Is CNET safe for Malwarebytes free download?

I had Malwarebytes on my computer for a long time. Machine was recently reloaded with Win7. So now I have to get new copy of MWB. I see the free version is available for download via CNET. I had downloaded something from CNET and Funmoods was installed on my machine. I don't know if it was CNET or the download (I think it was Adobe). I don't recall the exact details - it's been a while..but I am just leery of downloads and where they come from - what extra 'stuff' you may get with that depending on where you get your download. I can't imagine MWB would offer a download on a site that would install anything else other than the desired application. So, I downloaded mbam-setup from CNET. I have not clicked to install it yet.....is it safe? thanks!

Hi Donnat,

As Wide Glide has pointed out, CNET is a trusted download partner for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. If you choose to download the product through CNET, I would advise to be cautious of exactly which "Download Now" button you're clicking on, as there are often several "Download" buttons that are actually advertisements that will lead you elsewherew. The one you're looking for in this instances is shown in the attached screenshot.

It's also important to note that sometimes CNET will bundle software that they are hosting with other content or encourage you to use their download tool. That is not the case with us. We have specifically requested that our download link go directly to our installer without any added bundled content.

Also keep in mind that you may download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from any of the other trusted download partners listed in the link provided by Wide Glide above.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

post-111281-0-86913800-1371223738.png

"...I would advise to be cautious of exactly which "Download Now" button you're clicking on..."

That's a very good and important caveat as many of these companies litter a page chock full of downloads fully knowing that they benefit from the confusion and naivety of most people so they can reap the rewards of affiliate revenue.

Thank you for your prompt response and good advice. It is quite dangerous out there and we have to be careful! I also appreciate the help you all provide to help innocent victims restore their computers when they get infected. Keep up the good work!

• Staff

I'd like to add to this in that if anyone uses a host file such as hpHosts many of the ads which appear all over these kinds of pages are not delivered because they're blocked at the server.

This is a view of the CNET download page for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware if you are directed there via the download page on our website:

post-2103-0-40081700-1371251406.png

While there is an advertisement for ARO 2013 at the bottom of the page (which I had to scroll down to in order to fully view, even on a 1920x1080 screen), the actual download for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware at the top of the page which says Download Now was the first and most noticeable thing I saw.

This was with no HOSTS file or ad blocking software (I use a HOSTS file, but disabled it to see what would show up on the page without it).

• 4 months later...

I know people THINK CNET is safe. I used to be a big fan of theirs., However they have changed and each step has been from bad to worse and worse than that. They startdout amazing, then they started to try and tempt peopel into downloading other pieces of software, then went to deceptive practices in theri efforts to get you do download things and they included BAD software like the "ASK TOOKBAR".  Now days they no longer even try to trick you. They just plain shove in extra software anbd install it without telling you. This happens even if you use a direct link to the file (which very often is not even a choice anymore).

Don't believe me? Look around on the web.|

http://news.softpedia.com/news/CNET-Accused-of-Serving-Software-Bundled-With-Trojans-238621.shtml

http://www.groovypost.com/unplugged/confirmed-cnet-download-com-gains-crapware-status/

http://www.addictivetips.com/internet-tips/cnet-introduces-download-com-installer-more-shady-than-secure/

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=14530

CNET more than promotes extra software these days. All I wasted was a driver. I did *NOT* click anything else to get more garbage becasue there was only one "opt out" in the prcess' (which I [DECLINE]d). Yet, I had three pieces of software installed on my system by CNET whilst getting a simple driver, all without clicking one thing aside from”DOWNLOAD” and taking one “opt out”.

Now people, I am outright paranoid when it comes to malware and virus software. I have been in the IT world for a long time and am very cautious. I wasn't touching the computer at all when this went down. I was several feet away from it, as a series of software package names (and short descriptions) flitted by in teh CNET download manager, looking a bit like "banner ads".
|
Why use that manager at all?

Becasue *IF* I wanted to get that file from CNET then I had to use the manager. There was no direct link to the file. This is a common experience now.

What I got was a zip of my drivers, and also a fully installed (and already running?) group of programs - DEALPLY, MY PC BACKUP and the ASK toolbar ("!&$*#(@*&"), as well as two new virus programs (at least...over 20 of them have been discovered by AVG since I went to DOWNLOADS.COM, and a few of the were major incursions - root kits)

I saw a few very rapid things go across the CNET download manger window which looked like banner ads. It turns out they were telling me what extra software they were foisting on me.

And I never once got to say no, and I count *NOT* have clicked anythig else as there was nothign else and I was not up next to the machine (sorry no telekinsis).

I never got to say “no”. Last I head that was considerd to be "illegah computer trespass" and a felony

I tried using several methods to get rid of ASK, but “uninstall” no longer works, and neither does ALSO deleting the ASK “Program Files” directory, *AND* removing the registry entries that have references to it. I also used several pieces of anti-malware software to try and get rid of it, and although each anti-malware software application “claimed” to have killed the “Ask toolbar” the only one that DID was MALWAREBYTES!!! Hooray for you folks!

