[ RESOLVED ] MalwareBytes 4.1.056 not compatible with Windows 10 2004

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Hi,

I upgraded my Windows 10 to version 2004 on 2 systems laptop and desktop.

I got apps that were not responding, taskmanager not responding, nothing really worked.

I had to uninstall MalwareBytes 4.1.056 on my laptop and desktop to get again working system after reboot.

Please make MalwareBytes compatible with this new Windows version 2004.

Kind regards,

Bert

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Hi Porthos,

I downloaded via your link:

mb4-setup-consumer-4.1.0.159-1.0.920-1.0.24046.exe

Which has the same version number 4.1.056 once installed.

Just the same story, firefox, thunderbird, spotify all became unresponsive after installation.

My Windows 10 2004 build info:

Windows Feature Experience Pack

Kind regards,

Bert

57 minutes ago, BertRAMAerts said:

Which has the same version number 4.1.056 once installed.

Now enable BETA updates and check for updates again.

It might not help but it is possible. If it does not help, you will need to disable web protection until a fix is found or revert to a version with out the issue.

Beta Updates.png

Edited by Porthos

For anyone affected by this or any other issues with Malwarebytes 4, please create a new topic of your own.  Piling onto an existing/old topic does not help anyone as the same or a similar issue may have tons of completely separate causes which may be unrelated and each system needs to be worked on individually to avoid confusion.

So anyone still having problems, please create a new topic of your own by clicking here and describe the issues you are experiencing and attach the following logs for analysis:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Thanks

Hi all,

Thank you for the reports.

Please do carry out the instructions in the post above. In addition, please let us know if you're able to identify if a particular Real-Time Protection component is responsible. You can do this by disabling each of the components using the buttons found on the Dashboard and then re-enabling them one-by-one.

Good morning @BertRAMAerts   

I hope you are doing well this week-end.   I would like to encourage you to have the latest Beta version 4.1.1 of Malwarebytes for Windows.

Just so you know,  another customer who had a very much similar case  ( Skier ) successfully installed version 4.1.1   & is doing well.

Here is the link  https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/260216-windows-10-v2004-and-malwarebytes-41/?do=findComment&comment=1384833

Start Malwarebytes.

Click the settings  ( gear icon)  off the top right corner.

Then look at the tab "General".   Then scroll down to "Beta updates".

On that line,  click it so that the radio button is to the far right.

Next, scroll back up to the section "Application updates".

Look for the blue color "Check for Updates".   Click on that.   Watch for update messages,   Follow the prompts.

If the updates to the program for Component package 1.0.931  doe not show,  then at the Top of the next Clock hour,  then repeat the Check for updates.

You can view which program component & version of Malwarebytes by click the About tab.

If it has the very latest beta, it should show  version 4.1.1.71    and  component package 1.0.931

NEXT

There is one setting in Malwarebytes that should set to  off.     The Premium ( or trial ) protections of Malwarebytes will still be on.

Start Malwarebytes. Click Settings ( gear ) icon. Next, lets make real sure that Malwarebytes does NOT register with Windows Security Center 

Click the Security Tab. Scroll down to 

"Windows Security Center"

Click the selection to the left  for the line "Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center".

Close the Settings section by closing the small x.

On the main screen, look to insure that all real-time protections are ON.

Close Malwarebytes when done.

Keep us advised. 

Sincerely,

Maurice

Bravo.   Well done.

Please know that each new component package / or version will continue to be offered / sent to your machine.

Please know that I am running on this version 4.1.1.71    on Windows 10  Build 2004 .....   as well as many other regulars on the forum.

My HP laptop has been running  many different builds of Windows 10  along with Malwarebytes for some nearly 6 years  ( this upcoming fall ).

You can also keep an eye out at the very top of this forum for announcements of new releases.

:bounce:        :bananas:          :guitar:               

Meanwhile, Can we get a fresh report from this machine for review.   The report tool FRSTENGLISH is on the Downloads folder.

Go to the Downloads folder using Windows File Explorer.

Right-click on FRSTENGLISH   and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

_Windows 10 users may be prompted about Windows *SmartScreen protection* - click line More info information on that screen and click button Run anyway on next screen._

Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run.
Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & followup & choose Run anyway.

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. 

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST.
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is *checked* - the configuration should look exactly like on the screen below (do not mark additional things unless asked).
Press Scan button and wait.

image.png.5d47975010636d1d032768cefa8d6625.png

The tool will produce 2  logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt , Addition.txt 
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply.

Thank you very  very much.    I can review the report & likely offer some other tips.

Sincerely.

I have uninstalled MalwareBytes completely.

After installation of the beta version, everything seemed fine.

But then after a full PC reboot, Thunderbird and Firefox just became unresponsive again.

Throwing out MalwareBytes solved it.

