-under-windows-10/

No problem, I just reinstalled, so far I don't face any issues, but rebooting has always fixed the cmd error temporarly, so I will report back should it occur again.

• 3 weeks later...