Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Current versions of Malwarebytes have incompatibility problems with EMET and Exploit Protection, that required me to turn off EMET in my Windows 10 Pro version 1703 . The new feature update to Windows 10, coming Oct. 17th, includes most of the previous EMET features and they are turned on by default according to information available at this time. I have attached a Word Document that includes the Settings Screen for these features.

I hope Malwarebytes will have a fix built in before 10/17 or that they will put out guidance at that time on how to deal with any incompatibilities due to these changes to Windows 10.

Thank You for looking in to this.

What to expect from the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.docx

Edited by dagar74
add the attachment

• 4 weeks later...

Yes Windows Update will automatically update your system but it could be days or weeks after 17th, as they roll it out.  But you can get the update manually.

It's a good idea to uninstall Malwarebytes prior to Windows Fall Creators Update 1709, then reinstall Malwarebytes after the update. If there are any compatibility issues between the two Exploit protections, you can either:

1. Turn off exploit protection in Malwarebytes; or

2. Change the Exploit protection settings in Windows: Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Defender > Open Windows Defender Security Centre. Then click on App & browser control and scroll to the bottom of the screen and click Exploit Protection settings.  There are 5 System settings and some Program settings that you can change.  I would recommend saving the default System and Program settings before changing them (there is a "Save settings" option at the bottom of both tabs).

Hopefully we will hear from Malwarebytes staff regarding their recommendations.

Please excuse me for jumping in on this topic, but if it is recommended to uninstall MB prior to upgrading Win10 on October 17, how would the average user who doesn't frequent this forum know to do this? What will happen if it's not uninstalled? I'm a new user who installed MB pro after the last Creator's update. Thanks for any info on this.

Edited by Phxflyer
Spelling

1 hour ago, Phxflyer said:

Please excuse me for jumping in on this topic, but if it is recommended to uninstall MB prior to upgrading Win10 on October 17, how would the average user who doesn't frequent this forum know to do this? What will happen if it's not uninstalled? I'm a new user who installed MB pro after the last Creator's update. Thanks for any info on this.

Its not really a requirement... this is mainly done by computer professionals to be proactive in case something goes wrong... more than likely you can simply install the upgrade and all will be well.  I have done 100's of upgrades and on some I have left the security software installed and on others I was told by windows to remove the security software first.  These days I simply remove it to ensure nothing goes wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just for info :

I'm using MB Premium 3.2.2.2029-1.0.212 and just upgraded Win 10 1703 Build 15063.674 to Win 10 1709 Build 16299.15 (Fall Creators Update) per inplace upgrade without any problem.

I didn't uninstall MB prior to the upgrade and now too, MB is running well along Windows Defender (I left the default settings for the "new" exploit protection included to WD).  

'Hope it continues like that ...

Edited by throkr
typo

I installed Windows 10 Pro Fall Creators Update today and haven't encountered any issues. However, for anyone that needs "Fast Startup" disabled because certain programs, like Norton Security, need to have a full restart for some updates; typical of the major Windows updates it turns "Fast Startup" back to on.

I have installed FCU version 1709, build 16299.19 on 3 computers over the last two weeks (two of them with the Insider Program). One was a clean install of the FCU and is running the latest Malwarebytes version as a trial, with no other AV, and no problems seen.

One is a notebook with a clean install of FCU, running Kaspersky Total  Security 2018 with latest Malwarebytes (licensed) and I have had one instance where Web Protection in Malwarebytes was off at startup on the fifth day and I could not turn it on (moving the slider to On, it hung at starting). After a reboot on that notebook, Web Protection was on. I have had a couple of instances over the last two months on one of my other PCs where Web Protection was off, could not be turned on, and it worked after a reboot.

The third computer was one of my production desktop PCs that had been running Kaspersky Total Security 2018 and lifetime licensed Malwarebytes (fully updated), where I did an upgrade install using an FCU ISO. I did not uninstall/reinstall Malwarebytes for this upgrade. I have not had any protection issues on this third PC, but this morning when I started the computer at about 9 am, Malwarebytes immediately started doing a scan even though the Dashboard showed that the next scheduled scan is today (10/19/17) at 2:00 PM? The extra scan seems a bit odd, but I am not concerned unless it keeps happening.

I just ran the FCU 1709 on Win 10 Pro with MWB Pro 3.2.2.2029 turned on (I forgot to turn off) and it installed fine on an older laptop (5 years old running up to date Win10).

However, Win 10 Defender Security Center is treating MWB Pro as the antivirus and Defender is no longer the primary anti-virus, and using MWB as the primary, which isn't what it did in the previous Creator's update

Anyone else having this issue, see image for snip of detail screen

Win 10 security center.JPG