Bitdefender install caused several BSOD on 2 PCs

We have two Thinkpad X1 Carbon Touch Gen 1 PCs running Win 10 Pro x64.  Everything is updated daily.  We also are running MB (Premium, not registered in Windows) and Windows Defender (WD)

Installation of the latest Bitdefender Total Security 2018 (BF), part of a trial from our Netgear router, failed miserably on both PCs.  I followed all instructions in the install and its Update, but getting several BSODs on both PCs -- which I have not seen in years. I finally got all this uninstalled on the PCs.

I didn't get a chance to enter any Exclusions in BF or MB or WD.  I think I was just "lucky" to get to uninstall all of BF between the BDODs.

I think that the problem is solely due to the BF software.

However, does anyone think that the BSODs could be due to not having the Exclusions entered?

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column

mbst_get_started.jpg

7. Click the Gather Logs button

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be found on your Desktop. Click OK

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

• Root Admin

Hello @ingber

Can  you get us the memory dump file for this as well as the following logs.

Upload Malwarebytes Support Tool logs manually

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3103104/how-to-solve-windows-10-crashes-in-less-than-a-minute.html

You can use wetransfer.com to send a link if the file is too large to post

Thank you

23 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @ingber

Can  you get us the memory dump file for this as well as the following logs.

Upload Malwarebytes Support Tool logs manually

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3103104/how-to-solve-windows-10-crashes-in-less-than-a-minute.html

You can use wetransfer.com to send a link if the file is too large to post

Thank you

It's been awhile since I uploaded logs.

If I use WeTransfer, to I post the link here?

If I send by email (I'm sending logs from 2 PCs), it might be under 25 GB, so GMail is OK.  Where do I send this?  The email I got from you is noreply@... ?

I see I can simply go to the link just above to attach these files, at

"NOTE: If I am directly helping you on a topic and I've not replied within 24 hours please send me a Private Message with a link to your topic."

• 2 weeks later...

It's been awhile (9 days) since I gathered and submitted all the logs and dump files you requested.  Is there any info on your analysis of this information?

Lester

Hello @ingber

We have a defect filed for this issue and are looking into it.

For now I would recommend running Malwarebytes with web protection turned off and running Malwarebytes Browser guard in conjunction.

Another workaround is to disable bitdefender.

Will let you know when we have a fix for this issue.

Thank you.

I don't see the relevance to this ticket?  Yes, we have this installed.

Browser Guard was recommended since you need to keep Web Protection in Malwarebytes disabled to avoid the BSOD issue so I was simply indicating which browsers it works with and where to find it in case you did not have it already.  It provides the same protection for your web browser as Web Protection, however of course it doesn't shield your entire system and other processes the way that Web Protection does, but at least it provides protection for the most likely target of most malware attacks.

I think (not sure) that the logs I sent should reflect that (a) I downloaded Bitdefender via Chrome browser.  However, I then closed all apps including browsers for the install.  The BSOD comes on when rebooting, even before opening any browser.  So, why should anything to do with the browser affect the BSOD?

Web Protection, the driver built into Malwarebytes for blocking malicious sites and servers which hooks directly into the network stack, is what is causing the BSOD, thus since one of the workarounds to avoid the BSOD is to keep Web Protection in Malwarebytes disabled I am recommending that you install Malwarebytes Browser Guard to supplement your protection as it will provide much of the same malicious server blocking functionality, only specifically for your browser rather than the entire system, but some protection is obviously better than none and so that is why I recommended that you install Malwarebytes Browser Guard.

I hope that helps to clarify the recommendation and I hope that the BSOD issue is quickly resolved by the Developers.

I appreciate the information, and would like to be notified when I can install Bitdefender again.

Thanks.

Lester

• 2 months later...

It seems there has been no MB progress on this integration since my own MB-BD posting:

5 minutes ago, ingber said:

It seems there has been no MB progress on this integration since my own MB-BD posting:

This is just one users experience so far not an official declaration.

If you are willing you can retry having both enabled with the current versions of both and report your results. Remember every computer is different.