Win 10 1909 RTM is here, but it's optional for now.

nukecad

It's Patch Tuesday, so I went to Settings>Update & Security and used "Check for Updates".

I got 3 listed, a Defender Definition update (standard, more than once everyday), a Malicious Software Removal Tool update (standard, for Patch Tuesday), and a 1903 Cumulative update (KB4524570).

After those and a restart I went back to "Check for updates" and 1909 is offered as an "Optional" update.

From what I have read this is the way 1909 is  being released  - It's being done that way so that it gives you even more choice whether you want to download/install it yet or not.
If you want 1909 then click on 'Download and install now', otherwise just leave the option alone until you are ready.

Now the interesting bit:
I clicked to "Download and install" the Optional update to 1909.
Nothing further downloaded, (I was watching Task Manager) and after about 30 seconds of 'Installing' Windows then asked for another Restart - which took about 2 minutes to install 1909 .

This explains why:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4524570/windows-10-update-kb4524570

the new features in Windows 10, version 1909 were included in the recent monthly quality update for Windows 10, version 1903 (released October 8, 2019), but are currently in a dormant state. These new features will remain dormant until they are turned on using an enablement package, which is a small, quick-to-install “master switch” that simply activates the Windows 10, version 1909 features.

I've not noticed much difference yet, I've not had time to do a good look around.
But one thing I did check and the 'just type to search' on the start menu is working for me again. (It had stopped a few patch Tuesdays ago).

Edited by nukecad

My device got the same Microsoft cumulative updates as in your but however my device is once again not ready for the latest Windows 10 version 1909 because I checked on the manufacture website and they haven’t offering a new drivers for the latest version of windows v 1909 and not sure what should to do I do now . so should to not install this update ?

Edited by Gt-truth
typo

2 hours ago, 1PW said:

Hello @Gt-truth:

If you have a recent verified image or verified full system backup, the only thing you have to lose is some of your time.

hello @1PW

NO ,, I do not have an system’s image nor a full backup yet.

2 hours ago, 1PW said:

Has your computer's manufacturer specifically announced applicably updated drivers are mandatory for W10 1909?

HTH

I truly not sure on this one because I do not want to mess with the new windows installation (currently installed is windows 10 version 1903) and do not want to make a risk by installing the 1909 update so I’ll just wait for a few days .

Edited by Gt-truth

It's hard to say one way or the other; it may be OK but Windows Updates have had problems with some specific drivers in the past.

As it's being offered as an Optional update then, as you seem to have had driver issues in the past, then if you want to be careul I would leave it for a while and check on the web for reports of any problems that others may be seeing.

The known issues with 1909 can be found here (currently there are 3 acknowledged issues, all of which are also known issues in 1903):
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1909

The main one of those 3 is a wifi issue with some older Qualcom drivers. (If you are not already seeing that on 1903 then you should be good).
The Bluetooth issue has been resolved, and unless you are in China, Japan, or Korea the the other one shouldn't affect you.

Edited by nukecad

Microsoft is blocking Windows 10 1903 and 1909 upgrades for some antivirus users

"https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-is-blocking-windows-10-1903-and-1909-upgrades-for-some-antivirus-users/"

If you're running an older version of Windows 10 with Avast or AVG antivirus software, you'll want to hold off on something newer. Microsoft has added a known issue to its Windows 10 Health Dashboard for both version 1903 and version 1909, citing only compatibility issues with the two AV apps.

Right now, there's a hold on installing the two versions of Windows 10, so you won't even get them offered to you through Windows Update. You might be able to use the Media Creation Tool, so there's a note with Microsoft recommending that you don't so that.

The known issue is listed as Mitigated External. That means that it's not something that's going to be fixed in Windows 10. Instead, it's up to the software vendors to fix their apps. The good news is that updates are available, according to support documents from AVG and Avast. You'll want to make sure that you're not on version 19.5 or earlier.

Also be aware that even if you upgrade your antivirus software, the block from upgrading Windows 10 will not be removed. This is typical behavior from Microsoft, as it usually provides a fair amount of time to allow all users to upgrade their AV software before lifting the block.

Microsoft blocks Windows 10 upgrades for these Avast and AVG users

"https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-blocks-windows-10-upgrades-for-these-avast-and-avg-users/"

Microsoft has implemented compatibility upgrade blocks on Windows 10 devices running certain versions of Avast, AVG and Qualcomm drivers.

Edited by sman