Cannot Download Photos

general714

Hi - since FF updated to v80, I cannot download photos with Malwarebytes Browser Guard installed. Works fine without it there so it's not another add-on etc. Every time I try, it shows up as 'cancelled' in the download area, and I have to 'retry' it to get it to download.

I deleted and reinstalled the Browser Guard, same thing. Weirdly, even if I disable all four options on the Browser Guard I still cannot download the photos, I have to uninstall it to get this basic functionality back for FireFox.

Any ideas? I'd love to keep it installed but I do need to download photos routinely.

Thanks! 🙂

Just a 'me too' - with a couple of workrounds and a possible explanation.

I'm definitely now suspecting that this is a bug in Firefox v80.
It looks as if they may have set the default download protection too high?

@Popeye Where you see that circular arrow in the download manager click on it again to retry the download.
That has just worked for me with an image that hadn't downloaded/saved.

Second workround is to copy the image and then paste it into your image viewer/editor.

I haven't had a problem with PDFs.

I had first noticed this when trying to 'save-as' some images yesterday, doesn't matter what format they just wont 'save-as'.
I hadn't associated it with MBG though. (I thought it was because I was tethering 3G+ through a provider which has some strange default parental blocks set).

I updated Firefox to v80 earlier yesterday.

Looking a bit deeper:
In Options>General>Aplications it used to have a list of all possible download filetypes and how to handle the download.
Mine is now only showing 5 types, none of them image formats.
image.png.44f7d73df898f21aff2d069b70f09f6f.png

Edited by nukecad

After the canceled hitting the circular arrow works fine for photos "Save Image As" as a work around. Still can't download documents though even hitting the circular arrow.

Disable Malwarebytes, everything works perfect, no problems.

I have no problems with Chrome and Malwarebytes Browser Guard.

I'm not having a problem with documents, just images.

Maybe a difference between Mac and Windows?

9 minutes ago, Popeye said:

I have no problems with Chrome and Malwarebytes Browser Guard.

Which to me also points to something being changed in the Firefox update.

I have to go out for a couple of hours, I'll do some more 'playing' later.

Edited by nukecad

If it helps Malwarebytes Bug Team I'm also getting this on my Mac after hitting the circular arrow and before download complete with Save Image As:

"Show in Finder"

Show in finder.png

Edited by Popeye
1 hour ago, general714 said:

Definitely a bug with Malwarebytes Browser Guard as Firefox works fine without Malwarebytes messing it up. Would appreciate an update to fix it...

It's one of those things.

Mozilla change something and then everyone else has to adjust their apps to what mozilla have changed.

Not realy a bug by either party, just a bit of a catch-up lag.

1 hour ago, nukecad said:

Mozilla change something and then everyone else has to adjust their apps to what mozilla have changed.

I'll just disable Malwarebytes Browser Guard on Firefox if I need to download or Save Image As. Then enable it after the download. We'll wait for a fix. :)

I can confirm that disabling MBG allows the images to download as normal here.

Watching it in action with MBG enabled and downloading a large image it does seem to be downloading the image to 99.99% then says 'cancelled', but as soon as you click the retry arrow it immediately completes.

I guess there is some kind of clash between MBG and whatever it is that mozilla have changed, we'll just have to wait for the MBG team to adjust for the change.

Also odd that it's not affecting downloads of PDFs for me on Windows but is for you on Mac, that may be a pointer to what has been changed.

Edited by nukecad
2 hours ago, general714 said:

Tried that, doesn't work for me - need to disable the MB Browser Guard completely.

Same here with the "Save Image As" on photos. , need to disable MB Browser Guard.

But Good News, turning off "Scams" I can now download documents from my Credit Union and other websites.

EDIT: I was turning of "Scams" on individual websites and not "Apply To All Websites"

After turning off "Scam" to all websites I rebooted the Mac. That fixed the problem. Now I can "Save Image As" and download documents from websites. Thank you @adas

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 11.00.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 11.00.43 AM.png

Edited by Popeye
1 hour ago, Popeye said:

Same here with the "Save Image As" on photos. , need to disable MB Browser Guard.

But Good News, turning off "Scams" I can now download documents from my Credit Union and other websites.

EDIT: I was turning of "Scams" on individual websites and not "Apply To All Websites"

After turning off "Scam" to all websites I rebooted the Mac. That fixed the problem. Now I can "Save Image As" and download documents from websites. Thank you @adas

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 11.00.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 11.00.43 AM.png

Sorry, I don't see that Malwarebytes menu in Firefox 80 in Windows 10 > Tools > Add-ons. Where does it hide? Thanks.

Make sure Browser Guard is enabled. Open Firefox browser. In the Tool Bar upper right, left click the Malwarebytes Icon. Click the gear wheel. Disable "Scams"

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 12.55.17 PM.png

Edited by Popeye

Well I updated Firefox to V80.0.1 and turned on the "Scams" so all 4 protection buttons are enabled on MB Browser Guard.

Results now:

I can download documents on all websites, which I couldn't do with the previous version of Firefox.

I still cannot "Save Image As" for pics.

I'll turn off "Scams" again where everything works and wait for another update.

On 8/30/2020 at 6:02 PM, Popeye said:

Make sure Browser Guard is enabled. Open Firefox browser. In the Tool Bar upper right, left click the Malwarebytes Icon. Click the gear wheel. Disable "Scams"

Thanks for this workaround, Popeye, much appreciated. As you say, we'll just have to wait for updates to get it fixed but the workaround is great.