macOS 11.0 Big Sur Compatibility Requirements.

Which Macs can run macOS 11 Big Sur?

• MacBook (2015 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (2013 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Late 2013 or newer)
  • Mac mini (2014 or newer)
  • iMac (2014 or newer)
  • iMac Pro (from 2017)
  • Mac Pro (2013 or newer)

Reference: https://www.apple.com/macos/big-sur-preview/

Edited by 1PW

@1PW , Is this a free upgrade for those who may not be able to afford to upgrade to the latest OS Catalina? I don't have a Mac presently but in the future I plan to go with a Mac because there are IMO happen to be more less issues when they update there OS for security reasons and other issues. etc. 

Edited by Hardhead
Change wording

@Hardhead  It will be installed on new Macs after September 2020 and as a free upgrade from September 2020 on Macs that have been indicated by @1PW and on subsequent ones.

For the purchase of a Mac I would recommend waiting because starting from the end of 2020, in a time of about 2 years, the entire Mac line-up will switch to Arm-based processors created internally by Apple - Ax Series, therefore buy a Mac with Intel now: how long will it be supported?

4 minutes ago, MAXBAR1 said:

For the purchase of a Mac I would recommend waiting because starting from the end of 2020, in a time of about 2 years, the entire Mac line-up will switch to Arm-based processors created internally by Apple - Ax Series, therefore buy a Mac with Intel now: how long will it be supported?

Getting an Intel based system would be better for Windows/Wine compatibility most likely though, so if that's a factor it would be best not to wait, especially if planning to run Windows natively on the machine via dual booting through Bootcamp or whatever is used for that purpose on modern Macs these days.

Of course once they do switch to ARM, the Intel models will probably drop in price significantly too.

Edited by exile360

4 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Getting an Intel based system would be better for Windows/Wine compatibility most likely though, so if that's a factor it would be best not to wait, especially if planning to run Windows natively on the machine via dual booting through Bootcamp or whatever is used for that purpose on modern Macs these days.

Yes I'm familiar wit dual booting and BootCamp and I know about Windows testing Linux kernel terminal app in Windows called The Verge.

Hello @Hardhead:

6 hours ago, Hardhead said:

... Yes it gonna take a while before I can afford to switch over but look forward to it ...

In terms of price only, a good Mac, from about 3 or 4 years ago, will still carry a heavy market price but will permit the user to run macOS 11 and likely macOS 12.

• Staff
20 hours ago, Hardhead said:

@1PW , Is this a free upgrade for those who may not be able to afford to upgrade to the latest OS Catalina?

Just to clarify, all macOS updates for quite some time have been free. Apple makes its money on the hardware, not the system. :)

Regarding whether to wait to buy a new machine or not, I'd say that depends on your needs. If you find yourself unable to do what you need to do with your current machine, don't wait. Just buy whatever is available now. Suffering while waiting for some anticipated hardware can often result in disappointment if you don't find the hardware to be worth the suffering once it's delivered.

Also, though this wasn't answered, you can't install Malwarebytes for Mac on Big Sur betas right now. However, some very rough initial testing of a development build with the EndpointSecurity framework code didn't turn up any issues! :D So I'm very hopeful that we'll have a Big Sur-ready release before Big Sur is out of beta. And all Malwarebytes updates are also free... if you've paid for Premium, you get Premium on any future versions as well, for the duration of your subscription, without having to repurchase.

@treed 

one question about the future version of Malwarebytes

Will the versions of Malwarebytes compatible with BigSur and following be compatible with Catalina? I ask because I have a MacBook Pro Mid 2012 and I am excluded from the macOS update.

Another question: what will happen once there will be Apple Silicon? Will there still be an Intel Compatible Malwarebytes version?

Thanks

Edited by MAXBAR1

• Staff

Yup, absolutely! Malwarebytes for Mac will continue to be compatible with older systems that can use kernel extensions for quite some time, and will support Catalina and Big Sur using the EndpointSecurity framework. The same will be true of Intel vs Apple Silicon apps.

Of course, at some point in the future, we'll have to end support for Intel and systems older than Catalina, but that won't happen for years.

Thanks 🙏 everyone for all the the information. I came real close to getting a Mac 2020 Air Pro on eBay that came with Catalina 1GB SSD, 8GBs of ram and 3 year Apple support. I don’t remember the processor size. It sold for 980.00 was the highest bid. I’m just not able to do that right now and it may be years before I can but I’m not going to worry about it for now. 
I do have one question though and I think that the answer is no but I’m going to ask anyway. If I have a Lifetime license which I do. Would I be able to transfer that license from my old laptop to a new Mac laptop?