Class-action lawsuit against antivirus firm (avast) for selling data

pondus

• pondus changed the title to Class-action lawsuit against antivirus firm for selling data

The new umbrella company is called Gen Digital. (Shades of Jurassic Park InGen?).

Although still operating as a seperate company one thing that we have noticed at CCleaner forum is that support, which used to reply by email to raised tickets in hours, has recently changed and it can now take a week or more after raising a ticket to get a reply from a person.

(I'm aware that it's been like that with Malwarebytes support for much longer, it makes me wonder if it's something to do with the software being used by support, rather than just an insufficency of support staff numbers?)

2 hours ago, nukecad said:

(I'm aware that it's been like that with Malwarebytes support for much longer, it makes me wonder if it's something to do with the software being used by support, rather than just an insufficency of support staff numbers?)

If users would only use the support desk for license issues and come here for the rest it would not be overloaded.

Also since support rejects support requests unless you have a paid version of Malwarebytes, that has helped response times.

• Like 1

• Root Admin

Not without special software to do it. The browser standards won't allow it. Exfiltrating that much data even with a full AV install would more than likely get them caught and they'd need an extremely large digital farm to house that much data which would cost probably more than they could make from selling data.

• Like 2

I used to use Avast for awhile before I knew much about AV’s but stopped once I started hearing allegations about this all and I’m so glad I stopped using Avast. I can definitely say I no longer care for Avast in the slightest especially after seeing the allegations were true. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • pondus changed the title to Class-action lawsuit against antivirus firm (avast) for selling data
1 hour ago, pondus said:

FTC to ban Avast from selling browsing data for advertising purposes

I just learned a new word in this sentence. ""Moreover, the volume of data Avast released is staggering: the complaint alleges that by 2020 Jumpshot had amassed "more than eight petabytes of browsing information dating back to 2014."

Lifewire_petabyte_graphic.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/31/2023 at 1:44 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

Not without special software to do it. The browser standards won't allow it. Exfiltrating that much data even with a full AV install would more than likely get them caught and they'd need an extremely large digital farm to house that much data which would cost probably more than they could make from selling data.

On 2/22/2024 at 1:36 PM, NewTricks said:

I just learned a new word in this sentence. ""Moreover, the volume of data Avast released is staggering: the complaint alleges that by 2020 Jumpshot had amassed "more than eight petabytes of browsing information dating back to 2014."

Lifewire_petabyte_graphic.jpg

Just sayin

5 minutes ago, Siso503 said:

they'd need an extremely large digital farm to house that much data which would cost probably more than they could make from selling data.

I'm reassured by this reasoning from Advanced Setup, particularly the last part of the sentence.