threat scans latest version 5.0.12.72

brad03

Threat scans are going slower and also getting stuck anyone else having issues with threat scans? Check marks also disappeared during scan something isn't right I'll attach logs. Also my scans never go over 40 seconds on this system with a fresh install of windows. Update i'm also having issues running an update after scans get stuck even after canceling it.    

Screenshot2023-10-03001256.thumb.png.98ecda734d804708d9feaab4f73beeb6.png

mbst-grab-results.zip

Edited by brad03
Added system logs for staff.

• brad03 changed the title to threat scans latest version 5.0.12.72

Yep, same here. Yesterday I noticed 'last scan 2 days ago'. Probably since one of the latest updates. I changed the Scan scheduler Start date. Today the scan was executed. So far so good. But, since al long time I got the (large)notification at the finish of the scan. It appears the Scan notifications(in Settings) were set disabled.

5 hours ago, Max-H said:

Yep, same here. Yesterday I noticed 'last scan 2 days ago'. Probably since one of the latest updates. I changed the Scan scheduler Start date. Today the scan was executed. So far so good. But, since al long time I got the (large)notification at the finish of the scan. It appears the Scan notifications(in Settings) were set disabled.

So far the issue has been fixed appears it was not only affecting version 5.0 but the current 4.0 version too. 

• Staff

@brad03 I don't think your issue is related to that other forum post. Your scan got stuck after "Scanning file system" right?

I reproduced this as well and it will be fixed next update.

The scan is not actually stuck. Just a UI bug here, it will complete eventually.

Also, the reason your scans might take longer is that you enabled "Scan for rootkits" in Settings->Scan and detections.

8 minutes ago, icolcear said:

@brad03 I don't think your issue is related to that other forum post. Your scan got stuck after "Scanning file system" right?

I reproduced this as well and it will be fixed next update.

The scan is not actually stuck. Just a UI bug here, it will complete eventually.

Also, the reason your scans might take longer is that you enabled "Scan for rootkits" in Settings->Scan and detections.

Scanning is still under 50 seconds for my machine even with rootkits enabled. Also it's now back to normal and has been fixed which is good! i was just noting that post because it was a strange coincidence. 

• Like 1

Installed from the installer, 5.0.12.63. Scanned, took under 40 seconds.

Enabled Beta, checked for updates, and got updated to 5.0.12.72. Checked for updates again, everything showed as current.

Ran another scan, and it's at over 16 minutes stuck on file system.

So, same issue here as well. total number of items scanned has not changed in a long time, but it's still counting up the time without completion.

All scan options enabled, PUP and PUMs set to warn.

Edited by John L. Galt

• Staff

@John L. Galt Can you please use the support tool to gather some logs for us?

You can find instructions in this comment: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/303015-resolved-malwarebytes-stuck-at-scanning-file-system/?do=findComment&comment=1592677

And just to clarify, in both 5.0.12.63 and 5.0.12.72 you used the exact same type of scan, with the same scan options?

Edited by icolcear

Correct. I set the scan options up right after installing,, then scanned with 63 .68, then upgraded and scanned again without changing anything, according to the reports in the dashboard. I'm downlaoding them now to verify that they were identical except version used.

I'll get the logs up also shortly.

Edited by John L. Galt

Lol - good thing I downloaded the reports.

The first scan didn't take 40 seconds, it took 40 minutes. The first scan scanned 315K items, the second scan after updating to .72 I cancelled only 18 minutes in, and it was only at 312K items.

Let me run another full scan, and once that is done, run a couple of subsequent scans over the day, and if there is still a large discrepancy, I'll follow up back here.

Again, my apologies for misreading the time on the first (pre-update) scan.

My scan time is different every day, after installing version .72

with .68 it was about 30 to 40 seconds.

Yesterday it was 1 Minute and 20/30 seconds, today I got 47 seconds (I just count the fastest scan - doing a scan 2 or 3 times in a row).

Malwarebytes get´s stuck during Memory scan (this happend for the past years) and somewhere for a few seconds during File System scan.

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Like 1

• Staff

PSA:

DO NOT reinstall MB5 from this URL at the current time, it currently contains a broken build in which the UI will not start. https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb5_win_preview

Please keep your existing MB5 install until we work on fixing this today. We will update you once that's fixed.

We apologize in advance for this mishap.

EDIT: Workaround is to run the installer downloaded from https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb5_win_preview with the following cmd command:

MBSetup.exe /channel beta

This will put you straight on beta channel build 5.0.12.72, which works.

EDIT 2: Issue should now be resolved.

Edited by icolcear
Updated information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Staff

Hello everyone,

The issue has been fixed, the installer from https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb5_win_preview should be working now for Release channel.

Thanks for your patience.

Expected versions:

Malwarebytes version 5.0.12.72

Component package version 1.0.1037

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Corrected font issue
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 4:44 AM, icolcear said:

We're still not sure what happened here, @John L. Galt we still want your logs to further investigate.

Sorry, got delayed getting logs. I've had a few issues to work through, including how my system seems extremely sluggish when MB5 is running (not scanning).

I'll grab some logs and do a small write up in a new thread if the latest scan does not take forever anymore.

• Like 1