Running Malwarebytes and Bitdefender together?

Ran into some nasty malware and don't want to experience that again. Malwarebytes (free) saved me.

I have a subscription to Bitdefender, but did not have it installed at the time. After MWB got rid of the demon, I reinstalled Bitdefender (in the middle of an annual subscription), and BD told me to get rid of MWB.

I've since found this thread: 

Wondering at the wisdom or running both Malwarebytes Pro and Bitdefender together on the same machine.

Again, I don't want to experience that demon again.

@frodojrr

I have been running Bitdefender 2018 Total Security (and earlier versions) with Malwarebytes Premium 3 (and previous versions) for years now, without issues.  I have added the recommended Malwarebytes executable files to the Bitdefender exclusion list.

You should ensure that you have the latest build of both Bitdefender and Malwarebytes installed on your computer.

While the potential does exist for conflicts, but Malwarebytes staff work very quickly, and well, with the major anti-virus vendors to remove the causes of any incompatibilities.

I hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

No issues what so ever I'm running both apps full protection with out executable files, so they play perfectly fine together. 

If you cannot get BD to install just deactivate your MB3 license, uninstall it, install BD, then reinstall MB3 and activate everything back up.

1 hour ago, frodojrr said:

So, it sounds like it's a good thing to run both. I'll check the other thread I quoted and add the exclusions.

The world can be a dangerous place.

Thanks.

Most certainly YES, a layered approach is always a good thing,  MB is NOT a AV so running only it would leave holes in your security of your PC. 

@frodojrr

I concur with @daman1.  The interface between the chair and the keyboard is the greatest vulnerability, but security is all about "layers".  I am very confident that BDTS and MBP will keep me protected from all but the most stupid of mistakes.  That is why I run them both.  They are both very good at what they do.  There is some overlap, but for now, they each have individual capabilities that the other lacks.

You might want to read this post about why MBP is not considered a full-fledged anti-virus computer security solution.  You might also be interested in this post.  That said, BDTS does not claim to address the malware programs, like adware, browser redirectors, etc., and such, at which MBP is so adept.

This is just my two cents and does not reflect the opinion of either company.  I have no connection to either company, other than being a "Trusted Advisor" on this Forum, and a member of the Bitdefender Forum.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

Edited by garioch7
spelling error
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2018 at 10:39 AM, daman1 said:

No issues what so ever I'm running both apps full protection with out executable files, so they play perfectly fine together. 

If you cannot get BD to install just deactivate your MB3 license, uninstall it, install BD, then reinstall MB3 and activate everything back up.

Thank you @daman1 for this post. I had to get rid of Avast and its nagging free version. Did as you said and deactivated my license, removed MBAM. Installed BD free version, turned off the nagging under account in settings. Reinstalled MBAM and activated premium and all real time. I excluded MBAM entire folder prior to turning on real time just to be safe. Working great!

I decided to ditch Bitdefender. It was slowing down my system, locking out printers, and creating a host of other issues that vanished as soon as I removed it.

Still have Malwarebytes running, and installed Webroot Pro. They seem to play nicely together, and I have access to my printers, my system is fast, and, well, I'm just a happier person. :)

• 6 months later...

I ran MB Premium with Kaspersky for years without trouble but when I switched to Bitdefender Total Security I had interaction problems. I was told by the Bitdefender support person that BD is not compatible with MB. To manage the interaction  I was told to to switch off MB real time protection

7 hours ago, Shopper60 said:

I ran MB Premium with Kaspersky for years without trouble but when I switched to Bitdefender Total Security I had interaction problems. I was told by the Bitdefender support person that BD is not compatible with MB. To manage the interaction  I was told to to switch off MB real time protection

Again not sure what the problem is on your PC but I have BDTS 2019 on 3 pc's(7,8.1,10) with MB, all real time modules turned on and not one issue.

Heck I even have Zemana thrown in there with real time protection on and no issues.  

BD support will tell you that because they ONLY want there SW on your PC.

Edited by daman1

• 1 month later...

Hi all, just joined the forum because I'm currently running Bitdefender 2019 Total Security & I'm looking at complimenting it with Malwarebytes. Interested to see if any incompatibility issues.

