Forced restart is not acceptable

Hello,

My Malwarebytes Premium application prompted me to update from 4.1.0 to 4.1.2, saying it would be necessary to restart the software (but not the computer). I clicked Update and all was fine until I got this message:

Malwarebytes must restart your computer to finish installation.

If you have important work, please save it and close all open applications.

Click 'OK' to restart now, otherwise your computer will be restarted automatically in 10 minutes.

There was no way to postpone this or close the screen without restarting the computer. It is never acceptable to restart a user's computer without consent. This means people can face lost or corrupt data, and some processes (rendering video) can take several hours and cannot simply be interrupted with 10 minutes' notice. There are many processes that cannot be paused like that, and giving 10 minutes warning and then an unavoidable reboot isn't sufficient.

I would like to ask that this is immediately removed and instead the user is given the option to restart now or later, like almost all other software that requires a restart. Alternatively it would be good to understand why it is so critical that the computer is restarted within 10 minutes of updating MBAM and absolutely must not be postponed. If this is really the case, and I doubt that it is, then I would request that a message is displayed very clearly before the update is started advising the user that a restart may be necessary and not to continue unless it is an appropriate time for one.

Many thanks,

mbam.png

• Like 1

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

8 hours ago, exile360 said:

"...and hopefully we will see this function changed to provide greater control and flexibility."

Hopefully???  No I dont think you're getting the message... CHANGE IT!!!!  People should never have to bring this to a company's attention.  You do not own my computer.  You do not control my computer.  You dont know what people are doing on their computers at any given moment so dont force anything down their throats.  Restarting automatically has always been an insane thing to do and should NEVER happen.

9 hours ago, exile360 said:

Greetings,

Thanks for the feedback, I will be sure to pass it on to the Product team for consideration, and hopefully we will see this function changed to provide greater control and flexibility.

If there is anything further please let us know.

Thanks

Hi,

That's great, thanks very much. Fingers crossed this will be quite an easy change to make going forward.

Best wishes,

1 hour ago, dprout69 said:

Hopefully???  No I dont think you're getting the message... CHANGE IT!!!!  People should never have to bring this to a company's attention.  You do not own my computer.  You do not control my computer.  You dont know what people are doing on their computers at any given moment so dont force anything down their throats.  Restarting automatically has always been an insane thing to do and should NEVER happen.

Please understand, I am NOT in charge of Malwarebytes and it is NOT my decision which is why I said I would pass it on to the Product team for their consideration, because it is their decision to make.  I cannot force them; all I can do is provide the feedback and suggestions from users here on the forums in my weekly reports.

4 hours ago, exile360 said:

Please understand, I am NOT in charge of Malwarebytes and it is NOT my decision which is why I said I would pass it on to the Product team for their consideration, because it is their decision to make.  I cannot force them; all I can do is provide the feedback and suggestions from users here on the forums in my weekly reports.

I 100% understand that.  I also understand there is a difference between "hey guys, here's a suggestion someone posted this week, HOPEFULLY you'll listen" and "Users are outraged that this was done".  The message you pass along needs to have the same element of being pissed.  I didnt have it done to me yet, but I know how pissed I will be if it does and should you be pretty pissed off as well.  Microsoft started this trend of we know whats best for you and other companies have been lining up over the years to follow along and it IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.  Stop the nonsense!  Pass that along... please and thank you very much 

I agree with your words, but not your tone.  It is not my job to try and influence the Product team with my opinions (unless I am providing feedback of my own, independent from any feedback from the users/forums) and when I provide feedback from the forums I always include a link to the thread so that they may read your words for themselves.  I am certain the feeling of outrage will come across to them clearly.  It's not my job to editorialize so I will allow them to assess the situation and make their decisions accordingly and I believe they will do what is best, both for the users and for the company.

Now, with that said, and while I have already acknowledged that I agree with your suggestion, I also see the other side of it.  I see everyday countless users who do not understand the difference between their computer and their DVD player or toaster.  It is a machine that lets them get online and they want to turn it on and have it work.  If they have learned about the dangers of the web, they hopefully have a security solution, like Malwarebytes, to help keep them safe online.  This puts a lot of responsibility in the hands of Malwarbytes' Developers and Product Managers when making decisions about how the software should function.  They must decide between catering to the relatively small number of dedicated, technically versed users who manage their own systems expertly and with the understanding that there are great risks online and that securing a system goes far beyond any set-it-and-forget-it software solutions as safe browsing and proper system maintenance are crucial to keeping one's data safe.  For the users who are not so technically adept at PCs/Windows, I could understand why Malwarebytes may decide to force the restart because until it has occurred, the user is without full protection (and may also be suffering from a critical/widespread bug which may be fixed in the release that was installed which requires a reboot to finish) so it is for these users that Windows forces updates and restarts, and the same is likely true for Malwarebytes.  If this is accurate, then it might be best to force the restart anyway, should the number of users who aren't as technically adept using the product be vastly greater in number than the more technically minded users who manage their systems well.

