Shutting Down of Topics Related to Issues Not Resolved

David Lipman has stated that the issue reported Wednesday 09/21 "Resolution of today’s web filtering issue" has been resolved. This post is outside the scope of the community's interest in hearing from a Malwarebytes Admin  on when updates to Malwarebytes Premium will resume:

This response today is not garnering any support of Malwarebytes Premium users as that it doesn't state what Malwarebytes is doing to solve the no update problem:

"This is a Quality Control corrective measure.  Due to the preponderance and prevalence of malware and malicious activity Malwarebytes will resume ASAP but within the constraints of its corrective measures.

In other words...

Please practice patience."

Can we please get a Malwarebytes Admin to respond to this issue with measures on how to resume normal daily updates?

Thanks,

Frank

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

28 minutes ago, Firefox said:

The issue there are no updates at this time can be seen with a full explanation can be found in this post below including a PDF file you can download for more information on the matter.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/290483-resolution-of-today’s-web-filtering-issue/

Additionally:

September 21, 2022 - False positive with Google

I closed those topic because Malwarebytes is not updating at this time because of Quality Control measures due to the above.  This is a good thing albeit there is a delay in receiving updates.

There is not much more to say on this subject matter.

EDIT:

It has been noted that there is an issue in accessing the PDF.

Here is the PDF Content

1126786121_RCA-WebProtectionFalsePositive-Sept222022_Page_1.thumb.jpg.fc56ef343c06f25633ac5ce96d66547e.jpg

1126786121_RCA-WebProtectionFalsePositive-Sept222022_Page_2.thumb.jpg.f298ba77809f693dbf044f08744cb5b9.jpg

Edited by David H. Lipman

I've also noticed that my Malwarebytes Premium has not received a new virus definition set (Update Package) since v1.0.60360 was delivered, and when I run a manual check for updates (i.e., by right-clicking my system tray icon and choosing "Check for Updates") it does not detect any available updates, which seems odd to me

mbst-grab-results.zip

1770860721_MBv4_5_14NoVirusDefinitionsSincev1_0_6036023Sep2022.png.1fd04d2b170761a100ed67706bc63f90.png

Like the OP fxjacobb, I'm also confused why Moderators are locking threads from users posting that their virus definitions appear to have stopped updating since Update Package v1.0.60360 was delivered on 21-Sep-2022.  This has nothing to do with the fact that Update Package v1.0.60360 included a fix for the Web Protection bug where Malwarebytes was blocking connections to Google-related websites. If Malwarebytes still hasn't figured out how to resume product updates without triggering this bug again (which is what the PDF appears to be saying) then the problem isn't really solved and the threads about a lack of updates shouldn't be marked as resolved and locked.
------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.2006 * Firefox v105.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2207.7-1.1.19600.3 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.14.210-1.0.1767 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6979 * Inspiron 5583/5584 BIOS v1.20.0
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

Edited by lmacri
Added comment about PDF

28 minutes ago, lmacri said:

Malwarebytes still hasn't figured out how to resume product updates without triggering this bug again (which is what the PDF appears to be saying) then the problem isn't really solved and the threads about lack of updates shouldn't be marked as resolved and locked.

David an I can only close a thread in one way, It marks the thread as resolved. It is a limitation of our thread controls.

Updates are not going to be resumed until the web filter is thoroughly tested to keep the google issue or one like it from happening again.

The me too posts on these threads/topics will get out of control if the posts are not locked. One topic is enough. This topic is open for now.

The reason for the lack of updates is being posted before it was locked.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Porthos said:

... Updates are not going to be resumed until the web filter is thoroughly tested to keep the google issue or one like it from happening again...

Hi Porthos:

Then perhaps one of the Moderators should go back to those locked threads and post the relevant extract from the PDF in msherwood's Resolution of Today’s Web Filtering Issue that explains why malware definition updates have been paused.  I still can't open the PDF in that thread, even when I'm logged into the forum, and I don't see how anyone without advanced  privileges (i.e., anyone who doesn't have the rank of Trusted Advisor or Expert) who read fxjacobb's original topic No Updates to Malwarebytes in 45 Hours would understand why updates have been paused since Update Package v1.0.60360 was released on 21-Sep-2022.
------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.2006 * Firefox v105.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2207.7-1.1.19600.3 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.14.210-1.0.1767 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6979
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

Edited by lmacri

4 minutes ago, lmacri said:

I still can't open the PDF in that thread, even when I'm logged into the forum

That was an oversight as the permissions in that forum were not taken into consideration when making that post.

You can probably access the following pdf.

1126786121_RCA-WebProtectionFalsePositive-Sept222022-1.pdf

38 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The updates seem to have been resumed.

Hi Porthos:

Not in my location in Canada - at least not yet. I'm still on Update Package v1.0.60360, and when I run a manual check for updates (i.e., by right-clicking my system tray icon and choosing "Check for Updates" or going to Settings | General | Application Updates | Check for Updates) it does not detect any available updates.
------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.2006 * Firefox v105.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2207.7-1.1.19600.3 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.14.210-1.0.1767 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6979Dell
Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

My Update Package just updated from v1.0.60360 (delivered 21-Sep-2022) to v1.0.60375.

1916065051_MBv4_5_14NewVirusDefinitionsv1_0_6037523Sep2022.png.916b0866990c1888b38bab94ee5b4077.png
------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.2006 * Firefox v105.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2207.7-1.1.19600.3 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.14.210-1.0.1767 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.6979

Edited by lmacri
  • Like 1