Also wondering if anyone else here using Bitdefender is currently experiencing issues with safety removing external usb hard drives (forum link: https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php?/topic/79809-bug-external-hard-drives-wont-eject-with-bitdefender/ ).

I'm also experiencing some other issues with Bitdefender and my subscription expires in about 2 months so I'd like to start researching possible alternate security options.

So I've downloaded Malwarebytes but haven't installed it yet, as I was a bit concerned that it and BD would not be compatible. But after reading this post I'm hoping they work ok together as long as I install Malwarebytes after BD is installed? Is that correct? Just want to clarify. If anyone has any further tips re installing/running the two programs I'd rather not learn from the school of hard knocks, like I have in the past.

Cheers.

Greetings and welcome,

Yes, it is my understanding that Bitdefender and Malwarebytes work fine together as long as Bitdefender is installed first followed by Malwarebytes and I haven't heard any recent reports to the contrary so you should be in good shape if you want to give them a try together.

I haven't heard about the safely remove hardware issue for external drives, however that's not too surprising since it apparently isn't related to Malwarebytes (though just FYI Malwarebytes had a similar issue a while back with its Ransomware Protection component causing a similar problem, however that has long since been resolved several versions/releases ago).

If you do run into any trouble please let us know and we will do our best to assist you in addressing it, but I don't expect you'll have any problems.  That said, if you wish to configure mutual exclusions between the two programs, it certainly couldn't hurt, especially since even if there are no conflicts, it could still improve overall system performance to some degree (though of course it isn't guaranteed to, but it couldn't hurt to try).  To do so, exclude Bitdefender's program folder(s) along with any of its services/processes the run in the background if stored elsewhere (like within the Windows folder or any other common location where files not just specific to Bitdefender are stored if there are any) via the process described under the Exclude a File or Folder section found in this support article and the items listed in this support article should be excluded from Bitdefender's real-time protection. 

4 hours ago, exile360 said:

Greetings and welcome,

Yes, it is my understanding that Bitdefender and Malwarebytes work fine together as long as Bitdefender is installed first followed by Malwarebytes and I haven't heard any recent reports to the contrary so you should be in good shape if you want to give them a try together.

I haven't heard about the safely remove hardware issue for external drives, however that's not too surprising since it apparently isn't related to Malwarebytes (though just FYI Malwarebytes had a similar issue a while back with its Ransomware Protection component causing a similar problem, however that has long since been resolved several versions/releases ago).

If you do run into any trouble please let us know and we will do our best to assist you in addressing it, but I don't expect you'll have any problems.  That said, if you wish to configure mutual exclusions between the two programs, it certainly couldn't hurt, especially since even if there are no conflicts, it could still improve overall system performance to some degree (though of course it isn't guaranteed to, but it couldn't hurt to try).  To do so, exclude Bitdefender's program folder(s) along with any of its services/processes the run in the background if stored elsewhere (like within the Windows folder or any other common location where files not just specific to Bitdefender are stored if there are any) via the process described under the Exclude a File or Folder section found in this support article and the items listed in this support article should be excluded from Bitdefender's real-time protection. 

Thanks. I've installed Malwarebytes & both it & Bitdefender working together fine (so far). Just added Malwarebytes program files to Bitdefender safe files & all good. I didn't do anything in Malwarebytes, just ran a default scan & it came up clean:-) Bitdefender hasn't had any issues with Malwarebytes either (yet). Hopefully Bitdefender will fix the external drive issue soon as it is quite annoying. Wait & see I guess. Cheers.

BitdefenderInstall181007_SafeFiles.jpg

• 7 months later...

Bonjour

J'ai décidé d'abandonner Bitdefender. Cela a ralenti mon système et bitdefender a ralenti le disque dur, j'ai désinstallé Bitdefender, mon programme s'exécute plus rapidement et permet de naviguer sur Internet plus rapidement

balayer constamment l'appareil pour détecter à nouveau lors du démarrage de Windows

Bitdefender na jamais bloquer un site, je teste un site très douteux sur un ancien malware malware pour bloquer d bitdefender pour passer et infection de la pc

Ma question était que j'avais des problèmes peu en raison d'un peu de déni et un couplage avec la sécurité totale de malwarebytes ou j'ai mal configuré?

• 1 month later...