Malwarebytes Browsis not updated to the latest version in the mozilla store

JohnKd
Go to solution Solved by gatortail,

In this case, the version in the store is: Malwarebytes Browser Guard 2.6.17 and the one currently released is Malwarebytes Browser Guard 2.6.19. When will it be updated to the latest version?

Does it depend on Mozilla or Malwarebytes?

https://addons.mozilla.org/pt-BR/firefox/addon/malwarebytes/

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/25562895139219-Malwarebytes-Browser-Guard-2-6-19-Release-Notes

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Both, After MB provides it to Mozilla they have to approve it.

As two versions have already been released and no update has arrived, this really made me question what the reason might be.

In any case, let's hope this is resolved then, although it would be interesting for Malwarebytes to also check the reason for the delay or even approval of the launch.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a long standing problem with BrowserGuard and Firefox. I do not know the reason why we often

have to wait several versions of BrowserGuard before finally Mozilla approves the BrowserGuard update...

BrowserGuard 2.6.17 was released on 18 December 2023. THAT is the version we are on. There have been FOUR

released versions since then. This situation is not going to improve for Firefox users.  Why doesn't Malwarebytes

not offer a download link for an exectuable that will simply update BrowserGuard to the latest version thus

bypassing MOZILLA. This is the solution. Not this constant situation of Firefox users being way behind on

Browserguard updates. This question and suggestion is for MALWAREBYTES STAFF.

Edited by davei1
  • Root Admin

Though I would highly suggest using Mozilla Firefox over Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge the fact is it is a very small operation in comparison to both of the other huge monster size companies.

Perspective on resources available to possibly review extensions

For Profit corporation: Microsoft 221K employees. Market value $3.02 Trillion

For Profit corporation: Google 140K employees. Market value $1.7 Trillion

Non profit: Mozilla ~750 employees. Market value $590 Million

image.png

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information
  • Like 1

Unfortunately the masses want whatever is easy...Hence the domination of Chrome...And the rest Edge since it's already installed.

Firefox is down to 4 percent of the market usage...I wonder how much longer they can continue since a lot of their revenue seems to come from Donations (by Google)...

If I were running MB and cared about Browserguard as an integral part of Malwarebytes I would be having my devs prepare for compatability with BRAVE since that seems to be the logical

choice for if and when Firefox pulls the plug. Hope that doesn't happen but when you are down to 4 percent usage and relying on donations to stay afloat it ain't looking too good.

• Root Admin

Brave is based on the Chromium browser as well. In theory (not tested by me) Malwarebytes Browser Guard should already work on Brave.

Sadly at some point Chromium browser will be the only choice it seems. Just a matter of time

Brave has secured about 1% of the world browser market. I don't see any obvious reason to believe it will have any massive growth in the near future. Currently a little over 50 million users. Chrome has about 5.3 Billion users.

Google Chrome holds over 65.29% browser market share in December 2023

The fact that Google is the default browser on most Android phones world-wide and Android out sells iPhone about 3-to-1 that is a lot of devices with Google Chrome.

image.png

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information

Yes...it looks as if that will be the way eventually...I agree that only having Chromium Based browsers is not a good thing. And as a company you need to follow the market usage.

At least with chromium based Brave they are supposedly privacy focused. I disregard the Mobile Market as although that has become the dominant platform for many...Those same

people are highly unlikely to install a product like MB (Unless it's FREE) (Except for a very small amount of mobile users)...

Brave would to me right now seem to be the logical successor to Firefox if Firefox goes under...But who knows...Maybe the silicon valley crowd will keep Firefox alive (But I doubt without expected favors).

On 2/27/2024 at 12:19 PM, gatortail said:

v2.6.23 was submitted to the Mozilla store this morning and is pending their review. 

Meanwhile...While fed up with waiting on this whole thing which will soon be 3 months since our last update for BrowserGuard (Due to Mozilla)...

I decided to download BRAVE on all of my systems...All I can say is WOW...It is F-A-S-T...And during installation guess what...It had an ERROR

saying something wanted to install an addon...Yep...It was BROWSERGUARD 2.6.23...Which I went ahead and installed without issue in BRAVE.

However I quickly learned that there was no reason for BROWSERGUARD in BRAVE as BRAVE was blocking everything already without BROWSERGUARD

needing to do anything...I've configured BRAVE and settings on all my systems...For now Firefox will remain on my systems as a backup browser

(I have EDGE forcibly removed on all my systems)... So there was a silver lining in this whole fiasco...I got a faster more secure browser. I've been

using Firefox since it's inception and was a Netscape Navigator user before that until that ceased to be. Glad there is a great privacy focused browser that will

be available into the future.

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Actually Brave does not block everything. We also block malware threats that they do not.

Well I know that Malwarebytes is the Malware specific program for protection on my system...Is that what you meant?

Or do you mean that BrowserGuard is still a good supplemental to Brave? When I had it loaded Brave seemed to be intercepting

everything before BrowserGuard so BrowserGuard was just sort of sitting there...But if you meant that BrowserGuard may still

intercept Malware specific items that Brave may not then I'll put it back in Brave. It just didn't seem to be doing anything since

Brave was intercepting the Ads, Tracking, Cookies, etc. already.

Edited by davei1
35 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

No, even if you don't use our main product. The Malwarebytes Browser Guad will still block some known malware threats and block access to sites known to participate in threat activity.

29 minutes ago, gatortail said:

Browser Guard has malicius protections like credit card skimmer protection and heuristic protection that our flagship product does not.

I'd highly recommend using it on Brave. 

I do use the PAID MB version on ALL my systems and have done so for more than 10 years...

OK...I'll add BrowserGuard back into BRAVE. Thanks for the confirmation.

• Thanks 1
  • Root Admin
4 hours ago, boombastik said:

Why ublock origin is updated in store when it released in one day. It is because it is recommended extension?

Please see above. I'm also sure that at this point with uBlock Origin being so dominant they probably have a personal connection with the team that reviews at Mozilla. I.e. some level of politics probably fits into the mix more than likely. Not much we can do about that.

Send an email to Mozilla and ask them

• Like 3