Does my 'premium' account include multiple devices?

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab
    Repair menu_arrows.png

7. Click the Gather Logs button
    Advanced_arrows.png

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer
    Advanced Gather Logs_arrows.png

9. Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Advanced Gather Logs completed_arrows.png

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:
     notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

13 minutes ago, SteveBerer said:

Hi. I just bought 2 years of Malwarebytes usage. Does that purchase allow me to install and use MWB on more than one device? Or am I limited to only one device unless I want to ante up more money?
Thanks.
Steve

Only if when you purchased you chose to do so for more than one device. But only for up the number of devices you paid for at the time of purchase.

2019-02-14_10h57_26.png

Edited by Porthos

9 minutes ago, SteveBerer said:

Hi Porthos. All for one and one for all, eh, but it seems to me that that isn't the MWB approach, since the add-on fee is pretty substantial, unlike most other anti-virus products. I get 3 devices with McA. for the same price as MWB's one device. Seems off to me.
Steve

As a long time user and a reseller for Malwarebytes, I agree with you. Additional devices are offered at a discount at the time of purchase.  It only goes up about $17us for the second device.

Knowing MB like I do I belive it is a good investment.

Edited by Porthos

Thanks. Hear you. I saw "premium" and assumed multiple devices. Most other software I pay for calls a 1-device account a 'standard' account. Buyer beware and all, but you know, I don't want to buy from people I have to beware of. Just sayin'. I tried adding more devices after the original purchase, and it looked to me like it was going to cost way more than $17/device. Anyway, I just bought a new laptop with McA for 3 devices included, so that's the road I'm gonna have to go down, tho I think MWB has better anti-virus chops. Alas.

Thanx for your help.
Steve

• 10 months later...

Could a knowledgeable individual please clarify how Malwarebytes interpret "device" ?  I had assumed that if (for example) one is a PC user, then one PC = one device.  But it would seem that this is not true.  I have a bona fide copy of Malwarebytes Premium (lifetime licence) running on an RM i7 PC under Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit), but the machine is set to dual-boot, the other operating system also being Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit) but with no additional applications installed (it is used for testing malfunctioning software, so kept in a virgin state other than anti-virus (Sophos) and anti-malware (MWB) utilities).  Whilst I can activate my copy of Malwarebytes Premium under the virgin O/S, I am told when I look at my account that I am currently using more devices than my licence is valid for.

30 minutes ago, Philip-Taylor said:

Whilst I can activate my copy of Malwarebytes Premium under the virgin O/S, I am told when I look at my account that I am currently using more devices than my licence is valid for.

One device is one device. Each dual/mulit boot or virtual device counts as one device each.

Continuing to use the key on more than one device(OS) even if it is the same physical computer will get the key blacklisted.

Edited by Porthos

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

One device is one device. Each dual/mulit boot or virtual device counts as one device each.

Continuing to use the key on more than one device(OS) even if it is the same physical computer will get the key blacklisted.

Thank you for that clarification, Porthos.  Clearly not what I was hoping to hear, so I will have to temporarily downgrade the MWB protection on the primary O/S in order to be able to use the full product in the testing O/S.

1 minute ago, Philip-Taylor said:

Thank you for that clarification, Porthos.  Clearly not what I was hoping to hear, so I will have to temporarily downgrade the MWB protection on the primary O/S in order to be able to use the full product in the testing O/S.

Be sure to deactivate it before moving around.

Yes, unfortunately it is a limitation of the license validation system.  Under a different OS there is no way for the product to know that it is just a different installation on the same machine (this is why it is also important to deactivate your license before reinstalling Windows if possible, otherwise you should do so by accessing your account at My.Malwarebytes.com otherwise it may fail to activate when you reinstall the software).

It seems to me, in the light of the information kindly supplied by Porthos and Exile360, that the Adobe Creative Cloud licensing model is much superior in this respect.  Adobe CC allows me to install it on as many "devices" as I wish, to activate it on at most two, and to use it on at most one, concurrently.  If I try to activate it on a 3rd device, I am told that I must deactivate it on another, and I am allowed to perform that deactivation remotely and in real time.  Would there be any support for a formal proposal to Malwarebytes that they adopt the Adobe CC licensing model ?

You actually can deactivate remotely via the My.Malwarebytes.com site and you can also use the 'Deactivate all' function to completely reset/deactivate the software from all devices (very useful for multi-device licenses).  You can install the software on as many devices as you wish; there is no difference between the free version and the Premium version except that the paid features are activated once you enter your license key to turn free into Premium, and if you attempt to activate the software on too many devices it informs you that the number of devices has been exceeded so that you can go to your account at My.Malwarebytes.com to deactivate a device if you wish to.

10 hours ago, Philip-Taylor said:

Would there be any support for a formal proposal to Malwarebytes that they adopt the Adobe CC licensing model ?

Doubt it, The lifetime key was always a ONE device license and the subscriptions are also sold by device albeit discounts for multiable devices.

• Root Admin

The Adobe Creative Cloud licensing model is a lot different. It has no real time protection operations going on. I have and use Adobe CC and it can run on more than one device at least for short periods of time before it kicks in to stop you. Malwarebytes needs to run 24/7/365 in order to protect your computer. If you simply want it to run when you log in then the computer is not going to be as well protected which is not a model we're wanting to support. We want your system to be protected at all times.