What are you listening to?

goldhound

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Blast from the past and a bit of an acquired taste (the original *is* long)....

Aside from being the soundtrack to very famous movie most of us boomers will remember, apparently, this album launched the music mogul career of Richard Branson (no other label would take the risk of signing the artist).

It was most definitely ground-breaking at the time.

Hearing this today (on RadioParadise) certainly conjures up fond memories and goosebumps.

Enjoy!

2 versions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcVpbsDyOhM

This one is live:

Tubular Bells was the first vinyl LP I purchased, for $7.29. That was a lot of cash for music back then. I was barely a teen back then and listening to great music, thanks to my older brother and sisters.

For those thinking they haven't heard Mike Oldfield's TB before, perhaps you've seen the movie "The Exorcist" ?

Oldfield started working on Tubular Bells at age 18 and released it just after his 20th B-Day. Amazing.

Tubular Bells was the first vinyl LP I purchased, for $7.29. That was a lot of cash for music back then. I was barely a teen back then and listening to great music, thanks to my older brother and sisters.

Yep, I think I wore out the vinyl....

For those thinking they haven't heard Mike Oldfield's TB before, perhaps you've seen the movie "The Exorcist" ?

Oldfield started working on Tubular Bells at age 18 and released it just after his 20th B-Day. Amazing.

LOL. :)

I was intentionally a bit cryptic in my earlier post, to see if any of the young 'uns would know:

Aside from being the soundtrack to very famous movie most of us boomers will remember, apparently, this album launched the music mogul career of Richard Branson

Seeing the movie in the theater, back in days before Netflix, was a mind-blowing experience, to be sure.

One scary film and one groovy soundtrack!

Seeing the movie in the theater, back in days before Netflix, was a mind-blowing experience, to be sure.

One scary film and one groovy soundtrack!

I still remember seeing the the movie for the first time and the Saturday Night Live parody.

"Your mother sews socks that smell"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hahaha ! Straight from the resident Bonaholic ;)

I know, it's insane. After I posted the above link, I started looking around and found a lot of material from her on YT, from as young as 6 (she started playing at 3 apparently). The piece she did above was at a competition known as "Hit like a girl", which I think is a sublime name for a female drummer contest. She won the under 18y/o category, at age 11.

She's into fusion (what ?), jazz (what ??), rock, and more... We can see her playing Spain (Chick Corea) live at age 6, yeah...

Being the resident Totoholic, here's Kanade playing Child's Anthem at age 8 (though she doesn't look a day over 5 1/2 heh) :

Nice work on the cowbell !

Joe B would be happy with her as a band member :-)

I don't know if Mike Mangini still teaches now that he's with Dream Theater, but he could help her raise her level to stratospheric heights...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...