Update Package Version

Just in my opinion it would be very convenient if the forum had a section where would be the update log for Update Package Version, where would bot post all updates.

Just a suggestion, if you have not yet considered this possibility.

While we have no bot for that purpose, a member of the Malwarebytes staff does regularly create a new pinned topic this area whenever a new version is released.  For example, on the day that version 3.8.3 was published they created this topic.  They generally post the new version number along with a brief description of the changes, bug-fixes and new features.

Additionally, you may find the release history for Malwarebytes for Windows on the right side of this page.  Just click on the Release History item on the right and it will expand to reveal the list of releases, though generally speaking the forums here are generally updated with a new pinned topic more quickly (as mentioned, on the same day as the release).

I hope this helps, and if there is anything else we might assist you with please let us know.

Thanks

17 hours ago, exile360 said:

While we have no bot for that purpose, a member of the Malwarebytes staff does regularly create a new pinned topic this area whenever a new version is released.  For example, on the day that version 3.8.3 was published they created this topic.  They generally post the new version number along with a brief description of the changes, bug-fixes and new features.

Additionally, you may find the release history for Malwarebytes for Windows on the right side of this page.  Just click on the Release History item on the right and it will expand to reveal the list of releases, though generally speaking the forums here are generally updated with a new pinned topic more quickly (as mentioned, on the same day as the release).

I hope this helps, and if there is anything else we might assist you with please let us know.

Thanks

You do not quite understand what I meant.

You mean new versions of programm and component package version what are really posted on the forum when release.

I specifically meant Update package version which updates are not shown anywhere, therefore I initially asked if it is possible to see the update history somewhere but did not receive answer on my question.

No this is not shown anywhere what you mean. You can have more of this updates in a day even, it would be quit a hassle to put everything in text what has changed. If for example have hundred of new positives, how would you want to see this? It is impossible what you ask, even other AV vendors are not doing this at any way, nor does Windows Defender.

They would need some persons that have an every day day task for changing this text every few hours....Some things written extra, other removed, or changed... So don't even think that Malwarebytes will do this.

1 hour ago, SPDIF said:

No this is not shown anywhere what you mean. You can have more of this updates in a day even, it would be quit a hassle to put everything in text what has changed. If for example have hundred of new positives, how would you want to see this? It is impossible what you ask, even other AV vendors are not doing this at any way, nor does Windows Defender.

They would need some persons that have an every day day task for changing this text every few hours....Some things written extra, other removed, or changed... So don't even think that Malwarebytes will do this.

I didn’t say that I want them to post detail information of new versions with all changes.

Just the new versions themselves right down to the latest, or regularly update the the last current version, without changelogs or detail information.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/1/2019 at 9:17 AM, SPDIF said:

..You can have more of this updates in a day even, it would be quit a hassle to put everything in text what has changed. If for example have hundred of new positives, how would you want to see this? It is impossible what you ask, even other AV vendors are not doing this at any way, nor does Windows Defender.

Hi SPDIF:

Symantec posts this information online at https://www.symantec.com/security_response/definitions.jsp for my Norton Security antivirus.  For example, the section for File-Based Protection (Traditional Antivirus) currently shows that I should have SDS Definition set v20190909.001 (09-Sep-2019 Revision 1, Sequence # 202134) on my local hard drive at C:\Program Files\Norton Security\NortonData\<product version number>\Definitions\SDSDefs if my virus definitions are  fully up-to-date...

2104819619_SymantecDefinitionsFile-BasedProtectionSequenceNumber09Sep2019.png.52af700347bd6d81d116d7d1c3c287d2.png

472762726_SymantecSDSDefsVersionNortonDataFolder09Sep2019.png.66f28f62b3b68e77952a2a0a7b93fa60.png

...and clicking the Release History link allows me to view a list of the threat detections added or modified in that definition set.  I can also drill down by clicking on the link for each threat name, which opens a detailed technical report (e.g., clicking the Adware.Clickpotato link opens the write up at https://www.symantec.com/security-center/writeup/2010-112412-0334-99).