I personally think there are good reasons to force a restart, however I am also of the opinion that it's better to offer the user the choice, informing them of the importance of the update/restart (i.e. why it matters to their protection etc.) with a brief message box/alert, and then give them the button to restart the system (also informing them that they should save anything they're working on etc.) and providing the option to delay or cancel the restart if needed.  I personally might also continue to nag them about it however, especially if they aren't protected until they restart their system (otherwise I'm not doing my job/holding up my end of the bargain for helping keep the user informed and their system and data secure), but I can't speak for the Product team or Developers, so I leave it to them to decide what's best with the help of users like you who offer guidance through the expression of your opinions and needs/requirements as a Malwarebytes user/customer.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have not seen something like this in very long time. But this is absolutely ridiculous.

I have quite fast PC, normally I update things all at once, and then by the end of it, restart once to finish of all the updates in progress.
Now having quite a fast PC saved me here. As I was doing some big windows updates as well.
We all know how unstable windows updates can be, especially if they are abruptly cut off by your 10 min BS.
You can quite literately break a working OS with that sort of behavior.  Forcing a complete OS re-install along with all the crap that comes with it.

This HAS to change, or mbam is not even worth using when compared to others that dont have this 10 minute BS.

• Like 1

It just happened to me too, it didn't even wait for 10 minutes, it restarted while saving all the opened work! 

Disgraceful behavior, but typical for companies that are getting too big , too fast and lose focus off their core solution. Probably next feature will be to control when we can play games or work... for our own good.

Eh, shame. 

OK, now I see there are multiple threads on this unbelievable topic. It's almost like the company has a distorted perception of what users use their computers for. Not small percentage of users use more than just browsers, where loss of data is unlikely, but not impossible.

Have you ever heard of Virtual machines? The restart of host computer a lot of times can corrupt VM, if not shutdown appropriately. 

I am sure that this was not Marcin's idea to implement. The quality and trust MBAM used to have, when he was in real control, much different than today.

Forced restart should never be allowed! Notify me of a danger not to restart right away, show me alert every X minutes, hours, but let me be in control of my computer!

The same just happened to me. This is NOT ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOUR. I just lost a load of work because it did not even wait the full 10 minutes and just rebooted.

As such I have completely removed MWB. I used to advice my friends and family to install MWB, but I will now highly recommend they remove it immediately. Hijacking someone's computer like this by the very definition malware itself and has therefore no place on anyone's computer. 

• Like 1

I'm new to this forum, but I just noticed this topic is in  Malwarebytes for Home Support forum. Perhaps there is a difference between Home and Business users, regarding the 'ignore users and just restart their system' concept.

As a business user, if company trusts us that we can handle credit card payments, we should be trusted enough to control our computer's restart process!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ExCpu said:

where can I see the details of Consumer version?

Consumer is the standard Premium version and Small Business version known as Malwarebytes for Teams. These are offered as stand alone products.

For business includes the cloud managed endpoint protection.

Since you posted here you are using a stand alone version. and the following applieas to you as well.

A change is under development.

On 11/14/2020 at 1:15 AM, AdvancedSetup said:

We have an open project working on modifications to this process in the future to eliminate this behavior and provide other options.

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2020 at 6:02 PM, Porthos said:

A change is under development.

Just want to help with a suggestion. Here is example of option to restart or postpone restart after important update:

image.png.09689a03486d64ec013c7c2c38b8ff52.png

This is very user friendly. It gives very simple message: "Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the process. You may choose to restart it now or postpone this to a later time".

And options: Restart now or Postpone (with Remind me in: 30 mins, 60 mins or 4 hours). And if choosing Postpone option, this same message will pop-up after a selected Remind me in: time.

I'm in full control, all the time, while getting reminded the restart is needed. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff
1 hour ago, daveaclayton said:

Hi,

I have the same problem and reported it as a defect.

The response I got was that there was no work going on and there was definitely no ETA for a fix.

It seams they are happy to loose us premium users - I have 6 machines using this - but not for much longer!

Regards,

Dave

Hello. Please see:

Users have now the options to schedule reminders for a reboot when one is needed