On the other hand I note that you are still using the CNET store for your link. That will pretty much guarantee that the people who get the product from the downloads.com web site, will need it very soon.

I've had a couple of intrusions occur when downloading from CNET so I avoid it whenever possible.  I can in most cases locate the main download page for my downloads.  I don't recall the last time I visited a CNET page.

When CNET is mentioned in a convo with my contacts  the perception is mostly negative, probably due to their past experiences that were similar to mine.

I just had to re-install the Free Version from Malwarebytes website which states that the free version will be downloaded from one of the Trusted Partners.

It then takes you straight to CNET which I really did not want to do but I did because I trust Malwarebytes and having tried it numerous times and always getting CNET.

Why doesn't Malwarebytes give an option to choose one of the other Trusted Partners.

geranium

Hello Wide Glide

Yes but the thing was that when you press the Malwarebytes download button for the free version it takes you straight to CNET and I was suggesting that the Malwarebytes download button should have an option to choose one of the other Trusted Partners.

geranium

As a long time member of CNET the one thing I find the most disconcerting is their addition of a plethora of social media and data tracker browser plug-ins. I found if you block most of these scripts by AdBlock Plus, DoNotTrackMe or by some other means the site becomes all but useless. Call me parinoid but you never know how these data mining companys use this information.

I know people THINK CNET is safe. I used to be a big fan of theirs., However they have changed and each step has been from bad to worse and worse than that. They startdout amazing, then they started to try and tempt peopel into downloading other pieces of software, then went to deceptive practices in theri efforts to get you do download things and they included BAD software like the "ASK TOOKBAR".  Now days they no longer even try to trick you. They just plain shove in extra software anbd install it without telling you. This happens even if you use a direct link to the file (which very often is not even a choice anymore).

Don't believe me? Look around on the web.|

http://news.softpedia.com/news/CNET-Accused-of-Serving-Software-Bundled-With-Trojans-238621.shtml

http://www.groovypost.com/unplugged/confirmed-cnet-download-com-gains-crapware-status/

http://www.addictivetips.com/internet-tips/cnet-introduces-download-com-installer-more-shady-than-secure/

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=14530

CNET more than promotes extra software these days. All I wasted was a driver. I did *NOT* click anything else to get more garbage becasue there was only one "opt out" in the prcess' (which I [DECLINE]d). Yet, I had three pieces of software installed on my system by CNET whilst getting a simple driver, all without clicking one thing aside from”DOWNLOAD” and taking one “opt out”.

Now people, I am outright paranoid when it comes to malware and virus software. I have been in the IT world for a long time and am very cautious. I wasn't touching the computer at all when this went down. I was several feet away from it, as a series of software package names (and short descriptions) flitted by in teh CNET download manager, looking a bit like "banner ads".

|

Why use that manager at all?

Becasue *IF* I wanted to get that file from CNET then I had to use the manager. There was no direct link to the file. This is a common experience now.

What I got was a zip of my drivers, and also a fully installed (and already running?) group of programs - DEALPLY, MY PC BACKUP and the ASK toolbar ("!&$*#(@*&"), as well as two new virus programs (at least...over 20 of them have been discovered by AVG since I went to DOWNLOADS.COM, and a few of the were major incursions - root kits)

I saw a few very rapid things go across the CNET download manger window which looked like banner ads. It turns out they were telling me what extra software they were foisting on me.

And I never once got to say no, and I count *NOT* have clicked anythig else as there was nothign else and I was not up next to the machine (sorry no telekinsis).

I never got to say “no”. Last I head that was considerd to be "illegah computer trespass" and a felony

I tried using several methods to get rid of ASK, but “uninstall” no longer works, and neither does ALSO deleting the ASK “Program Files” directory, *AND* removing the registry entries that have references to it. I also used several pieces of anti-malware software to try and get rid of it, and although each anti-malware software application “claimed” to have killed the “Ask toolbar” the only one that DID was MALWAREBYTES!!! Hooray for you folks!

On the other hand I note that you are still using the CNET store for your link. That will pretty much guarantee that the people who get the product from the downloads.com web site, will need it very soon.

Although malwarebytes and avast i download on cnet are good, ive also observed that cnet has some shady version of legit files , i downloaded a program, tried to run it , it had no digital signature, retried the link and ran it again and got a signature, this happened on more than 2 occasions 

Seems to me that every one on this thread is targeting just Cnet.   I hope everyone knows there are plenty of other sites doing exactly the same thing. And yes I know the issue of Trusted Download Partners is the topic.   But as AdvancedSetup stated:

Our product from the CNet download link does not come with their install wrapper as most of the other programs you mention do.

So far as PUP's(Potentially unwanted Programs), User education is what is needed, what to check, how to check, when to check.   The web is not going to change, so these steps are needed

I now ask Admin to either move this to another part of the forum or close the topic.   The issue of Mbam trusting Cnet as a download partner has been well covered

Thank You