going from MBAM v 2 to Malwarebytes 3

The more I read the questions and answers on this forum the more confused I become. (6 months reading)   Additionally I am in my mid seventies and acquired memory and cognitive impairments.  Please take that in consideration when replying to my questions.

Currently I have Malwarebytes Antimalware Premium v2 and would like to install Malwarebytes 3.

How do I do that?  Within the ability of MBAM to do a program update?  I do have that box unticked.  Or do I have to uninstall MBAM with an uninstaller?  If so, can you give me the link to it.

Where can I download the new latest Malwarebytes 3?  I can't find a link to that either.  So can you please provide me a link to the latest MB?

Do you recommend that I disable the shields in Avast free for a while when installing MB?  Are there any exclusions to be put in Avast and if so in which shield?   I have File, Web and Behavior Shields only in Avast.  Please tell me where in Avast I have to write in the exclusions but I also need the list of exclusions for Avast.

Please keep in mind that I turned into a noob and please be gentle on me.  TIA

Hello @abuela

The best way to migrate from MBAM 2.x to MB 3.x latest is to use our MB-Clean tool.

This tool will back up your license key so you won't have to manually activate in MB 3.x

Tool can be found at : https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean

1. Run tool. It will clean up MBAM 2.x and will ask you for a reboot.

2. After reboot tool should prompt you to reinstall the latest MB 3.x product.

3. Click on the "Yes" for reinstall and you should be able to get to the latest MB 3.1.2 product.

Please give this a go and let me know if this works.

You don't have to disable the Avast shields while installing MB 3.x. 

Hi nikhils,

Just installed MB 3 the way you told me to and so far all is fine and up todate.  Scan is very fast!  Your advice was awesome and easy to understand so I thank you very much.

One question I had was unanswered though and that was if I have to exclude MB 3 in Avast free and in which shields.  I had MBAM2 folders excluded in Avast File Shield but not sure if same will apply now that MB 3 is here.  TIA 

Edited by abuela
added a word

Hello @abuela

If you want to add Malwarebytes exclusions to the avast folder, please add the following files to exclusions:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\farflt.sys

Also please exclude the following folders too: (The complete folder)

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware
C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService

You should be good to go after that.

Thank you.

15 hours ago, nikhils said:

@nikhils

This list should be part of the FAQ section for Malwarebytes 3 (What to exclude in third-party anti-malware apps, or something along those lines).

Edited by Buddel

On 2017-06-02 at 4:25 PM, nikhils said:

If you want to add Malwarebytes exclusions to the avast folder, please add the following files to exclusions:

Hi nikhils:

Thanks for posting the exclusions.  I agree with Buddel that it would be nice to have this list added to the Malwarebytes 3 - Frequently Asked Questions thread pinned at the top of this board - that's the first place I looked for this info.

I just upgraded from MBAM v2.2.1 to MB v3.1.2 on a 32-bit Vista SP2 computer and can't locate C:\Windows\System32\drivers\farflt.sys. Is it possible this driver is installed in another location,or is it missing because my OS doesn't support the anti-ransomware module?

I also assume that users with 32-bit systems should be excluding C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae.sys (i.e., not C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys).
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.1.2 * NS Premium v22.9.4.8 * MB Premium v3.1.2.1733-1.0.139

2 hours ago, lmacri said:

... or is it missing because my OS doesn't support the anti-ransomware module?

The latter is a true statement.  farflt.sys is an anti-ransomware (ARW module) driver file that will not be utilized by Windows XP or Windows Vista systems.

I also assume that users with 32-bit systems should be excluding C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae.sys (i.e., not C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys).

That is a good assumption because, in the frequent absence of detailed system information, data for the now very popular x64/64-bit operating systems is typically assumed and given.

Thank you for your questions.

Edited by 1PW

You locked the other thread where I posted without providing the answer.  So what is the final consensus for upgrading to v3?  Some Malwarebytes reps were saying install v3 over the top, others (like in this thread) were saying to use the new MB-Clean tool.

3 minutes ago, bru said:

You locked the other thread where I posted without providing the answer.  So what is the final consensus for upgrading to v3?  Some Malwarebytes reps were saying install v3 over the top, others (like in this thread) were saying to use the new MB-Clean tool.

Most folks can simply install over the top of version 2 and have no issues.  Those that do have issues then the MB-Clean tool will have to be used.  I myself have not had any issues installing over v2 on most computers.  I have installed it on at least 100 computers thus far and have only had to use the MB-Clean tool on a handful of computers.

7 minutes ago, Firefox said:

Most folks can simply install over the top of version 2 and have no issues.  Those that do have issues then the MB-Clean tool will have to be used.  I myself have not had any issues installing over v2 on most computers.  I have installed it on at least 100 computers thus far and have only had to use the MB-Clean tool on a handful of computers.

Thanks, but I am hoping dcollins or another staff member can comment.  As can be seen in the other thread, he had recommended over the top while other staff members reco'd the MB-Clean tool.  He mentioned they were going to have a consensus recommendation but didn't provide it.  FWIW I took this thread's recommendation and used the MB-Clean tool on one computer but then was surprised to read it was not really necessary.

Edited by bru

12 minutes ago, bru said:

Thanks, but I am hoping dcollins or another staff member can comment.

That was sort of rude to someone giving you a good answer. :angry:

Since every computer is different and usually when they end up here asking for help there is a good chance that something is messed up and MB clean will be needed but in some cases installing current version over the top of the current install fixes issues.

I PERSONALLY here in my own business don't have any users left on Ver 2. But if I encountered one I would use the clean tool to AVOID possible issues.

Hello @bru

You should be able to install MB 3.x over MBAM 2.x by just running the installer and the process is pretty seamless.

However as @Porthos and @Firefox mention ,  there are times when user's machines get into bad state sometimes and they have multiple products installed.

In those cases its always better to run the MB-Clean tool and go through a fresh install.

Hope this helps.

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

That was sort of rude to someone giving you a good answer. :angry:

Since every computer is different and usually when they end up here asking for help there is a good chance that something is messed up and MB clean will be needed but in some cases installing current version over the top of the current install fixes issues.

I PERSONALLY here in my own business don't have any users left on Ver 2. But if I encountered one I would use the clean tool to AVOID possible issues.

How exactly was that rude?  I said thanks for his input and posted that I was hoping a staff member would reply since the two threads referenced had staff members making different recommendations.  While its fine to hear a regular users opinion the fact that Malwarebytes staffers were giving conflicting information and then it was stated they would have a consensus recommendation was fine, except they never gave their consensus in either thread.

I see nikhils has responded with the information I was seeking.