1273397624_SymantecDefinitionsFile-BasedProtectionReleaseNotes09Sep2019.png.b8f86633bba70f7ddad6abeb144d7ff7.png

I assume this information is all compiled and posted on the web via automated scripts with little human intervention.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22 * Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365

Edited by lmacri

On 8/1/2019 at 9:17 AM, SPDIF said:

...other AV vendors are not doing this at any way, nor does Windows Defender...

Hi SPIDF:

... and Microsoft posts basic information on newly added and updated threat detections for their Windows Defender definitions in the release notes at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions/antimalware-definition-release-notes.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22 * Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365

Edited by lmacri

14 hours ago, lmacri said:

Hi SPIDF:

... and Microsoft posts basic information on newly added and updated threat detections for their Windows Defender definitions in the release notes at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions/antimalware-definition-release-notes.
-------------

Yes, this is true, however that's due to the fact that updates for Defender/MSE are published as Windows Updates.  Back when it was Windows Live OnceCare they did not do this, and if Defender/MSE were decoupled from Windows Update, I'm pretty confident they would not publish that information.  That's not to say it isn't a nice idea, it's just that it's an awful lot of additional work for a research team to maintain such information for every update that gets published, especially when there are on average 10 or more updates published per day (I don't believe Defender/MSE gets updated that frequently; usually only somewhere in the area of 3~4 times per day max I believe, though someone more familiar with it can confirm).

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Alpharius said:

So new Component Package Version 1.0.627 released ?   Just don't see it in announcement tread.

Hi Alpharius:

I just checked again and Erix still hasn't posted a change log for Component Package v1.0.627 in his pinned thread MB 3.8 is Here, but based on recent comments <here> by Malwarebytes employee Liquid Tension I'm guessing this new Component Package is being tested as a bug fix for a known issue in v1.0.625 where the Ransomware Protection module causes significant memory usage and freezing on some systems.
-------------

Edited by lmacri

7 hours ago, lmacri said:

Hi Alpharius:

I just checked again and Erix still hasn't posted a change log for Component Package v1.0.627 in his pinned thread MB 3.8 is Here, but based on recent comments <here> by Malwarebytes employee Liquid Tension I'm guessing this new Component Package is being tested as a bug fix for a known issue in v1.0.625 where the Ransomware Protection module causes significant memory usage and freezing on some systems.
-------------

I see, now it’s clear why there has not yet been a message about new version of Component package version.

Thank you for explanation.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question.

Let's say there is a file that seems suspicious to me, however, it cannot be verified with VirusTotal due to too much volume and I'm not sure that Malwarebytes find something there.

Is there a topic on the forum where you can provide a link to the file or the file itself for verification by other people ?

No, there isn't.  In a case like that I'd suggest scanning it with Malwarebytes, making sure your system is online so that Malwarebytes' cloud components can also take a look at it, and then wait for the VT scan to complete (I've never had to wait more than like 30 seconds or so as they have some pretty robust servers/bandwidth), and of course there are also other scanners and file analysis tools online that you can use to get second opinions on suspect files.

With that said, if you have a file that you do believe to be malicious that Malwarebytes isn't detecting, there are areas to submit such files, however they require that you provide VT scan results for the file so submitting suspect files there because you can't wait for VT would kind of defeat the purpose.

4 minutes ago, exile360 said:

No, there isn't.  In a case like that I'd suggest scanning it with Malwarebytes, making sure your system is online so that Malwarebytes' cloud components can also take a look at it, and then wait for the VT scan to complete (I've never had to wait more than like 30 seconds or so as they have some pretty robust servers/bandwidth), and of course there are also other scanners and file analysis tools online that you can use to get second opinions on suspect files.

With that said, if you have a file that you do believe to be malicious that Malwarebytes isn't detecting, there are areas to submit such files, however they require that you provide VT scan results for the file so submitting suspect files there because you can't wait for VT would kind of defeat the purpose.

I don’t quite understand how to manually scan ZIP files with Malwarebytes, I right click on the file and click scan however scan passes strange, firstly it goes too fast and secondly writes that only one file is scanned, is it normal or I do something wrong ?