Maybe within a month or so, I will try to install MWB again, as I am a paying customer.

For now I have lost enough hours after upgrading Windows 10 to 2004.

@BertRAMAerts    

Regret all the trouble you have run into.   Reviewing the hardware components would help  ( report via Speccy)  as well as Farbar F R S T  diagnostic report would help us to help you.

You should use a tool-applet named Speccy  to see what it can tell about the hardware system.

• Please download Speccy from here and run the installer
  • Be sure to uncheck any checkboxes for any offers for any browsers, toolbars, or anything else it might ask to install other than the program itself (let us know if you have any trouble, and take a screenshot of the page of the installer where you're stuck and post it in your reply before proceeding if necessary)
  • Click on the Customize link in the installer and select the options you desire for icons and whether you want Speccy to inform you of updates (I recommend unchecking this option)
  • Once the installer completes, uncheck the box to view the release notes and click the Run Speccy button
  • Once the program starts it will analyze your system, please be patient as it may take a few moments to complete.
  • Once it finishes and none of the areas say Analyzing click on the File button at the top and select Save Snapshot...
  • Save the file to your desktop and click Ok to confirm; you may now close Speccy and uninstall it if you do not wish to keep it
  • Go to your desktop and right click on the file you just created and hover over Send to and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Please attach the zip file you just created to your next post

The directions for the FRST are above at  https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/260184-malwarebytes-41056-not-compatible-with-windows-10-2004/?do=findComment&comment=1384851

It would also help to know whether this machine has Windows Defender as the resident antivirus ?  or else if it has some other third-party non-Microsoft branded antivirus ?

Also, know that Microsoft has identified a few problem drivers / hardware on some systems that upgrade to Windows 10  May 2020  build 2004.

You should look at the list

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004#425msgdesc

It includes some Intel iGPU devices, some Conexant brand audio drivers, some Nvidia display drivers  [the affected drivers are any version lower than 358.00.]

Do review the list.

and check with your computer manufacturer for the latest drivers for your hardware.   That is always best practice prior to a Windows OS upgrade.

Sincerely,

Edited by AdvancedSetup
corrected font issue

Just an FYI that some Norton 360 users have reported similar glitches after the Windows 10 Version 2004 (May 2020) update was installed - see MatureSoccerFan's 28-May-2020 thread Windows 10 Version 2004. Conflict with Norton Security? in the MS Answers forum for one example.  In that case a reinstall of their Norton product using the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool solved the problem.  If users are having problems with Malwarebytes v4.1.0.56 (the current stable release, not the v4.1.1 beta) after Win 10 Version 2004 is installed I wonder if a clean reinstall of Malwarebytes using the Malwarebytes Support Tool (Advanced | Clean) would work better than an over-the-top update with the offline installer as suggested in post # 3?

There was also a suggestion in that MS Answers thread that disabling the Fast Startup power option in Win 10 as instructed <here> might have prevented this problem. Norton and Malwarebytes users with Win 8.x and Win 10 OSs are often asked to disable Fast Startup to ensure their security software loads correctly at boot-up, and Microsoft apparently just posted their own warning about problems with Windows Update failures when Fast Startup is enabled (the default setting) in the MS support article Updates May Not be Installed with Fast Startup in Windows 10.
----------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v1909 build 18363.778 * Firefox ESR v68.8.0 * Windows Defender v4.18.2004.6 * Malwarebytes Free v3.8.3-1.0.629

Hi Maurice Naggar:

I'm not sure why my post above was split off from BertRAMAert's thread MalwareBytes 4.1.056 not compatible with Windows 10 2004 (who noted that turning off Windows Fast Startup and reinstalling MB v4.1.0.56 appears to have solved their problem) but the Forum Mods might as well delete this entire thread now. As a standalone post there's no context to my comments and it was not my intent to warn Malwarebytes users that Norton 360 might not run correctly after their Win 10 OS is updated to Version 2020.
----------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v1909 build 18363.778 * Firefox ESR v68.8.0 * Windows Defender v4.18.2004.6 * Malwarebytes Free v3.8.3-1.0.629

This case here is one example of turning off the Windows 10 Fast Startup  which then results in clearing up the problem.

Today there was a similar one, also involving Fast Startup.   They too cleared up the issue by turning off Fast Startup.

They too also are on Malwarebytes for Windows version 4.1.0.56   with  Component package 1.0.931

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/260320-windows-10-may-update-not-responding/?do=findComment&comment=1385417

My post on the combination Windows 10 2004 and MalwareBytes is already closed:
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/260184-malwarebytes-41056-not-compatible-with-windows-10-2004/

But unfortunately it is NOT resolved by disabling the fast Windows startup.

I did now just like GaryE: disable Ransomware Protection and my laptop and desktop work fine now.

Still with the official release: no beta.